So no one knows how much the 3G is going for off contract?
    I think it's going for 499. You pay an extra 400 bucks for "no commitment". So you can pay an extra 400 up front and have no contract...or you can pay an extra 200 for an early upgrade next year, but be locked into a contract.
    06-16-2009 10:27 PM
    You must wait, if you cancel before 30 days AT&T requires the equipment be returned, after 30 days you keep the equipment and pay the ETF.

If you add a line...you save some tax but pay an extra 40 bucks for the phone over a 2 year contract. 10 (for the extra line) X24 = 240
    399-199=200
    wow so if I have to wait 30 days then that means I'm required to pay the first months bill, so that makes the option more expensive than if I just pay the 432 for the early upgrade. Thanks.
    06-16-2009 11:03 PM
    I have two lines on my AT&T account. I am upgrading my iPhone 2G for the 3Gs. I plan switch the 2G on the other line on the account. When the next generation iPhone come out will I be eligible for the subsidized price?

Thanks,
    If you aren't eligible on the other line, it won't make you eligible for the $199/$299 if you put it on that line, unless it was a 3G purchased between July and Sept of 2008.
    06-17-2009 09:56 PM
    I've got a bit of a dilemma. I purchased an 8gig 3G on 05/31 as well as a standard Sony phone for my wife after being well out of contract on our original AT&T phones. Seeing as I'm still in my 30 day return window on both of the phones, what is my best method of switching to a 16gig 3GS and getting it on 06/19?
    Going to the store and waiting on line at 7am to switch it out.
    06-17-2009 09:57 PM
    I bought my 8GB 3G in the beginning of April, 2009 and signed a 2 year contract. I'm out of luck on discounted pricing for the 3G[s], correct?
    06-18-2009 11:24 AM
    Just make sure your store doesn't decide to leave you waiting outside until 9:00am because you didn't pre-order like the one near me is going to. I'm only glad I called and found out that the salesperson I spoke with was a completely uninformed *****.

I hate salespeople who don't care enough to make sure their customers have the right information... and would rather get roasted than to confirm information they're uncertain of. Oh well--happy to oblige.
    06-18-2009 01:10 PM
    Hello, I finally upgraded from Iphone 2G to 3GS. My 2G was jailbroken so I figured it was "Unlocked". NEways, I dropped my daughters AT&T Sim in it and reverted to "connect to Itunes." I tried restoring it under ITunes 8.0 ver. Itunes then asked me to select Data Plan. I don't want to get data plan for my daughter just yet. I just want my daughter to be able to use the Iphone as a phone and without upgrading to a data plan. What should I do? Thanks in advance.
    06-21-2009 11:20 AM
    Hello. I'm a forum noob so please be nice

I have a question about AT&T. I have two accounts with them, one is personal and the other is a work account. I have an iPhone 3G on my personal account, but it is not eligible for upgrade until winter time. TOO LONG!
    I do have a handset on my work account that is eligible for upgrade. Is it possible to upgrade that phone to an iPhone 3GS and swap it so it has my personal number instead of my work number by switching the SIM cards? I would just be switching the card from my 3G iPhone to the new one, then replacing the work SIM card back into my old work phone, which needs to be a Windows Mobile phone for my job.
    Is this possible? Am I going to be able to switch the phone plan so I'm not paying for the iPhone data package for a non-iPhone?
    Any input would be awesome!
    Thanks!

Jason
    06-21-2009 06:01 PM
    Hey, I have a 3g iphone now, I read that i can cancel my current contract and open a new one and still use my old number with the 3gs, is this true?

I have At&t
    06-21-2009 11:31 PM
    The thing about canceling is that there us a three month waiting period till you can open a new one. I think that is how AT&T closed THAT loophole.
    Last edited by chobbs1; 06-22-2009 at 06:57 AM.
    06-22-2009 01:02 AM
    Ok what about adding a new phone then closing the old one
    06-22-2009 08:57 AM
    It might be hard to use the same number if it still activated while opening a second account. And there may be other unforeseen problems.

This is what gets me the most! There are people that will try and be clever to beat the system but when they get a roadblock they the first to cry foul and usually they're the loudest too! If you gonna try and beat the system. Be prepared to fully accept, without complaint, any pitfalls that come your way
    06-22-2009 05:12 PM
    thanks for your help
    06-22-2009 06:06 PM
    Keep in mind I am not the AT&T rep on this thread so. These are just my observations and opinions.
    06-22-2009 06:12 PM
    Thanks Duvi, your info helped me get my phone with the quickness.

Cheers,
    Jay
    06-22-2009 07:21 PM
    I'm new to AT&T and I have the following questions...

1) Does Mobile-to-Mobile mean free calls to other AT&T at anytime?

2) Do unused text messages rollover to the next month?

3) Which IM programs count messages as a text?
    06-22-2009 09:19 PM
    I don't claim to know everything, and unfortunately some things just aren't possible when it comes to getting our devices to do everything that we want them to do, but like ash said I will ATTEMPT to answer any questions you may have that are at&t specific. Also, I may not always respond immediately, but I will try to keep up with this thread as much as possible. Fire away!
    Hi there, I want to upgrade to the 3Gs (my 3G has a broken case and ringer switch but otherwise works fine) and am not eligible for a full upgrade until 3/12/10 and an early upgrade until 12/12/09. Obviously I don't want to pay the $600-$700 to get the 3Gs. BUT my early termination fee is only $120. So.... I can pay $120 + $30 activation fee on a new line and get the 3Gs for only $350-$450... That doesn't make sense. Why doesn't ATT consider those of us for whom it is cheaper to just cancel and then start a new contract? I'd rather just pay the $350-$450 and keep my number? yes, I know that for $200 I could get my phone "repaired".... What to do?
    06-22-2009 10:28 PM
    Cause if you cancel and restart, a) you lose your current number and b) you have to wait 3 months before you can restart.
    06-23-2009 12:17 AM
    Hey Alli. Don't you live in Paris? My son is there right now enjoying a vvation with his mother. I know- totally off topic. But it brings to mind another point. You know an awful lot bout AT&T.
    06-23-2009 12:49 AM
    Hi there, I want to upgrade to the 3Gs (my 3G has a broken case and ringer switch but otherwise works fine) and am not eligible for a full upgrade until 3/12/10 and an early upgrade until 12/12/09. Obviously I don't want to pay the $600-$700 to get the 3Gs. BUT my early termination fee is only $120. So.... I can pay $120 + $30 activation fee on a new line and get the 3Gs for only $350-$450... That doesn't make sense. Why doesn't ATT consider those of us for whom it is cheaper to just cancel and then start a new contract? I'd rather just pay the $350-$450 and keep my number? yes, I know that for $200 I could get my phone "repaired".... What to do?
    OK, another thought! I just remembered that I paid the full $500 when I bought my 3G!!! NOT the subsidized price! So why can they not give me the lower price now since they are not "making up" the cost of the phone as if I had paid the $200 price? That makes no sense!
    06-23-2009 01:28 AM
    Hey Alli. Don't you live in Paris? My son is there right now enjoying a vvation with his mother. I know- totally off topic. But it brings to mind another point. You know an awful lot bout AT&T.
    That is just a rumor started by a child on the forums who added two to two and came up with 147.

I actually live in LA - Lower Alabama. But I do teach French for a living. I hope your son and his mother have as much fun in Paris as I had there last summer with my daughter.

Bringing us back to ontopic, cause when we went last year, she had her iPhone with her and I had a Sprint phone which was useless to me except as an alarm clock!
    06-23-2009 11:26 AM
    When I went to Mexico. I also had great coverage.
    06-23-2009 06:52 PM
    OK, another thought! I just remembered that I paid the full $500 when I bought my 3G!!! NOT the subsidized price! So why can they not give me the lower price now since they are not "making up" the cost of the phone as if I had paid the $200 price? That makes no sense!
    Maybe you could do the following:
    1. Add a new line of service with 3Gs - $199-$299 - line 2
    2. Port # out from line 1 to a prepaid phone - $120 ETF
    3. Port # back in from prepaid to line 2 (now line 1)?

You loose rollover minutes, if applicable, but you save your number.

Not sure if this is how AT&T would handle this..

$0.02
    06-29-2009 04:00 PM
    500 was a subsidized price, not the best subsidized price...but subsidized nonetheless. Full price for the 3G was 599 and 699.
    06-29-2009 09:03 PM
    Why do the AT&T stores get the iPhones fewer and so infrequently compared to Apple stores? I got AT&T gift cards for my b-day and can only use them to purchase iPhones that are in stock, and, of course, they are never in stock. One store told me it won't be for a month.
    06-30-2009 10:47 PM
318 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD