I just got off the phone with AT&T so they could run a credit check. They want a $500 deposit (no way) but he also told me for people don't pass the credit check there WILL be a prepaid option for the non-contracted iPhone 3G.
    07-02-2008 06:11 PM
    IF this is true (I hope so for you!!!) did you write down your reference number for your credit check? That way they can pull it up immediately and you can get your prepaid phone without running your credit again.
    07-02-2008 08:59 PM
    Bummer. But don't put all your eggs in the prepaid basket: ATT phone reps love to tell you whatever is convenient. Hope the option will become available, but don't be placing any bets.
    07-02-2008 09:07 PM
    I'm not spending the $700 on the iPhone, I'm just going to have my mom come with me to get it. But I thought someone might want to know that the prepay iPhone seems to be an option.
    07-02-2008 11:37 PM
    Bummer. But don't put all your eggs in the prepaid basket: ATT phone reps love to tell you whatever is convenient. Hope the option will become available, but don't be placing any bets.
    It will be available. CHeck out this post at HoFo.
    What will I pay for iPhone 3G?
    If you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB.

Will I pay an upgrade fee?
    Yes. You will pay an $18 upgrade fee.
    07-03-2008 08:32 AM
    I would not be so sure that there is going to be a pre-paid plan. On At&t's website it clearly says "Prepaid is not available for iPhone 3G". And the link Kupe posted above says nothing regarding a pre-paid plan. It simply says "AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB." That's fine and dandy but you can sign up for a plan and go month to month. Says nothing about pre-paid.
    07-03-2008 10:06 AM
    And the link Kupe posted above says nothing regarding a pre-paid plan.
    My bad. Here's the information about GoPhone (prepaid) and the iPhone. Click on "New to AT&T" where it says:
    Can I activate iPhone 3G on GoPhone Prepaid service?
    No. GoPhone Prepaid is not available for iPhone 3G at this time.
    Hopefully that works for you. There's a lot of clarifying information at that AT&T site now.
    07-03-2008 12:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD