Ask a AT&T Rep!

BoomerSooner

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I am curretly using the Unicel network, but Unicel has been purchased by AT&T. According to the store here, the deal should be finalized in December. I was previously using a friend's 3G with a Unicel sim card, that is, until I clicked "Yes" in Itunes to upgrade to 3.1. I didn't have a clue about jailbroken phones, and didn't know his had been. The phone locked up.

Fast forward to October 1st. I purchased a 16Gb 3Gs with the latest firmware 3.1 and baseband software version. The phone is locked to AT&T. I received some bad info prior to purchase and cannot use the phone. Do I have any hope of ever being able to use the phone?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I am curretly using the Unicel network, but Unicel has been purchased by AT&T. According to the store here, the deal should be finalized in December. I was previously using a friend's 3G with a Unicel sim card, that is, until I clicked "Yes" in Itunes to upgrade to 3.1. I didn't have a clue about jailbroken phones, and didn't know his had been. The phone locked up.

Fast forward to October 1st. I purchased a 16Gb 3Gs with the latest firmware 3.1 and baseband software version. The phone is locked to AT&T. I received some bad info prior to purchase and cannot use the phone. Do I have any hope of ever being able to use the phone?

Please note that when talking about Jailbroken and Unlocked iPhones, I cannot speak on behalf of AT&T OR as an AT&T employee and you would probably find more information on a forum like ModMyI. As such, it wouldn't be proper for me to discuss unlocking.

In regard to the Unicel aquisition, I'm not sure of the timeframe for full conversion. Basically it comes down to whether you will still be a Unicel customer with a Unicel SIM card, or if at a later point your plan and numbers will be ported over to the AT&T billing system and You are given an actual AT&T SIM card. You might want to look into or ask customers of Dobson that was acquired a couple years ago. You may have to wait until a contract renewal (and plan change) to be converted to AT&T's billing system and SIM access.

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
PostalUT, Thanx for takeing the time to share your Xpertiece and time. This may have been asked only I haven't been able to find it. Is there any way to get the new A T & T Carrier Files when they are released besides upgrading on iTunes ?

juststart

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I signed up through the ATT premier website. The company I'm working at offers a discount so it helped make the jump from T-mo much more palatable. I'm a little confused about the setup. They asked me to verify at the business enrollment website (did that) and also sign up at the regular wireless.att site. It's my understanding that the two don't really intersect...? Do I pay my bills on the regular site or the premier? Come to think of it, I don't think I have any kind of logon for the premier. Do they email the work address a lot because I'd like to just change it over to my personal... sorry for the multitude of questions just trying to get the hang of a new carrier. Thanks for any help.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
PostalUT, Thanx for takeing the time to share your Xpertiece and time. This may have been asked only I haven't been able to find it. Is there any way to get the new A T & T Carrier Files when they are released besides upgrading on iTunes ?

As far I've seen, they are only available officially through iTunes. If you do some googling you can probably find others but I can't point you to specific sites because that would be a violation of both AT&T and Apple EULA's. Can I ask a bit more specifically about what you would need these other carrier files for?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I signed up through the ATT premier website. The company I'm working at offers a discount so it helped make the jump from T-mo much more palatable. I'm a little confused about the setup. They asked me to verify at the business enrollment website (did that) and also sign up at the regular wireless.att site. It's my understanding that the two don't really intersect...? Do I pay my bills on the regular site or the premier? Come to think of it, I don't think I have any kind of logon for the premier. Do they email the work address a lot because I'd like to just change it over to my personal... sorry for the multitude of questions just trying to get the hang of a new carrier. Thanks for any help.

You're premier status is attached to your consumer account by way of a FAN IRU number (you can find this out if you need it but it should be already attached to your account. It should show as a discount on your regular bill). The premier site merely functions as a portal to purchase new devices and, in some cases, discounted accessories depending on your company's agreement with AT&T. To pay your bill or manage your account, you will just use the normal consumer portal. I wouldn't worry too much about the premier portal as the "discounted" devices that are offered are offered at a discount of up to 50% off the non-contract prices of these phones. If you choose to go this route, you still have to sign a two-year contract (in most cases). Usually you get a much better deal by just purchasing through a consumer outlet (web, phone, or store). And don't worry about being a premier customer, as long as you are the one with financial responsibility on the account, you can still be served in all of the usual customer facing outlets with a few differences. When you call in to 611 or go to the web site, it will be classified as business customer care. There will be no difference in-store.

tredstone

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Question - if you're on a contract with an iphone data plan but you decide to stop using your iphone (or say it gets stolen), can you call up AT&T and ask them to drop you from the data plan?

IGoSlo

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone is JB and I don't need to update the entire OS when Apple drops a new update. E.I. 3.0 to 3.1 they are NOT that Xtremely changed. I have everything in my JB 3.0 SMS and a few other toys NOT available with Official Apple iPhone (UN-JB).
Mailnly with the A T & T Carrier files, I was wanting to keep the "Phone" & Data files current. I have found a few sites the had 5.6 posted, but I woudl much rather DN from an "Official" Site... Less chances of infection... Thanx

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Question - if you're on a contract with an iphone data plan but you decide to stop using your iphone (or say it gets stolen), can you call up AT&T and ask them to drop you from the data plan?

Yes. But AT&T will ask for the IMEI of your replacement device so make sure you have one as a backup (I keep my old blackberry and samsung slider just in case)

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
My iPhone is JB and I don't need to update the entire OS when Apple drops a new update. E.I. 3.0 to 3.1 they are NOT that Xtremely changed. I have everything in my JB 3.0 SMS and a few other toys NOT available with Official Apple iPhone (UN-JB).
Mailnly with the A T & T Carrier files, I was wanting to keep the "Phone" & Data files current. I have found a few sites the had 5.6 posted, but I woudl much rather DN from an "Official" Site... Less chances of infection... Thanx

Unfortunately iTunes is the only official outlet that i know of for carrier files. It's just something you have to give up when JB.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
now i know where to go if i have problems

Lol. We try our best. Just make sure that your questions don't require me to give any information that could violate Apple's EULA or AT&T's TOS. If in doubt ask away and we can make that determination.

tredstone

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Two questions

1) Does AT&T still charge a fee for not activating your iPhone within 30 days?

2) I just got a new iPhone from an early upgrade but am at the end of my billing cycle for the month. If I activate now will I have to pay the +$30 data plan for the entire month?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Two questions

1) Does AT&T still charge a fee for not activating your iPhone within 30 days?

2) I just got a new iPhone from an early upgrade but am at the end of my billing cycle for the month. If I activate now will I have to pay the +$30 data plan for the entire month?

1) I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you mean you signed the contract got the phone but haven't connected to iTunes yet? If you elaborate a bit more I can give you a better answer.

2) You will only be charged a prorated portion of the data plan. It's calculated as follows: (Number of days that you used it)/(30 days) x $30. Your first bill may also show the iPhone data plan paid through to the next month because AT&T's billing system bills in advance (with the exception of usage charges)

tredstone

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I had heard that AT&T was charging people who weren't activating their iPhone within the first 30 days the difference of the subsidy in order to discourage people just buying it and then unlocking/selling.

Mattheous

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I want to get an iPhone next month (as my contract with my current carrier expires soon). But I'm confused as to the billing.

1) What will my first month's bill be? I have the cheapest possible everything on the plan, and the $5 (200 messages) text plan.

2) How does the billing statement cycle? If I get it on a certain day of the month, will the billing statement by due that day the next month?

3) I read on the forums that the billing is paid in advance--does that mean I have to pay for two months at a time?!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods