$30 data?

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Man that sucks.
I was hoping they'd keep the $20 data plan. Now the lowest iPhone plan possible is $70 a month!

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm very disappointed in AT&T jacking up the prices on the iPhone 3G. Almost spoils the announcement for me.

I'm unsure of what I'm going to do now..

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...3Dnews%26newsarticleid%3D25791&token=BW2UJTCi
I wonder if that means I'll have to pay $45 to use hosted exchange? This only cost met $30 on WM.

If you can do it with WM, you will be able to do it with the iPhone. The only thing that is changing is that the iPhone is receiving normal smartphone data pricing as opposed to its own special plan.

In other words, the data plan you have with your WM device will be the same type you have with the iPhone. At least that is what it sounds like.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I'm very disappointed in AT&T jacking up the prices on the iPhone 3G. Almost spoils the announcement for me.

Yeah that really put a damper on things.
Along with no more included dock and mandatory in-store activation!

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
What about visual voicemail? That used to be included in the iPhone data plan, and if the new data plan is just a standard PDA data plan, does it still include Visual Voicemail? What about the 200 text messages?

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
What about visual voicemail? That used to be included in the iPhone data plan, and if the new data plan is just a standard PDA data plan, does it still include Visual Voicemail? What about the 200 text messages?

I'm sure visual voicemail is still included but those 200 text messages sound like they're gone, sadly. AT&T sucks big time.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure visual voicemail is still included but those 200 text messages sound like they're gone, sadly. AT&T sucks big time.

I don't know why I included the text messages because I have an unlimited plan, so it won't affect me one way or another. I currently pay $30 for my BlackBerry Personal plan as well, so that won't affect me either. The Visual Voicemail had BETTER be there though! That is a huge feature of the iPhone, and one I LOVED when I had it.

I jumped for joy at the initial pricing announcement, now I am not so sure if the "technical" subsidization is a good thing.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I don't know why I included the text messages because I have an unlimited plan, so it won't affect me one way or another. I currently pay $30 for my BlackBerry Personal plan as well, so that won't affect me either. The Visual Voicemail had BETTER be there though! That is a huge feature of the iPhone, and one I LOVED when I had it.

I jumped for joy at the initial pricing announcement, now I am not so sure if the "technical" subsidization is a good thing.

It still is under the features:
http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/phone.html

It had better be included in that data plan. AT&T is becoming more and more annoying.

kevinbell

Jun 9, 2008
Visit site
I've never understood the difference between a Data plan and their Media plans. I've used my Treo on the MediaMax Unlimited plan ($15) for years now. Use POP email as well as Exchange Server through work.

Doubt if I get an iPhone, I'd be that lucky and have to migrate to their higher priced plan.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I've never understood the difference between a Data plan and their Media plans. I've used my Treo on the MediaMax Unlimited plan ($15) for years now. Use POP email as well as Exchange Server through work.

Doubt if I get an iPhone, I'd be that lucky and have to migrate to their higher priced plan.

You are technically using a plan on your Treo that you shouldn't be. You should should be using the $30 PDA Personal plan. As long as they don't find out though, more power to you.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site

With the increase in data plan price, $10 more per month for 24 months is $240 + $199 = $439... this is essential the cost of the new iPhone.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Welcome to the data world that all of us using BlackBerrys and WinMo phones have been living for a long time. The only reason it has increased to $30 a month is because it is now classified as a smartphone instead of a feature phone.

It is just inline with At&t's other smartphone/PDA/BlackBerry Personal data plans.

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
The price of the iPhone and it's data plan is now pretty much the same as all other PDAs, smartphones, and Blackberries.
Welcome to the world of standard PDA pricing.

caseychan

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I guess the iPhone is no longer the apple of AT&T's eyes anymore..

It was cool in the past year because it seemed like though the iPhone itself was expensive, the "iPhone Plan' was paving a way for very affordable unlimited data plans complete with SMS.

It's really saddening to see AT&T place such a grip on the iPhone and stripping what once made the iPhone unique. The iPhone is now just a phone in the carrier lineup..nothing more

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I would agree c4sizzle. It's now just a normal "PDA" in the lineup.
I just hope they don't treat it "special" and restrict which phone I can use my SIM in for data if that's the case. If this is how it is, then please no special treatment.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I guess the iPhone is no longer the apple of AT&T's eyes anymore..

It was cool in the past year because it seemed like though the iPhone itself was expensive, the "iPhone Plan' was paving a way for very affordable unlimited data plans complete with SMS.

It's really saddening to see AT&T place such a grip on the iPhone and stripping what once made the iPhone unique. The iPhone is now just a phone in the carrier lineup..nothing more

I wonder how things would have ended up if the deal with Verizon went through.

volsfan0911

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
VZW would rape you in a similar fashion. Been there, done that. :mad: On the bright side, I get a cell allowance monthly, so should be able to fit a reasonable voice plan in with $30/month for data and come in under budget. If ActiveSync works like it did on my WinMo devices with VZW, then it'll be a snap to link up to my company's exchange server. They probably won't be deploying iPhones (yeah, cheap arse bastards who won't put most people on BES anymore) but actively encourage employees to use WinMo devices to access company email remotely (a.k.a. we aren't paying for more BES licenses, etc.). I'll wait and see the details on Exchange integration and if it'll be as simple as it was with the MotoQ and T700wx. Don't see any reason why not - activesync is activesync no matter which platform it's running on?

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Yup, that is exactly what it is turning out to be. I'm ok with that, it keeps stuff simple. One less play for AT&T to deal with. One less specific contract for AT&T to deal with (since there is no more revenue sharing).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR