PostalUT, Thanx for takeing the time to share your Xpertiece and time. This may have been asked only I haven't been able to find it. Is there any way to get the new A T & T Carrier Files when they are released besides upgrading on iTunes ?
    10-21-2009 07:58 PM
    I signed up through the ATT premier website. The company I'm working at offers a discount so it helped make the jump from T-mo much more palatable. I'm a little confused about the setup. They asked me to verify at the business enrollment website (did that) and also sign up at the regular wireless.att site. It's my understanding that the two don't really intersect...? Do I pay my bills on the regular site or the premier? Come to think of it, I don't think I have any kind of logon for the premier. Do they email the work address a lot because I'd like to just change it over to my personal... sorry for the multitude of questions just trying to get the hang of a new carrier. Thanks for any help.
    10-22-2009 08:48 AM
    PostalUT, Thanx for takeing the time to share your Xpertiece and time. This may have been asked only I haven't been able to find it. Is there any way to get the new A T & T Carrier Files when they are released besides upgrading on iTunes ?
    As far I've seen, they are only available officially through iTunes. If you do some googling you can probably find others but I can't point you to specific sites because that would be a violation of both AT&T and Apple EULA's. Can I ask a bit more specifically about what you would need these other carrier files for?
    10-25-2009 11:24 PM
    I signed up through the ATT premier website. The company I'm working at offers a discount so it helped make the jump from T-mo much more palatable. I'm a little confused about the setup. They asked me to verify at the business enrollment website (did that) and also sign up at the regular wireless.att site. It's my understanding that the two don't really intersect...? Do I pay my bills on the regular site or the premier? Come to think of it, I don't think I have any kind of logon for the premier. Do they email the work address a lot because I'd like to just change it over to my personal... sorry for the multitude of questions just trying to get the hang of a new carrier. Thanks for any help.
    You're premier status is attached to your consumer account by way of a FAN IRU number (you can find this out if you need it but it should be already attached to your account. It should show as a discount on your regular bill). The premier site merely functions as a portal to purchase new devices and, in some cases, discounted accessories depending on your company's agreement with AT&T. To pay your bill or manage your account, you will just use the normal consumer portal. I wouldn't worry too much about the premier portal as the "discounted" devices that are offered are offered at a discount of up to 50% off the non-contract prices of these phones. If you choose to go this route, you still have to sign a two-year contract (in most cases). Usually you get a much better deal by just purchasing through a consumer outlet (web, phone, or store). And don't worry about being a premier customer, as long as you are the one with financial responsibility on the account, you can still be served in all of the usual customer facing outlets with a few differences. When you call in to 611 or go to the web site, it will be classified as business customer care. There will be no difference in-store.
    10-25-2009 11:30 PM
    Question - if you're on a contract with an iphone data plan but you decide to stop using your iphone (or say it gets stolen), can you call up AT&T and ask them to drop you from the data plan?
    10-26-2009 02:03 PM
    My iPhone is JB and I don't need to update the entire OS when Apple drops a new update. E.I. 3.0 to 3.1 they are NOT that Xtremely changed. I have everything in my JB 3.0 SMS and a few other toys NOT available with Official Apple iPhone (UN-JB).
    Mailnly with the A T & T Carrier files, I was wanting to keep the "Phone" & Data files current. I have found a few sites the had 5.6 posted, but I woudl much rather DN from an "Official" Site... Less chances of infection... Thanx
    10-26-2009 04:39 PM
    Question - if you're on a contract with an iphone data plan but you decide to stop using your iphone (or say it gets stolen), can you call up AT&T and ask them to drop you from the data plan?

Yes. But AT&T will ask for the IMEI of your replacement device so make sure you have one as a backup (I keep my old blackberry and samsung slider just in case)
    10-26-2009 06:17 PM
    My iPhone is JB and I don't need to update the entire OS when Apple drops a new update. E.I. 3.0 to 3.1 they are NOT that Xtremely changed. I have everything in my JB 3.0 SMS and a few other toys NOT available with Official Apple iPhone (UN-JB).
    Mailnly with the A T & T Carrier files, I was wanting to keep the "Phone" & Data files current. I have found a few sites the had 5.6 posted, but I woudl much rather DN from an "Official" Site... Less chances of infection... Thanx
    Unfortunately iTunes is the only official outlet that i know of for carrier files. It's just something you have to give up when JB.
    10-26-2009 06:19 PM
    now i know where to go if i have problems
    10-26-2009 06:27 PM
    now i know where to go if i have problems
    Lol. We try our best. Just make sure that your questions don't require me to give any information that could violate Apple's EULA or AT&T's TOS. If in doubt ask away and we can make that determination.
    10-27-2009 08:24 AM
    postalUT, Thank You for all you give. I understand walking the fence. You truely are an ANGEL...
    10-27-2009 07:21 PM
    Two questions

1) Does AT&T still charge a fee for not activating your iPhone within 30 days?

2) I just got a new iPhone from an early upgrade but am at the end of my billing cycle for the month. If I activate now will I have to pay the +$30 data plan for the entire month?
    10-30-2009 10:26 AM
    Two questions

1) Does AT&T still charge a fee for not activating your iPhone within 30 days?

2) I just got a new iPhone from an early upgrade but am at the end of my billing cycle for the month. If I activate now will I have to pay the +$30 data plan for the entire month?
    1) I'm not sure what you mean by this. Did you mean you signed the contract got the phone but haven't connected to iTunes yet? If you elaborate a bit more I can give you a better answer.

2) You will only be charged a prorated portion of the data plan. It's calculated as follows: (Number of days that you used it)/(30 days) x $30. Your first bill may also show the iPhone data plan paid through to the next month because AT&T's billing system bills in advance (with the exception of usage charges)
    10-30-2009 01:10 PM
    I had heard that AT&T was charging people who weren't activating their iPhone within the first 30 days the difference of the subsidy in order to discourage people just buying it and then unlocking/selling.
    10-30-2009 03:07 PM
    I want to get an iPhone next month (as my contract with my current carrier expires soon). But I'm confused as to the billing.

1) What will my first month's bill be? I have the cheapest possible everything on the plan, and the $5 (200 messages) text plan.

2) How does the billing statement cycle? If I get it on a certain day of the month, will the billing statement by due that day the next month?

3) I read on the forums that the billing is paid in advance--does that mean I have to pay for two months at a time?!
    10-30-2009 06:12 PM
    1:I have the $60 minute plan + 30 for unlimited data for the iphone...& my friend has this same plan & he complain that the data plan is not really unlimited since he end up paying a extra $100 for data...I think he is lying but if he isn't than at&t need to rephrase "unlimited"
    2:
    y is the ordering so long with at&t...I ordered service with you guys thursday over the telephone...than I had to wait 24 to 48(thankfully it was less than 24 hour more like 23) hours for a email from apple & than respond to it before they send off the phone?also will I get another confirmation email from apple telling me when they will send?
    also y I can't follow my order on at&t site eventho I have a 14 digit confirmation #...

I hear nothing but complaints bout at&t towers...but I believe you guys have the 2nd most customers (I thought those titles belonged to verizon & sprint)...so the question is why can't the towers go up quicker?

excuse the typo's I'm typing on my palm pre which I hate
    10-31-2009 05:49 AM
    I had heard that AT&T was charging people who weren't activating their iPhone within the first 30 days the difference of the subsidy in order to discourage people just buying it and then unlocking/selling.
    It's possible. I haven't heard anything official about this. I do know that if you cancel service within 30 days and don't return the phone they will bill you for the subsidy
    10-31-2009 02:31 PM
    I want to get an iPhone next month (as my contract with my current carrier expires soon). But I'm confused as to the billing.

1) What will my first month's bill be? I have the cheapest possible everything on the plan, and the $5 (200 messages) text plan.

2) How does the billing statement cycle? If I get it on a certain day of the month, will the billing statement by due that day the next month?

3) I read on the forums that the billing is paid in advance--does that mean I have to pay for two months at a time?!
    1) the cheapest will be $39.99 for 450 minutes $5 for text and $30 for data so your looking at around $65 before taxes and depending on where you live you will have taxes. In TN it's around $80

2) It depends on your signup day. They determine the start of the billing cycle when you sign up for the plan and usually it will be within 1-5 days of the signup date each month. The billing cutoff date will be the same each month

3) Your first bill will include prorated portions of the first few days you signup before the first full billing cycle starts plus a full bill plus activation fees. When you sign up they will give you an estimate of the first month's bill on your CSS that will be given to you. Subsequent bills will be cheaper
    10-31-2009 02:35 PM
    1:I have the $60 minute plan + 30 for unlimited data for the iphone...& my friend has this same plan & he complain that the data plan is not really unlimited since he end up paying a extra $100 for data...I think he is lying but if he isn't than at&t need to rephrase "unlimited"
    2:
    y is the ordering so long with at&t...I ordered service with you guys thursday over the telephone...than I had to wait 24 to 48(thankfully it was less than 24 hour more like 23) hours for a email from apple & than respond to it before they send off the phone?also will I get another confirmation email from apple telling me when they will send?
    also y I can't follow my order on at&t site eventho I have a 14 digit confirmation #...

I hear nothing but complaints bout at&t towers...but I believe you guys have the 2nd most customers (I thought those titles belonged to verizon & sprint)...so the question is why can't the towers go up quicker?

excuse the typo's I'm typing on my palm pre which I hate
    I apologize but I can't officially speak on most of these questions since I do not represent the departments involved or AT&T as a company. What I would say is that it would have been much easier to sign up in a physical store. Not only do you get all your questions answered and not have to wait for the iPhone to ship, you also give some hard-working individual some commission to help support their family.
    10-31-2009 02:38 PM
    also if ur phone is lost/stolen does that mean whomever found/stole it can't get it turned on correct.I heard that is the case with sprint & verizon
    10-31-2009 05:32 PM
    also if ur phone is lost/stolen does that mean whomever found/stole it can't get it turned on correct.I heard that is the case with sprint & verizon
    That's possible on Sprint and Verizon because they are CDMA networks. CDMA phones operate because the device identification information is stored in the phone itself, therefore if it's reported stolen, VZW or Sprint can look it up and refuse to activate it.

AT&T and the iPhone operate on GSM. The user identification is stored in the removable SIM card. If you report the phone stolen, they can refuse connections from the SIM card however, once the SIM card is removed the iPhone is able to accept another AT&T SIM card and function fully.

If you're concerned, I would recommend a two prong approach (note that this is my PERSONAL set up, not an official solution from AT&T). The first is to sign up for MobileMe. This will allow you to track the phone and try to recover if stolen. It will also allow you to remote wipe all the information on the device so your information stays secure. I also contacted my homeowner's insurance agent and asked to have a rider put onto my homeowner's policy that covers all four of my iPhones. This is on an agent by agent basis so call them up. One might refuse to do it, where another won't have a problem with it. I don't pay a deductible and the replacement cost was set at the full retail price when new.
    10-31-2009 06:08 PM
    not entirely true. GSM phones have an identification just like the CMDA phones it's called the IMEI # and i find it interesting that though ATT uses it to check if you have an iPhone on their network to charge you the data plan, they don't use it to block phones reported stolen. Which they could implement if they wanted to.

Though it exists in Europe there is no IMEI Blacklist in teh US...can't quite figure out why though.
    11-01-2009 01:05 AM
    not entirely true. GSM phones have an identification just like the CMDA phones it's called the IMEI # and i find it interesting that though ATT uses it to check if you have an iPhone on their network to charge you the data plan, they don't use it to block phones reported stolen. Which they could implement if they wanted to.

Though it exists in Europe there is no IMEI Blacklist in teh US...can't quite figure out why though.
    I imagine it's because customer's would be extra mad if iPhone IMEI's were blacklisted after they are found again. I'm not sure if a device is able to be un-blacklisted on CDMA carriers.
    11-01-2009 09:33 PM
    It's possible. I haven't heard anything official about this. I do know that if you cancel service within 30 days and don't return the phone they will bill you for the subsidy
    Could you look into it to see what the official policy is (whether there is a subsidy fee for non-activation after 30 days)? Would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
    11-02-2009 09:00 AM
    Can you tell me what the process is if you order an Iphone over the phone? What are the steps? How long does it take? I am also porting a number. Thanks.
    11-09-2009 09:17 PM
318 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD