Ask a AT&T Rep!

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm new to AT&T and I have the following questions...

1) Does Mobile-to-Mobile mean free calls to other AT&T at anytime?

2) Do unused text messages rollover to the next month?

3) Which IM programs count messages as a text?

1) Yes. If you're on a normal plan you get free calling to any AT&T mobile customer, even goPhone. If you're on a Unity plan (meaning you have a bundle with home phone and wireless) you get free calling to AT&T mobile AND land lines.

2) Unfortunately, no

3) On any phone (except for iPhone) if you use the default IM program installed on your phone when you bought it, those will be included in your messaging plan. If you use a separate client or any web based services, you will be charged for data usage.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, I want to upgrade to the 3Gs (my 3G has a broken case and ringer switch but otherwise works fine) and am not eligible for a full upgrade until 3/12/10 and an early upgrade until 12/12/09. Obviously I don't want to pay the $600-$700 to get the 3Gs. BUT my early termination fee is only $120. So.... I can pay $120 + $30 activation fee on a new line and get the 3Gs for only $350-$450... That doesn't make sense. Why doesn't ATT consider those of us for whom it is cheaper to just cancel and then start a new contract? I'd rather just pay the $350-$450 and keep my number? yes, I know that for $200 I could get my phone "repaired".... What to do?

You must be out of service with AT&T for 6 months to be considered a new customer. Otherwise, your old account and contract will be resumed. For our market, the early upgrade date it 6 months after the start of your last contract.

Honestly, your best bet to save yourself some money is to wait till your official early upgrade date OR have it repaired for $200. Either way is the same price.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I finally upgraded from Iphone 2G to 3GS. My 2G was jailbroken so I figured it was "Unlocked". NEways, I dropped my daughters AT&T Sim in it and reverted to "connect to Itunes." I tried restoring it under ITunes 8.0 ver. Itunes then asked me to select Data Plan. I don't want to get data plan for my daughter just yet. I just want my daughter to be able to use the Iphone as a phone and without upgrading to a data plan. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

You need to perform the jailbreak + unlock again while your daughter's sim is in the tray. Try using the instructions on the hel & how-to section of this site.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Hello. I'm a forum noob so please be nice :)

I have a question about AT&T. I have two accounts with them, one is personal and the other is a work account. I have an iPhone 3G on my personal account, but it is not eligible for upgrade until winter time. TOO LONG!
I do have a handset on my work account that is eligible for upgrade. Is it possible to upgrade that phone to an iPhone 3GS and swap it so it has my personal number instead of my work number by switching the SIM cards? I would just be switching the card from my 3G iPhone to the new one, then replacing the work SIM card back into my old work phone, which needs to be a Windows Mobile phone for my job.
Is this possible? Am I going to be able to switch the phone plan so I'm not paying for the iPhone data package for a non-iPhone?
Any input would be awesome!
Thanks!

Jason

Once you upgrade, the equipment is yours to do with what you want. However, it's not as easy as switching SIMs. Once the upgrade is done, you need to call AT&T and give them the correct IMEI you will be using for your personal line. That will allow them to take off the iPhone data plan. Then, you'll need to give them the iPhone IMEI found on the box and your work number and they'll add the Data plan on there for you. If your work number is controlled by someone in yuor company, they will have to call and do it for you.

Reactions: SOV

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Simple one, eta mms?

I'll start this off by saying that I have NO idea when MMS will roll out for AT&T. They haven't told us anything, so the only thing I can comment on are possible reasons to why it's not already active. Bear in mind that these are just my ideas and not the official company position. I have two basic theories and we might not ever find out what the real reason is until it's active.

My first theory is based on the fact that AT&T is a backlogged beaurocratic company. You see, on every cellular line, there are feature codes determined how different services are handled and billed. There are codes on every line to handle EVERY service from voicemail access, to roaming access, call waiting, texts, mms and data. These codes can be in one of three modes: Opt Out (blocked), pay per use, or some sort of paid package that is advertised. On every iphone line, there are two codes for messaging. The first handles text messaging. Ordinary phones have a generic messaging package. iPhones have a special iPhone messaging package, even for pay per use. The other code handles MMS. Now, on individual text plans (plans not attached to a family messaging package meaning the $30 a month unlimited text) have an MMS code called Admin MMS Only, or MMS opt out (depending on iPhone model) that restricts incoming and outgoing MMS. My theory is that AT&T has not yet found a way to automatically go through each iPhone line, delete the block, and put an MMS code that corresponds to that messaging plan you've signed up for. This may mean that it has to be done manually. Which is no easy task for millions of iPhones. The other thing that has to happen is that an official carrier file has to be submitted to Apple and AT&T for approval and testing to enable the MMS functionality within the phone. We already have a leaked carrier file that you can install yourself but it was intended for beta testing. The interesting thing here is that lines on a family talk account do not have that MMS code restriction, the only code attached for messaging is a code called Family Messaging AAL (add a line) which is a generic messaging code that does not restrict MMS access so if you are on a family messaging plan and you have that leaked carrier file, you can do it right now! But please don't call into customer service and ask them to life the MMS restriction on your line. We're being told that they are terminating Store reps and reprimanding Phone reps for removing this block.

My second theory is based on the weaknesses of the 3G network at&t has deployed. I will preface this by saying that in my area I have no coverage or connection problems related to 3G. I feel like most of the complaints you'll here are from people in fringe coverage areas and major cities. I think that AT&T is waiting till the flip the switch on UMTS on the 850 MHz frequency till they complete testing in major cities. If you know a little bit about how waves travel, you can achieve larger coverage on lower frequencies at the expense of fewer users and slower theoretical top speeds. This is why AT&T decided to roll out most of its 3G network on the 1900 MHz band. When they finally turn the 850 UMTS band, they will be able to accommodate more users and expand coverage. You gotta figure that the sudden addition of thousands of picture messages each 600kb in size sent each hour could put a bit of a hurt onto AT&T's network.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but if I hear anything I will definitely notify Rene or Dieter and they'll post it to the site.

My unofficial guess for MMS: September 2009.

Keep em coming guys!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I have a question.

I'm currently on TMobile with about 23 days and 3 hrs left on my contract. I've had the iPhone itch for about 3 months now, and while another 3 weeks is not too much more to wait, I've been VERY tempted to go and get my iPhone now and just have ATT port the number when my contract expires.

That's the easy part. Now for the "hard" part. I don't want to miss calls, and a LOT of people have my number as I've had it for a good 7 years or so. Having to track down everyone with my number and tell them to call this new number for the next 22 days is....less than ideal. So, I thought I could turn on unconditional call forwarding on my TMobile account to forward calls to my new ATT number so that people wouldn't know the difference if they were calling me. My only concern though is the minutes. I spend the bulk of my minutes talking to my girlfriend, who is on ATT so free mobile to mobile lets me get the 450 min plan. Now, for the question. If my girfriend ( on ATT ) were to call my TMobile line, that was fowarded to my ATT line, would it fall into the mobile to mobile bucket or general minute usage?

It's a complex situation, I know >_< Thanks in advance!

J.McRae718

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ok I have an iPhone 3GS w/ the least expensive individual plan and the 5 dollar text messaging. Because I work for best buy I get a small discount, so my bill is about 70 w/ taxes. However I have a t-mobile line that I find far better for calls in NY. My t-mobile is about to expire, while I have just recently re-upped w/ AT&T to get my 3GS. Now I would not mind canceling my AT&T account and consolidating bills to just T-Mobile. However AT&T's data is by far better and faster than T-Mobile's. So I was wondering is there anyway to get rid of the voice option on my AT&T plan. More extreme I was even willing to claim my Iphone as stolen and reduce the plan, but would AT&T just leave me with a data plan. What if I put my tmobile sim in my 3GS (when we are finally able to unlock it). Can I use my t-mobile phone (Unlocked Blackberry Storm) on At&t and ask them potentially just leave me with a data plan. I really dont want to lose either number, but i HATE aT&T voice service.

any suggestions?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
big9erfan - you have 10 days to port a number. You're going to be paying that last month to t-Mo any way you look at it. If you go get an iPhone now, you aren't going to save a cent by forwarding cause you'll still be paying two bills. You may as well do it and get it over with.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
big9erfan - you have 10 days to port a number. You're going to be paying that last month to t-Mo any way you look at it. If you go get an iPhone now, you aren't going to save a cent by forwarding cause you'll still be paying two bills. You may as well do it and get it over with.

10 days? Humm, I thought I had read that they would port a number for free for the first 30 days.

Thanks Alli, I need to look into this a bit more.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
You know you want to. You know you're gonna spend the same amount of $$ if you do it now or in 24 days. ;)

I know, and that's how I've rationalized it to this point. It comes down to the convenience of my number port now more than anything else I think. I'm usually the one to initiate calls to my girlfriend so I don't think that the call forwarding would be an issue and worst case I don't answer and call them right back.

Ugh, I'm just convincing myself more and more...maybe I have to stop by the Apple store on the way home from work. I know I should have the self control to wait now that I'm in my 30s, but ....I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas day LOL

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Oh trust me, self control does not come with age. I'm 50, and I wound up racing out to get the 3GS after less than 2 months with the 3G!

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I have a question.

I'm currently on TMobile with about 23 days and 3 hrs left on my contract. I've had the iPhone itch for about 3 months now, and while another 3 weeks is not too much more to wait, I've been VERY tempted to go and get my iPhone now and just have ATT port the number when my contract expires.

That's the easy part. Now for the "hard" part. I don't want to miss calls, and a LOT of people have my number as I've had it for a good 7 years or so. Having to track down everyone with my number and tell them to call this new number for the next 22 days is....less than ideal. So, I thought I could turn on unconditional call forwarding on my TMobile account to forward calls to my new ATT number so that people wouldn't know the difference if they were calling me. My only concern though is the minutes. I spend the bulk of my minutes talking to my girlfriend, who is on ATT so free mobile to mobile lets me get the 450 min plan. Now, for the question. If my girfriend ( on ATT ) were to call my TMobile line, that was fowarded to my ATT line, would it fall into the mobile to mobile bucket or general minute usage?

It's a complex situation, I know >_< Thanks in advance!

In theory, calls forwarded through the phone are never connected to that phone. Therefore the calls from your girlfriends phone through the t-mobile phone then to the iphone are never connected to your t-mobile line and should count as mobile to mobile. However, I've heard horror stories about this not being the case on carriers like Sprint or Verizon. Your mileage may vary. I would be on the safe side and just assume that they won't be counted as mobile to mobile and just plan for that. Another hassle is that if you call out, your AT&T number will show up in caller ID so I would imagine this to be pretty annoying. I would recommend either waiting till the contract expires on t-mo OR carry both phones at the same time.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Ok I have an iPhone 3GS w/ the least expensive individual plan and the 5 dollar text messaging. Because I work for best buy I get a small discount, so my bill is about 70 w/ taxes. However I have a t-mobile line that I find far better for calls in NY. My t-mobile is about to expire, while I have just recently re-upped w/ AT&T to get my 3GS. Now I would not mind canceling my AT&T account and consolidating bills to just T-Mobile. However AT&T's data is by far better and faster than T-Mobile's. So I was wondering is there anyway to get rid of the voice option on my AT&T plan. More extreme I was even willing to claim my Iphone as stolen and reduce the plan, but would AT&T just leave me with a data plan. What if I put my tmobile sim in my 3GS (when we are finally able to unlock it). Can I use my t-mobile phone (Unlocked Blackberry Storm) on At&t and ask them potentially just leave me with a data plan. I really dont want to lose either number, but i HATE aT&T voice service.

any suggestions?

Unfortunately there is only one way to have data service only on the iPhone and it probably won't apply to you. THe iphone can be set up on a special $40 a month Text + Data only plan if you are deaf or hard of hearing, which requires a special form to be signed by a doctor.

As for using the unlocked Storm, it's absolutely possible. Data service on a non Laptop Connect device without voice is $35 a month. You could then use the iPhone on T-Mo after you unlock it.

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
In theory, calls forwarded through the phone are never connected to that phone. Therefore the calls from your girlfriends phone through the t-mobile phone then to the iphone are never connected to your t-mobile line and should count as mobile to mobile. However, I've heard horror stories about this not being the case on carriers like Sprint or Verizon. Your mileage may vary. I would be on the safe side and just assume that they won't be counted as mobile to mobile and just plan for that. Another hassle is that if you call out, your AT&T number will show up in caller ID so I would imagine this to be pretty annoying. I would recommend either waiting till the contract expires on t-mo OR carry both phones at the same time.

Thanks for the info, I figured it might now be considered mobile to mobile, only bc it might get routed through the tmo network. I'm house sitting this weekend for my sister and it turns out that in some rooms I get absolutely zero coverage and others I'm lucky to have 1 bar, so my girlfriend now agrees that I need to get on ATT this weekend, she just decided she won't call me and wait for me to call her....par for the course I guess.

Thanks again for the info :)

jglowe74

Jun 9, 2009
joshlowe.posterous.com
I know, and that's how I've rationalized it to this point. It comes down to the convenience of my number port now more than anything else I think. I'm usually the one to initiate calls to my girlfriend so I don't think that the call forwarding would be an issue and worst case I don't answer and call them right back.

Ugh, I'm just convincing myself more and more...maybe I have to stop by the Apple store on the way home from work. I know I should have the self control to wait now that I'm in my 30s, but ....I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas day LOL

this is sooooo true!! i'm almost 35 <sigh> and i'm jones'n to get my 3GS! do i wait another 21 days or just get it now? i REALLY don't want to have a new phone number, but really want that 3GS! i've got my June Verizon bill now, will have 1 more for July yet to come. the thought of paying 2 bills is what's keeping me sitting on my hands for now. can't believe how 'Oooh Shiny!' i still am. ROFL

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info, I figured it might now be considered mobile to mobile, only bc it might get routed through the tmo network. I'm house sitting this weekend for my sister and it turns out that in some rooms I get absolutely zero coverage and others I'm lucky to have 1 bar, so my girlfriend now agrees that I need to get on ATT this weekend, she just decided she won't call me and wait for me to call her....par for the course I guess.

Thanks again for the info :)

I just confirmed this through customer service. On ANY carrier, forwarded calls are only billed to the final recieving phone. In other words, if you forward a call from an AT&T number from your t-mo number and then to your iphone, you will be billed as mobile to mobile.

ericUT

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
this is sooooo true!! i'm almost 35 <sigh> and i'm jones'n to get my 3GS! do i wait another 21 days or just get it now? i REALLY don't want to have a new phone number, but really want that 3GS! i've got my June Verizon bill now, will have 1 more for July yet to come. the thought of paying 2 bills is what's keeping me sitting on my hands for now. can't believe how 'Oooh Shiny!' i still am. ROFL

It's tough. When you activate your iPhone there is a way to post date the porting process but it doens't work all the time the way it's supposed to. It's better just to wait.