1st Gen Data Plan

kirkrr

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
AT&T has what appears to me, to be a new policy (wish I had kept a copy of the old one). ALL iPhones (including 1st generation) apparently now REQUIRE a data plan. AND....If AT&T determines that you have an iPhone on a # without a data plan, they will automatically charge you for that plan.

I recently bought a 1st gen iPhone for my son, who has ubiquitous WiFi all around campus at school, so he has no need of a data plan. 3 of the 5 customer service reps I talked with, refused to shut the data plan off. One would, but I had to give them the IMEI number of an older RAZR to get there. The other one I talked to said that only the 3G iPhone requires a data plan - no other AT&T sold smart phone requires a data plan, including the 1st generation iPhone.

I understood that 1st gen, 2G iPhones, as they were not subsidized, did not require a data plan, but AT&T seems to have changed from what I remember.

The new policy is available on ATTWIRELESS.com, at the bottom of the page, link to policies, and then the last paragraph of the smart phone policy has the terms on data plans. Customer service tells me it has always read this way - I don't think so, but......

Anyone out there got an old copy of the AT&T data plan policy??

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Here's the thing... why would you not get a data plan? I mean you might as well just buy a iPod Touch. And I understand you could use WiFi on the iPhone but still... WiFi will not go where ever you go. And if someone can't afford the data plan then maybe that person should not be buying the iPhone. That's just my take on this. To each his/her own I suppose.

kirkrr

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
iPhone without Data Plan

Let's turn your question around, from my son's perspective. As a college student, with ubiquitous wifi, why would I want a data plan? Why pay for something that I get free and at 10 times the speed? And, why carry and iPod touch AND a cell phone, when you can carry one device (along with 40 lbs of books!) AND, apparently you were either born with a silver spoon in your mouth, and never had to live within a college student's limited means.

For me, the monthly nut is not the issue. Personally, I find the need of a data plan to be grossly overstated. If someone wants me bad enough, call. I am not a slave to email, but I do appreciate the ease of integration between phone and PIM on the iPhone, and the wealth of applications available. I could care less about email in real time, or being able to browse the web while in the car. My time is mine, not to be a slave to always connected. Both home and work have WiFi, so what is the value of the data plan? I could care less about the music/video, but I do appreciate the slick, easy to use interface, and the consistent user experience - something my various Blackberry's do not provide. With 20 different deliver platforms on Blackberry, iPhones provide a corporate delivery platform that is light years ahead of BB.

iPod Touch? - I don't want to carry multiple devices. With over a million air miles, I know the value to "less is more". The airplane is the only place where a data plan would have value - whoops! not available or allowed. Oh well.

kirkrr

Sep 17, 2008
Visit site
iPod Touch

Can anyone help me? - based on the earlier post suggesting a iPod Touch, I have been trying it out, but having trouble with phone calls. How do you get the iPod Touch phone to accept phone calls?

Oh, I get it. Because I don't need a data plan, I don't need a phone either.

mcdan333#AC

Jul 30, 2008
Visit site
@kirkrr - I have the required data plan and would not want to do without it, but I agree with you - it would be nice if it was optional. Maybe with a non-subsidized hardware purchase.

Some iPhone owners can be a little... ahem... elitist, shall we say?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Let's turn your question around, from my son's perspective. As a college student, with ubiquitous wifi, why would I want a data plan? Why pay for something that I get free and at 10 times the speed? And, why carry and iPod touch AND a cell phone, when you can carry one device (along with 40 lbs of books!) AND, apparently you were either born with a silver spoon in your mouth, and never had to live within a college student's limited means.

For me, the monthly nut is not the issue. Personally, I find the need of a data plan to be grossly overstated. If someone wants me bad enough, call. I am not a slave to email, but I do appreciate the ease of integration between phone and PIM on the iPhone, and the wealth of applications available. I could care less about email in real time, or being able to browse the web while in the car. My time is mine, not to be a slave to always connected. Both home and work have WiFi, so what is the value of the data plan? I could care less about the music/video, but I do appreciate the slick, easy to use interface, and the consistent user experience - something my various Blackberry's do not provide. With 20 different deliver platforms on Blackberry, iPhones provide a corporate delivery platform that is light years ahead of BB.

iPod Touch? - I don't want to carry multiple devices. With over a million air miles, I know the value to "less is more". The airplane is the only place where a data plan would have value - whoops! not available or allowed. Oh well.

If you are not going to take advantage of everything it offers... I honestly don't see the point. I'm not around WiFi unless I am at home or at work. And those are not the only two places that I spend my life. I'm not going to debate with anyone, but like I said, to each his/her own.

nblanton

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I totally agree with the OP on this one. I live in Raleigh, and I go to college there. I never would use the data plan. It seems like such a waste to pay for something when WiFi is just about everywhere I am; school, home, or at any local bar or coffee shop. My roommate has a 3G iPhone and his old original iPhone that he was going to let me have since he isn't using it anymore. I ran into the same issue as the OP; I just want a phone that is also an iPod (cargo pants are nice, but I don't want to have to wear them to carry a bunch of extra junk). The WiFi is just icing, and the data plan is 30 dollars a month that I can save because I won't use it or need it. Obviously, Bad Ash has forgotten what ramen tastes like when he was in college. I can buy a lot of the stuff with that 30 bucks I could save, or nearly three cases of High Life. :D

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I'm not trying to argue with anyone but I said it before and I'll say it again that's why Apple made the iPod Touch. And I understand where you guys are coming from but millions of other people have to do it and if you can not afford it or simply just don't want it... move on. That is the way AT&T says it has to be. So be it. Or - unlock a iPhone and go to Tmobile, there's nobody stopping you from doing that. They can't force you into a data plan with a iPhone.

Last edited:

llamafier

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
So, uh, couldn't you just tell them you don't have an iPhone and still use it anyway?

This is exactly what I plan on doing when I get mine.

EDIT: Just realized they can probably tell what phone you have... Ugh... :(

Last edited:

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
So, uh, couldn't you just tell them you don't have an iPhone and still use it anyway?

This is exactly what I plan on doing when I get mine.

EDIT: Just realized they can probably tell what phone you have... Ugh... :(

Yup, on A&T the system will pick it up.

Dieters Watch

Oct 12, 2008
Visit site
wow some of you need to get over it. everyone who has a iphone needs a data plan. don't like it? complain to at&t and see how far you get or dont buy a iphone and get something else.

jessejames4#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
wow some of you need to get over it. everyone who has a iphone needs a data plan. don't like it? complain to at&t and see how far you get or dont buy a iphone and get something else.

Hmmm, sounds like you have relinquished your ability to voice a realistic complaint to ATT into your failed mantra for others to follow.

One doesn't have to just "get over it." You can reasonably object and if enough people complain to ATT and flood them with emails that ask for a no-data plan for certain circumstances where it is not needed then they will have no choice to listen. If the moderators were that interested, they would set up a topic with a folder to organize iphone owners into mass emailing ATT, but I don't see that concern.

Do not forget that you CAN change companies policies.

Then there's always the class action lawsuit angle...

Jesse

alex252

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey kirkrr, i just bought an iphone 5 last week from one of the online store on direct bargains. Do i have to buy a data plan too?

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well in a way I think that is just ridiculous well it all depends on how you want to look at it.. Well for myself I for sure have a data plan on my phone since day 1 but I know there is ppl out there who prefer not to have a data plan and have iPhones or smart phones for that matter because they don't really use data that much and if they do they usually on wifi.. So just because someone want to have an iPhone they have to be obligated to have a data plan?.. I would understand if you go on contract but if you going to just buy off the phone shouldn't you have the option wether u want a regular talk n txt plan rather then wasting money on data plan when your really not going to use it? Cause not everyone uses data all the time and even tho some ppl don't use data they still want to have a high quality phone that works great

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well in a way I think that is just ridiculous well it all depends on how you want to look at it.. Well for myself I for sure have a data plan on my phone since day 1 but I know there is ppl out there who prefer not to have a data plan and have iPhones or smart phones for that matter because they don't really use data that much and if they do they usually on wifi.. So just because someone want to have an iPhone they have to be obligated to have a data plan?.. I would understand if you go on contract but if you going to just buy off the phone shouldn't you have the option wether u want a regular talk n txt plan rather then wasting money on data plan when your really not going to use it? Cause not everyone uses data all the time and even tho some ppl don't use data they still want to have a high quality phone that works great

First of all, this is a really old thread - started in 2008...

But to address your point, the wireless companies do it because they can. The other view is simply that a "smart phone" device was designed to be used with a data plan, and many/most of the apps require some sort of data connectivity to function (wifi or cellular)... and wifi is becoming ubiquitous, but it is not quite there yet... so the wireless companies seized an opportunity for another $30 (plus tax/fees) money grab.

Bottom line - like it or not, it is now it works now...

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
First of all, this is a really old thread - started in 2008...

But to address your point, the wireless companies do it because they can. The other view is simply that a "smart phone" device was designed to be used with a data plan, and many/most of the apps require some sort of data connectivity to function (wifi or cellular)... and wifi is becoming ubiquitous, but it is not quite there yet... so the wireless companies seized an opportunity for another $30 (plus tax/fees) money grab.

Bottom line - like it or not, it is now it works now...

Well I don't know because I am from Canada and we don't have anything like that here in any phone company but plans here are already more expensive and u get less compare to in the US

RoboWarrior

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: iPhone without Data Plan

I think what he meant to say is that if you want to save cash why did you pay $600 for an iPhone? (Unless you bought it from Craigslist) It would have been cheaper to purchase an iPod touch. Also all smartphones are required to have a data plan so AT&T will tell you to suck it up

Brandon Richardson

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
From the iPhone's release through 3G, there was only AT&T in the U.S., and the data plan was required. With the 5, there are four operators in the U.S. Which still usually requires a data plan.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods