iphone upgrade loophole

bigbrass93

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
the idea posted on the main site seems to be working on macrumors.com has anyone had success? will both parties remain eligible for an upgrade? all u need is to have an iphone account, no one said anything about needing an iphone.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
i read a comment on one of the sites it linked to stating how it would probably record the various numbers specific to your friends exact iPhone. While I don't really know much of the logistics, I could see the computer coming up with a red flag saying "this IMEI/ESN was already upgraded." Not sure whether it would or not, but it's definitely a possibility to be aware of for your buddy's sake.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
i read a comment on one of the sites it linked to stating how it would probably record the various numbers specific to your friends exact iPhone. While I don't really know much of the logistics, I could see the computer coming up with a red flag saying "this IMEI/ESN was already upgraded." Not sure whether it would or not, but it's definitely a possibility to be aware of for your buddy's sake.

What would really be bad is if it blacklisted the original owners upgrade... Ouch that would hurt... :D

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
What would really be bad is if it blacklisted the original owners upgrade... Ouch that would hurt... :D

Yeah I was reading, and I was like hmm, sounds like a good idea, then I saw the comment saying that before I stopped to think about it, and I was like yeah, there's definitely a point there. No way to say whether or not that's how it works, but it's easy enough for the number to be recorded with your SIM, and stored in their system. I suppose no one would really be able to answer that unless they work for AT&T somewhat higher up, or find out the hard way:rolleyes:. Time will tell I guess.

G_man

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I did exactly what the post indicated I was eligible to upgrade and now I am. I asked my friend who has an iphone to do it for me and explained to nothing would happened
and now I'm eligible to upgrade it works flawlessly and I'm telling everyone that wants an iphone that are not eligible. Thanks for the tip you guys good work!

Gman

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I did exactly what the post indicated I was eligible to upgrade and now I am. I asked my friend who has an iphone to do it for me and explained to nothing would happened
and now I'm eligible to upgrade it works flawlessly and I'm telling everyone that wants an iphone that are not eligible. Thanks for the tip you guys good work!

Gman

Watch your friend not be able to upgrade... :D

bigbrass93

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
iphone upgrade

i tried the little move on macrumors that said to use someone elses iphone to upgrade to an old iphone contract, then i should be eligible for the upgrade. my account is still showing that i am not eligible for an upgrade, but its showing the iphone data plan. any idea if i'll get it?