Ask a AT&T Rep!

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi. I wanted to know if I purchase an Iphone from an outside source, ie ebay, is AT&T going to detect the Iphone and start charging me for the data plan? Or is optional because I did not buy it direct from them?

It doesn't matter where you purchased it or even if you bypass the iTunes activation. I received an email today that stated we are going to see an influx of calls due to iPhones w/o the correct data plan on and a lot of user's plan will be changed, so be aware.

crativeboy

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
I recently bought an iphone 3g from a friend who switched sim cards to use on his new palm treo instead. I asked him whether I should unlock the phone first before I use a att pre paid plan on it. He didn't know the answer. I have two questions:

1. Do I necessarily need to unlock the iphone first before I can put in a new att sim card for pre paid service?

2. Since my friend removed the sim card from the iphone and put it in his new phone could I just insert my new sim into the phone and start using it without accidently charging my friend's bill?

Is it technically safe to use an iphone which contract is not over and insert a new sim
and not have my friend get charged extra?

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought an iphone 3g from a friend who switched sim cards to use on his new palm treo instead. I asked him whether I should unlock the phone first before I use a att pre paid plan on it. He didn't know the answer. I have two questions:

1. Do I necessarily need to unlock the iphone first before I can put in a new att sim card for pre paid service?

2. Since my friend removed the sim card from the iphone and put it in his new phone could I just insert my new sim into the phone and start using it without accidently charging my friend's bill?

Is it technically safe to use an iphone which contract is not over and insert a new sim
and not have my friend get charged extra?

1- Prepaid is still at&t, no unlock needed.

2- It won't charge your friend, he's safe no matter what, but not sure how that would work with you... don't get comfortable, at&t has been changing those who are not on the correct plan. Since there isn't a prepaid plan for the 3g, you would definitely be a target.

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
When I bought my 3G last year I was required to pay a $500 security deposit. I have missed no payments and made no late payments. My next payment will be my 12th which should allow me to receive that deposit back. When, and in what form, should I expect to receive my refund?

If no balance is due, check.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I am thinking of transferring my old cell phone number, from a local cell phone company, to ATT. I have heard there are problems recieving texts and so forth from that company once I have switched. Someone said they have to, the local company, port that number to ATT. Can you explain and elaborate for me any other disadvantages from keeping my old number? I would highly appreciate it, because the ATT associates in my town are retarded lol. Thank you.

Answered in PM.

Posted for others to see.

Duvi said:
SOV said:
I am thinking of transferring my old cell phone number, from a local cell phone company, to ATT. I have heard there are problems recieving texts and so forth from that company once I have switched. Someone said they have to, the local company, port that number to ATT. Can you explain and elaborate for me any other disadvantages from keeping my old number? I would highly appreciate it, because the ATT associates in my town are retarded lol. Thank you.

IMO there are no disadvantages except an ETF is you are currently under contract with that carrier. Do not bother going to your current carrier for help as the truth more than likely will not come out. It's funny I actually recently got promoted to a department that handles ports and the most it ever took was 3 hours to complete, most go right away as long as the old service provider is quick with it.

All you need is all the account info from the old service provider:

Account name
Account number
Password (if any)
Wireless # (doh!)
Billing address for the OSP (old service provider)

and then to start the account:
Social Security #
Driver's License #
DOB
Credit Check

Last edited:

crativeboy

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
im sorry i didnt elaborate from my previous post,
i didnt mean prepaid plan i meant like a pay as you go type where there is no contract or obligations. So if I were to just insert my new sim into a locked phone it would be like the previous owner's record didnt exist?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Your account is your sim, not the phone. You could use any phone in the world, and the charges incurred are tied only to your sim card.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
so even if I go ahead with a pre paid account using pre paid att cards, random charges will come up?

It's not random, you're doing something that isn't authorized. So expect the same in return.

Are you able to call up and say you're on an iPhone, update your sim and put the iPhone data plan on it? If not, then it's not authorized.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
As in I will get a check in the mail? And approximately how long should I expect to wait for it?

Yes, a check in the mail.

Not sure, they will tell you that when they create a ticket/case for you. Some have actually told me that it was automatic.

Reactions: rknowlt

CorvZ061

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know if there will be a price jump when 3.0 comes out?

Will MMS cost extra with a family plan? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Insanoshano

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Hey so I won a First Gen Iphone in September 2007 and i activated it in October. I was wondering when i am eligible for an upgrade? I go to check on me and my brother's account online and when i click check upgrade options it says, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but we are unable to support this request online. For assistance with your upgrade please call 1-866-499-8008 and reference Error P1231." I have tried calling but have never been able to get through to anyone..I would really like to know when i am eligible for an upgrade since they might be releasing a new iPhone. THANKS!

IamGov#IM

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Disapointing WWDC leads to questions on pricing

Does anyone know if there will be a price jump when 3.0 comes out?

Will MMS cost extra with a family plan? Sorry if this has been asked already.

Yes I am wondering this as well. Obviously a little disappointing at WWDC to hear delay on MMS and turn by turn Nav by TOM TOM. Does this mean increases in our fees? I am paying 40 bucks more a month here then with Sprint because I love the iPhone so. I was excited about the 10 decrease rumor, but now it appears Apple/ATT will be charging for every new invention the iPhone gains, even those that have been around for a good part of a decade!:mad:

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
^Me too... will MMS be an extra feature or will AT&T use this as an excuse to raise the text plan prices or to keep prices the same?

Once you're in a contract, can you change it?
For example, I'm a pretty light texter, so I'd like to try out the $5 plan. But if it doesn't work out, can I upgrade to the $10 plan? Or am I stuck in the $5 plan?

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 2G back in March '08. I've checked on Apple's website and I qualify for the subsidized pricing for a new iPhone 3G S.

My question is, when I upgrade to the new iPhone, can I get a new SIM card with my same phone number on it and cancel service to my current SIM card? I want to continue to use my current iPhone as an iPod Touch, and I understand that in order to be able to restore it or update it (?) it needs to have the SIM card it was registered with. Does anyone know about this? Thanks!

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
I bought an iPhone 2G back in March '08. I've checked on Apple's website and I qualify for the subsidized pricing for a new iPhone 3G S.

My question is, when I upgrade to the new iPhone, can I get a new SIM card with my same phone number on it and cancel service to my current SIM card? I want to continue to use my current iPhone as an iPod Touch, and I understand that in order to be able to restore it or update it (?) it needs to have the SIM card it was registered with. Does anyone know about this? Thanks!

The new iPhone will have a new SIM card. However, if you are keeping your current number, that number will be carried over the the new device. At that point, the SIM in your old iPhone will be deactivated.

When I first bought the V1, Apple appeared to lock out iPhones which did not have SIMs activated on the network. What I found out when I upgraded to the 3G in July 2008 was that Apple was no longer bricking old iPhones. When you restore, you will still get the pop up on the home screen waiting for activation. Just tap it to dismiss, and you are on your way. No need to worry about unlocking the device while still active.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
So if the old iPhone 3G is going on sale for $99 how much are they going for if I don't sign a 2 year contract? I have an original 2G iPhone and want to upgrade without spending alot of $ but am figuring that next year is when they are going to have a major upgrade to the iPhone line so I would like to not sign another contract.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW