Odd offer from an AT&T Sales girl

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
Ok, I just called into AT&T's toll free sales number to ask some questions about getting the iPhone 3G and at the end of the call after she'd answered all of my questions the sales girl offered to set up my new AT&T lines for me right now. She said she could get the credit check out of the way and set up the account, port the phone numbers and send me some free phones via overnight delivery. She said that I could just not use those phones and then get the iPhones on Friday and have the SIMs switched over (or something like that, I'm not exactly sure how that would work). I must say, I find this idea very interesting and if it would work I'd probably do it. I'm worried though that by switching now I wouldn't get the regular price on the iPhone on Friday. She said it wouldn't matter because I'd be in the first 30 days of the account during which time you can take back your phone and get a different one for the same price as you'd pay as a new customer anyway.

What do you guys think? It sure would be nice to have all of the account setup done and out of the way before walking into the Apple Store on Friday. There's just this nagging feeling I've got that something would go wrong and everything could get seriously messed up.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Wow, being that I'm also porting over. That sounds so tempting, but we are so close I think I'd just wait. I did however go to my local AT&T store and get credit approval.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
I'm going to be buying my iPhones at an Apple Store and they aren't/can't do the credit pre-approval. I'm told that they are only good at the store where they're done so it doesn't do any good at all to have it done at an AT&T store and then go to an Apple Store (or even a different AT&T store) to actually get the iPhone. This is the biggest reason why this offer is so compelling. The sales girl is supposed to be calling me back in the morning, I told her I wanted to think about it before deciding to do this.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
As far as I know AT&T like most carriers give you a 30 day period to do almost whatever. You can cancel with little to no charge, you can exchange phones for whatever reason once. Sounds to me like she was being legit and helpful. Probably a lot easier and faster to walk in already set up with AT&T, and just do an exchange and modification of calling plan, than to go through all the mess at the store.

It's also a great way to use your little free phone to check out their service area, and then you can port your old number when you switch as well.

supermum

Jun 28, 2008
Visit site
She was doing this so she could make a commission off of you.
Two potential problems:
1. iPhone sells out for some reason and you don't get one until after your 30 days (while not likely, still a possibility) and you are stuck with the crappy phone she sends you.

2. (The most likely) The AT&T guy/gal who you go to to switch out your phone for an iPhone is probably not going to "love you long time" since you gave their huge commission to someone else. Hmmm, do I want to spend an hour dealing with you and I make no money or quickly shove you off rudely so I can make commission on those people standing behind you in line?

abalboa3

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I ran into a similar issue about two weeks ago. After being disappointed by the Instinct I returned it and cancelled my Sprint account. I called AT&T and they told me the same thing about sending me my new phone and getting the iPhone on the 11th. I decided to go into the AT&T store near my home, and the rep there told me the same thing. He actually recommended I get the free phone so that I could use that when I went to the beach. I got the free phone and started my account.

He then called me on 7/3 and told me that he was incorrect. I was not going to be able to keep my free phone and get the iPhone for $299. He told me to bring in my free phone when I went to pick up the iPhone and they could do an exchange since I would be within my 30 day return policy.

I don't see it being a problem as the receipt also says I have 30 days. Kind of a bummer that I don't get to keep the free phone, but I got a sony phone from a buddy so no biggy. I would probably just wait a couple of more days and start your account the day you get the iPhone.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I ran into a similar issue about two weeks ago. After being disappointed by the Instinct I returned it and cancelled my Sprint account. I called AT&T and they told me the same thing about sending me my new phone and getting the iPhone on the 11th. I decided to go into the AT&T store near my home, and the rep there told me the same thing. He actually recommended I get the free phone so that I could use that when I went to the beach. I got the free phone and started my account.

He then called me on 7/3 and told me that he was incorrect. I was not going to be able to keep my free phone and get the iPhone for $299. He told me to bring in my free phone when I went to pick up the iPhone and they could do an exchange since I would be within my 30 day return policy.

I don't see it being a problem as the receipt also says I have 30 days. Kind of a bummer that I don't get to keep the free phone, but I got a sony phone from a buddy so no biggy. I would probably just wait a couple of more days and start your account the day you get the iPhone.

Yeah that's how it works. You use your one exchange for the 30 days to trade in your free one for an iPhone.

Cool Cat

Dec 16, 2004
www.muelver.us
This is interesting. Thanks for sharing your story abalboa3. I think that this would definitely work, and could be a great way to go, but only if you're going to get your iPhone from an AT&T store. I doubt that the Apple Store will be set up to handle this type of a transaction. Unless I can find some concrete evidence otherwise I'll just hold off and do everything at the Apple Store at 8:01am on Friday. :D

Dionte

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
I've read somewhere online of someone doing just about he same thing except he said he got to keep the phone they sent him for free. Would be nice to use as a back up. But I thought the sim's were not swappable on the iphone

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
As Bad Ash pointed out to me you can swap an iPhone sim into another phone but you can't swap another phones sim into an iPhone. Also why would apple include a sim ejector tool if they didnt want the sim to come out?

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
As Bad Ash pointed out to me you can swap an iPhone sim into another phone but you can't swap another phones sim into an iPhone. Also why would apple include a sim ejector tool if they didnt want the sim to come out?

The phone needs a SIM card to run- Apple can't exactly manufacture them into the phone. Also what if your SIM goes bad? Get a new one instead of buying a new phone. Probably a few other reasons I'm too tired to think of right now as well, lol.

coachpete

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Never

I would never try to set up the lines without having the phone in hand first, maybe another ploy to stranglehold customers and then say oops we ran out of 3G iPhone would you like an alternative phone?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2