ATT/iPhone question for familyTalk plan!

coltzilla84

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Heres the deal,

Im on a familyTalk plan to which we have 4 lines, my dad is the main account holder. My brothers line is the only line that has a ended contract, can he buy the iphone for the discounted price on his line and then swap the iphone to my line? Would I require to renew my 2yr contract since my number would turn into an iphone number, would ATT have a problem with this? Should i just use my brothers phone number? I NEED AN IPHONE! Any ideas to get away with this? :eek:

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
Likely they are not going to be able to give you the iphone at the discounted price. since you dont have and upgrade coming you will have to pay the full price of 399 or 499. if you go to an AT&T store they may even tell you that they are currently not setting up iphones for anyone but upgrade elegible accounts and will be available to sell you a phone at full price shortly.

if you choose to use your brother's phone number there will be no problem upgrading, but they wont be able to use another line's upgrade in this situation. Sorry... my good friend learned this the hard way... after waiting in line for 4 hours...

coltzilla84

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
so your saying my brother cant go in (his contract is up, but on the familyTalk plan) and buy the iphone for 200 and renew his contract ? or are you saying after he gets the phone, i cant take his iphone and activate it on my line?

I know they wont let ME use my brothers line for an upgrade, Obviously im NOT my brother =] But ATT doesnt know i want the iphone not my brother. Does that make sense?

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
your brother could go in there and purchase an iphone no problem, and for the discounted price. But they will likely give you a very hard time to change everything over, if they even let you.
The 3G iphone comes with the SIM card installed adn all they do it port the existing number to that sim card. and on activation they make you sign the 2 year contract.

your best bet is going to be to go to an at&t store where someone is willing to talk to you. tell them your situation, that your brother is willing to purchase the phone for the discount, but then wants to give the phone to you, and see if thats possible.

This isnt like a regular upgrade where you can take anyone's upgrade on your family plan, the individual line which is being upgraded has to be upgrade elidgible. its very complicated.

PrestoFive

Jul 18, 2008
Visit site
Well, the same thing happened to me. When I originally went into the AT&T, they told me I couldn't do that to the iPhone, because my dad is the only person eligible for the upgrade. But, I went in the next week and they said I could use my dad's upgrade, but put my number on it.

I guess it really depends on who you talk too...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73