Ask a AT&T Rep!

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Yes I am wondering this as well. Obviously a little disappointing at WWDC to hear delay on MMS and turn by turn Nav by TOM TOM. Does this mean increases in our fees? I am paying 40 bucks more a month here then with Sprint because I love the iPhone so. I was excited about the 10 decrease rumor, but now it appears Apple/ATT will be charging for every new invention the iPhone gains, even those that have been around for a good part of a decade!:mad:

Answered the MMS part, but the tomtom part, will definitely cost. It's not AT&T or Apple, it will be tomtom charging.

DotCom2

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Does the contract follow phone or line?

Hello,
I will be using my hubby's eligible line to upgrade my iPhone 3G to the new 3GS. As I understand it, we can just swap sims through the help of an ATT rep to make sure everything is transferred correctly. But my question is regarding the contract tenures on each line. I have 1 year left on my 3G and of course the new 3GS will have a new 2 year contract. But who gets the new 2 year contract since we will swap phones? IOW, does the contract stay with the phone/device or does it follow the line/number?
I have heard that swaping phones/sims triggers that both lines would then have a new 2 year contract. I hope this isn't true because that would be grossly unfair.

rdlong47

Aug 4, 2008
Visit site
My wife will be getting the 3Gs in July when she becomes elgible for an update. I have a 3G. Does each iPhone have to have its own data plan? Next question: are there deals for family texting or does each phone have to have its own?

Thanks
Ron

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Each iPhone get's it's own data plan, Family texting unlimited plans from AT&T are 30 dollars and will work just fine with iPhones.

eratanun

Jun 11, 2009
Visit site
Seeing as how I'm already an AT&T customer, will I have to pay the $18 activation fee in addition to the upgrade fee? I always thought the activation fee was to activate new accounts, no?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Hello,
I will be using my hubby's eligible line to upgrade my iPhone 3G to the new 3GS. As I understand it, we can just swap sims through the help of an ATT rep to make sure everything is transferred correctly. But my question is regarding the contract tenures on each line. I have 1 year left on my 3G and of course the new 3GS will have a new 2 year contract. But who gets the new 2 year contract since we will swap phones? IOW, does the contract stay with the phone/device or does it follow the line/number?
I have heard that swaping phones/sims triggers that both lines would then have a new 2 year contract. I hope this isn't true because that would be grossly unfair.

You should be able to pop in your sim into the iPhone that comes and not have a contact renewal.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
My wife will be getting the 3Gs in July when she becomes elgible for an update. I have a 3G. Does each iPhone have to have its own data plan? Next question: are there deals for family texting or does each phone have to have its own?

Thanks
Ron

Each phone has to have their own $30 data plan. No shared options for smartphones.

Messaging, you're able to get that for both (or more than) lines. It's will be $30 for up to 5 lines.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Seeing as how I'm already an AT&T customer, will I have to pay the $18 activation fee in addition to the upgrade fee? I always thought the activation fee was to activate new accounts, no?

Exactly... activation fees are charged at activation. Upgrade fees at upgrades. Same cost, different name.

scoremann

Jun 12, 2009
Visit site
I have two lines on my AT&T account. I am upgrading my iPhone 2G for the 3Gs. I plan switch the 2G on the other line on the account. When the next generation iPhone come out will I be eligible for the subsidized price?

Thanks,

jayfunk

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I purchased an 8gig 3G on 05/31 as well as a standard Sony phone for my wife after being well out of contract on our original AT&T phones. Seeing as I'm still in my 30 day return window on both of the phones, what is my best method of switching to a 16gig 3GS and getting it on 06/19?

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
So no one knows how much the 3G is going for off contract?

So if the old iPhone 3G is going on sale for $99 how much are they going for if I don't sign a 2 year contract? I have an original 2G iPhone and want to upgrade without spending alot of $ but am figuring that next year is when they are going to have a major upgrade to the iPhone line so I would like to not sign another contract.

J.McRae718

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm sorry if this has been asked already but if i add a line to my account to get the 199 price, can I immediately then cancel it and pay the 175. How does that work. Is there a waiting period before I can cancel it or does it benefit me more to just pay the early upgrade fee 399 + 33 dollars in tax?

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
You must wait, if you cancel before 30 days AT&T requires the equipment be returned, after 30 days you keep the equipment and pay the ETF.

If you add a line...you save some tax but pay an extra 40 bucks for the phone over a 2 year contract. 10 (for the extra line) X24 = 240
399-199=200

shutter

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
So no one knows how much the 3G is going for off contract?

I think it's going for 499. You pay an extra 400 bucks for "no commitment". So you can pay an extra 400 up front and have no contract...or you can pay an extra 200 for an early upgrade next year, but be locked into a contract.

J.McRae718

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You must wait, if you cancel before 30 days AT&T requires the equipment be returned, after 30 days you keep the equipment and pay the ETF.

If you add a line...you save some tax but pay an extra 40 bucks for the phone over a 2 year contract. 10 (for the extra line) X24 = 240
399-199=200

wow so if I have to wait 30 days then that means I'm required to pay the first months bill, so that makes the option more expensive than if I just pay the 432 for the early upgrade. Thanks.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I have two lines on my AT&T account. I am upgrading my iPhone 2G for the 3Gs. I plan switch the 2G on the other line on the account. When the next generation iPhone come out will I be eligible for the subsidized price?

Thanks,

If you aren't eligible on the other line, it won't make you eligible for the $199/$299 if you put it on that line, unless it was a 3G purchased between July and Sept of 2008.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I purchased an 8gig 3G on 05/31 as well as a standard Sony phone for my wife after being well out of contract on our original AT&T phones. Seeing as I'm still in my 30 day return window on both of the phones, what is my best method of switching to a 16gig 3GS and getting it on 06/19?

Going to the store and waiting on line at 7am to switch it out.

siddfinch

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
I bought my 8GB 3G in the beginning of April, 2009 and signed a 2 year contract. I'm out of luck on discounted pricing for the 3G, correct?