Ask a AT&T Rep!

littlefixit

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Going to the store and waiting on line at 7am to switch it out.

Just make sure your store doesn't decide to leave you waiting outside until 9:00am because you didn't pre-order like the one near me is going to. I'm only glad I called and found out that the salesperson I spoke with was a completely uninformed idiot.

I hate salespeople who don't care enough to make sure their customers have the right information... and would rather get roasted than to confirm information they're uncertain of. Oh well--happy to oblige.

5hazam

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I finally upgraded from Iphone 2G to 3GS. My 2G was jailbroken so I figured it was "Unlocked". NEways, I dropped my daughters AT&T Sim in it and reverted to "connect to Itunes." I tried restoring it under ITunes 8.0 ver. Itunes then asked me to select Data Plan. I don't want to get data plan for my daughter just yet. I just want my daughter to be able to use the Iphone as a phone and without upgrading to a data plan. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

doorsunopened

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Hello. I'm a forum noob so please be nice :)

I have a question about AT&T. I have two accounts with them, one is personal and the other is a work account. I have an iPhone 3G on my personal account, but it is not eligible for upgrade until winter time. TOO LONG!
I do have a handset on my work account that is eligible for upgrade. Is it possible to upgrade that phone to an iPhone 3GS and swap it so it has my personal number instead of my work number by switching the SIM cards? I would just be switching the card from my 3G iPhone to the new one, then replacing the work SIM card back into my old work phone, which needs to be a Windows Mobile phone for my job.
Is this possible? Am I going to be able to switch the phone plan so I'm not paying for the iPhone data package for a non-iPhone?
Any input would be awesome!
Thanks!

Jason

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Hey, I have a 3g iphone now, I read that i can cancel my current contract and open a new one and still use my old number with the 3gs, is this true?

I have At&t

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
The thing about canceling is that there us a three month waiting period till you can open a new one. I think that is how AT&T closed THAT loophole.

Last edited:

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
It might be hard to use the same number if it still activated while opening a second account. And there may be other unforeseen problems.

This is what gets me the most! There are people that will try and be clever to beat the system but when they get a roadblock they the first to cry foul and usually they're the loudest too! If you gonna try and beat the system. Be prepared to fully accept, without complaint, any pitfalls that come your way

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm new to AT&T and I have the following questions...

1) Does Mobile-to-Mobile mean free calls to other AT&T at anytime?

2) Do unused text messages rollover to the next month?

3) Which IM programs count messages as a text?

Zach Curren

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Early cancellation the best way to upgrade?

I don't claim to know everything, and unfortunately some things just aren't possible when it comes to getting our devices to do everything that we want them to do, but like ash said I will ATTEMPT to answer any questions you may have that are at&t specific. Also, I may not always respond immediately, but I will try to keep up with this thread as much as possible. Fire away!

Hi there, I want to upgrade to the 3Gs (my 3G has a broken case and ringer switch but otherwise works fine) and am not eligible for a full upgrade until 3/12/10 and an early upgrade until 12/12/09. Obviously I don't want to pay the $600-$700 to get the 3Gs. BUT my early termination fee is only $120. So.... I can pay $120 + $30 activation fee on a new line and get the 3Gs for only $350-$450... That doesn't make sense. Why doesn't ATT consider those of us for whom it is cheaper to just cancel and then start a new contract? I'd rather just pay the $350-$450 and keep my number? yes, I know that for $200 I could get my phone "repaired".... What to do?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Cause if you cancel and restart, a) you lose your current number and b) you have to wait 3 months before you can restart.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
Hey Alli. Don't you live in Paris? My son is there right now enjoying a vvation with his mother. I know- totally off topic. But it brings to mind another point. You know an awful lot bout AT&T.

Zach Curren

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, I want to upgrade to the 3Gs (my 3G has a broken case and ringer switch but otherwise works fine) and am not eligible for a full upgrade until 3/12/10 and an early upgrade until 12/12/09. Obviously I don't want to pay the $600-$700 to get the 3Gs. BUT my early termination fee is only $120. So.... I can pay $120 + $30 activation fee on a new line and get the 3Gs for only $350-$450... That doesn't make sense. Why doesn't ATT consider those of us for whom it is cheaper to just cancel and then start a new contract? I'd rather just pay the $350-$450 and keep my number? yes, I know that for $200 I could get my phone "repaired".... What to do?

OK, another thought! I just remembered that I paid the full $500 when I bought my 3G!!! NOT the subsidized price! So why can they not give me the lower price now since they are not "making up" the cost of the phone as if I had paid the $200 price? That makes no sense!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Hey Alli. Don't you live in Paris? My son is there right now enjoying a vvation with his mother. I know- totally off topic. But it brings to mind another point. You know an awful lot bout AT&T.

That is just a rumor started by a child on the forums who added two to two and came up with 147.

I actually live in LA - Lower Alabama. But I do teach French for a living. I hope your son and his mother have as much fun in Paris as I had there last summer with my daughter.

Bringing us back to ontopic, cause when we went last year, she had her iPhone with her and I had a Sprint phone which was useless to me except as an alarm clock!

leadbyxampl

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
OK, another thought! I just remembered that I paid the full $500 when I bought my 3G!!! NOT the subsidized price! So why can they not give me the lower price now since they are not "making up" the cost of the phone as if I had paid the $200 price? That makes no sense!

Maybe you could do the following:
1. Add a new line of service with 3Gs - $199-$299 - line 2
2. Port # out from line 1 to a prepaid phone - $120 ETF
3. Port # back in from prepaid to line 2 (now line 1)?

You loose rollover minutes, if applicable, but you save your number.

Not sure if this is how AT&T would handle this..

$0.02

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site

500 was a subsidized price, not the best subsidized price...but subsidized nonetheless. Full price for the 3G was 599 and 699.

trumpy

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Why do the AT&T stores get the iPhones fewer and so infrequently compared to Apple stores? I got AT&T gift cards for my b-day and can only use them to purchase iPhones that are in stock, and, of course, they are never in stock. One store told me it won't be for a month.