i'm interested in purchasing a new iphone but am not eligible for an upgrade with at&t until december. if someone who is eligible for an upgrade were to buy the iphone and have it activated on their account, and then give the iphone to me would it still work with my simcard? (sorry for the terrible run-on sentence)
    07-29-2008 03:14 PM
    No, the sim card has to match the iphone acct. If you put ur sim in then it's gonna make you activate the phone again and change your rate plan.
    07-29-2008 03:40 PM
    No, the sim card has to match the iphone acct. If you put ur sim in then it's gonna make you activate the phone again and change your rate plan.
    I bought one for my boss, who really isn't very technically inclined. The way I went about it is I bought it for myself, kept it a few days so I could be sure I could answer his questions about it, then popped his Sim in and put mine back in my old phone. Everything seems to be working fine.
    07-29-2008 04:48 PM
    well, i currently have a treo 750 so my rate plan won't change when i get the new phone. ...already have unlimited data and text.
    07-30-2008 01:05 AM
    just in case anyone else has this question...

my dad bought the 16gb iphone 3g for me for my birthday, he used his upgrade to get the $299 price. on my birthday he gave me the phone, we went to at&t and they activated the phone on my account (which won't be eligible for upgrade until december) with my simcard. the only fee we had to pay was the $30 activation fee. perhaps there is MUCH less red tape than people have been saying.
    08-14-2008 06:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD