When I was condering getting a 3G phone, back before I was thinking about the iPhone, I was looking at a bunch of 3G phones (not PDA/smartphones, however). One thing they all touted was access to the AT&T cellular video features (if you had a dataplan) so you could watch ESPN clips, for example.

Many of the smartphones also offered this service. However, the iPhone does not. Anyone know why? Is there any way to get this information? After all, I have the dataplan, I have a 3G phone - should I be able to access the same data that is provided to other 3G phones with data plans by AT&T?

Chris
    11-20-2008 11:07 AM
    No idea why they do not include this. They keep the iPhone separate from all other PDA/BB plans. And if you look at it from the other side, that is not such a bad thing honestly. Keeps all that AT&T bloatware off our phones. I'm not complaining.
    11-20-2008 12:50 PM
    True, it is nice to prevent the AT&T software, but since we are paying the same thing (if not more) than other data plans that do get this, it seems to me that we should be able to get that feature.
    11-20-2008 01:12 PM
    Well I guess we a paying a bit more just to have the better device...
    11-20-2008 01:27 PM
    I can tell you from experience, you are not missing much with CV. 99 out of 100 people would trade cv access for the iphone's youtube capability in a heartbeat.
    02-08-2009 04:52 PM
    It's probably easy to figure out why, Apple didn't want it on the iPhone. Apple provides pretty much all content for the iPhone, AT&T just provides the cellular network. Apple even got them to create a whole new voicemail system just for the iPhone.

All the other phones that have these things let AT&T install their custom software on the phones. Same as all the other phones that have the AT&T navigator software, which they charge for monthly. That isn't on the iPhone either.
    02-09-2009 09:50 AM
    At&t Navigator.....that would be nice. One of the few pieces of at&t software that I stand behind.
    02-09-2009 05:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD