Ask a AT&T Rep!

mickeykool

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately there is only one way to have data service only on the iPhone and it probably won't apply to you. THe iphone can be set up on a special $40 a month Text + Data only plan if you are deaf or hard of hearing, which requires a special form to be signed by a doctor.

As for using the unlocked Storm, it's absolutely possible. Data service on a non Laptop Connect device without voice is $35 a month. You could then use the iPhone on T-Mo after you unlock it.

$40 / month? I have the unlimited data and text plan w/o voice but I'm paying $50 thou. I have the 3Gs phone btw if this matters.

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
as for the o symbol during a game, that is probably because 20,000 people are all using data on the same single tower at the same time. I have experienced this myself. We all know how spotty the network can be in congested areas such as Chicago during peak times. Have you had your sim card replaced?

those were my thoughts to, ecept its not just at the game, its at home and pretty much wherever o go, and yes I have had my sim replaced, maybe a month or two ago

blakejackson

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
wow...that's not normal. Are other people in your area with iphones experiencing similar problems? If not, I would be calling apple for a warranty replacement.

anon(4671651)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
im going to an apple store tommorow, hopefully itll be smooth!
most people arent, since theres a lot of buisness people in my area, they all have iphones anyway.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
$40 / month? I have the unlimited data and text plan w/o voice but I'm paying $50 thou. I have the 3Gs phone btw if this matters.

Are you deaf or hard of hearing? Or did you manager to get a Data + Text plan on its own? I'm curious because the last three I've activated were $40 a month though it's been some months.

mickeykool

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Are you deaf or hard of hearing? Or did you manager to get a Data + Text plan on its own? I'm curious because the last three I've activated were $40 a month though it's been some months.

I am deaf and did have to fill out the TAP forms to get data plan rate. I'm paying $30 for unlimited data and $20 unlimited text.

J.McRae718

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately there is only one way to have data service only on the iPhone and it probably won't apply to you. THe iphone can be set up on a special $40 a month Text + Data only plan if you are deaf or hard of hearing, which requires a special form to be signed by a doctor.

As for using the unlocked Storm, it's absolutely possible. Data service on a non Laptop Connect device without voice is $35 a month. You could then use the iPhone on T-Mo after you unlock it.

What happens if I call in and claim my phone as lost/stolen. What approach does AT&T take then?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I am deaf and did have to fill out the TAP forms to get data plan rate. I'm paying $30 for unlimited data and $20 unlimited text.

Good to know. We rarely activate these plans but I'm glad that AT&T is doing a reasonable job of matching t-mobile and their sidekick for the deaf community which I feel is many ways was overlooked before the iphone.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
What happens if I call in and claim my phone as lost/stolen. What approach does AT&T take then?

You can request a block on the line until you can get a new sim card and phone to activate on that line. They will also remove the iPhone data plan on your account unless you activate a new iPhone.

Unfortunately there's no insurance available unless you insured through your homeowner's insurance (PLEASE DO THIS!!!!).

ryanlberg

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
how do you do this (Unfortunately there's no insurance available unless you insured through your homeowners insurance (PLEASE DO THIS!!!!). you just tell them you want to insure a iphone ?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
how do you do this (Unfortunately there's no insurance available unless you insured through your homeowners insurance (PLEASE DO THIS!!!!). you just tell them you want to insure a iphone ?

What I did was contact the agent in charge of my renter's insurance and ask if I could have my iPhone covered outside of the home. THey put what's called a rider onto my current coverage to cover damage theft and loss outside or inside the home. Some insurance companies may not let you do this. Some might. It's really just luck of the draw.

If this option isn't available, the next best option is to go to SquareTrade.com and sign up for one of their warranty plans. THeir warranties will cover everything except loss or theft. It's not total coverage, but if you sign up for mobile me, you can track the iphone and maybe hunt it down.

matthew23

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
I agree the AT&T network in Chicago is terrible. I either get the o a lot or get call failed. Even if the call does go through it might take a minute. Very frustrating. I came from sprint and never had one problem. Downtown is the worst!

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
I agree the AT&T network in Chicago is terrible. I either get the o a lot or get call failed. Even if the call does go through it might take a minute. Very frustrating. I came from sprint and never had one problem. Downtown is the worst!

The 2 times I've been to Chicago in the last couple years the service has been fine. I have issues when visiting NYC.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Official unlocking by ATT after 2 year commitment?

Is there ANY chance that ATT will officially unlock the iPhone after the 2 year contract period is over (and they have recouped their subsidy)?

Any chance that they'll change the policy in the next 2 years?

I don't get it. They do this with all other phones. Why not the iPhone?

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Horrible reception at home - how to recieve calls?

I have terrible signal strength at home (it even drops the signal altogether and goes to "SOS calls only" mode on my Treo 650).

Hopefully, newer technology in the iPhone will make it more usable. If not, what are my options for receiving calls to my number at home (i have Wifi at home)? I won't make outgoing calls on my iPhone, but I would like to recieve calls on it.

Any way to receive calls on Wifi? Can ATT forward my calls to my landline (which is also by ATT by the way) when I am at home?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Is there ANY chance that ATT will officially unlock the iPhone after the 2 year contract period is over (and they have recouped their subsidy)?

Any chance that they'll change the policy in the next 2 years?

I don't get it. They do this with all other phones. Why not the iPhone?

More than likely not. Unless the government steps in or their agreement with Apple is over. They don't want to see flocks of 2G owners felleing to t-mo or cin-bell.

alokeprasad

Feb 18, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, I don't understand.. You think ATT will not unlock the iPhones (that have fulfilled their commitment period) 2 years from now?

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, I don't understand.. You think ATT will not unlock the iPhones (that have fulfilled their commitment period) 2 years from now?

Sorry if I was unclear. I do not think AT&T will give unlock codes for iPhoes after 2 years at least until the exclusivity runs out.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com

That's odd. I have the best reception anywhere I've been in the Chicago area. No complaints what so ever.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro