This has got to be one of the best forums going. . .

Okay, here's my NDQ (Next Dumb Question):

My wife and I both have 3G's, which we love. We have WiFi at the house, which works great.

We're thinking of getting the kids iPod Touch's for Xmas and transferring the games and whatnot over to the new devices.

Recently we've begun to consider getting them 3G's without the data plan (and paying the $10/month for the additional line. SO:

1. Would the 3G's still be able to access the internet, etc. over our WiFi if it didn't have a data plan?

2. Is it REALLY only an extra $10 a month or was that heavily accented AT&T rep just blowing smoke?
    09-27-2008 10:16 AM
    From what I understand the data plan is not optional. They can't disable your 3g and prevent you from using it.

If it is optional I can only imagine what at&t would charge if you used your 3g feature.
    09-27-2008 10:49 PM
    Sorry I didn't answer your second question. The salesman is blowing smoke. It would be $10 a month for each additional line but an extra $30 a month for each data plan per iPhone. So about $40 would be more accurate. But of course that is If they require you to buy the data plan with the iPhone.
    Last edited by MPKU; 09-27-2008 at 10:56 PM.
    09-27-2008 10:54 PM
    Each iPhone requires a data plan. I don't see the point of using iPhone without using the browser and other web applications. However, you can take advantage of the unlimited text message plan which only costs $30 for the entire family even if you have 5 lines.
    09-28-2008 12:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD