$30 data?

Libuff

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
i may just be a verizon BB --> iphone 2.0 convert... $30 for data plan, you guys complain? ugh... i pay nearly $150/mo for my BB... BIS costs $44.99 for unlimited...

taylorh

May 24, 2004
www.gadgetech.info
I've never understood the difference between a Data plan and their Media plans. I've used my Treo on the MediaMax Unlimited plan ($15) for years now. Use POP email as well as Exchange Server through work.

Doubt if I get an iPhone, I'd be that lucky and have to migrate to their higher priced plan.
The only difference is the name and the price. Media Net plans are the same identical thing to data plans.
Same with iPhone (at least iPhone 1). It's just a media net plan.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Ya right at&t give up that much money I doubt it. Just think if there are 1 million iphone owners that upgrade att just lost out on $240 million for the life of those subscribers contracts. Do you really think they are going to do that. I bet they won't?

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Ya right at&t give up that much money I doubt it. Just think if there are 1 million iphone owners that upgrade att just lost out on $240 million for the life of those subscribers contracts. Do you really think they are going to do that. I bet they won't?
It would be nice to have a little something for original iPhone owners. Maybe a year of $20 / month 3G access. Something to promote goodwill and enhance customer loyalty.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The new $30 data plan for the iPhoen 3G is that going to include txt messages? I don't know anything about their standard data plans. All I know is the 200 txt msgs that come with the iPhone.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
The new $30 data plan for the iPhoen 3G is that going to include txt messages? I don't know anything about their standard data plans. All I know is the 200 txt msgs that come with the iPhone.
From an MSNBC article:

Consumers with the current generation iPhone pay $20 a month for an unlimited Internet and e-mail use, and can send up to 200 text messages as part of that plan. However, those who buy the new iPhone, due out July 11, will pay $30 a month for unlimited Internet and e-mail. It is not clear yet whether text messaging will be part of that cost, or an add-on.

“That’s part of the pricing we’ll get into more detail about as we get closer to launch date,” said Mark A. Seigel, executive director of media relations for AT&T Mobility.

hermdog

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
The question I have is can you use the $30 Consumer Data Plan to access a corporate Exchange server or will AT&T force you onto the $45 Enterprise Data Plan? In essence what is the difference between the two?

I would hope that as an individual user I could use the $30 plan to connect to my work's exchange server.

hermdog

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I contacted AT&T today and I couldn't get a straight answer. The person I spoke with said they don't know anything about business plans. This is ridiculous. At this rate, we'll have to wait until the release date to find out plan specifics. I would get an iPhone at the Apple Store, I wouldn't want AT&T activating the phone and screwing it up.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
If you are going to use a corporate Exchange server, you need the business class data plan. That is the exact reason it exists.

You can probably use the standard, $30 data plan, but be aware that if you get caught, At&t can hold you responsible for the pay per use data rate for all you have used.

This is another thing that isn't iPhone specific though. It is the same with Windows Mobile and Palm devices. If you connect either of them to a corporate Exchange server without having the proper data plan and get caught, they can do the same thing.

Chances are you can play stupid and get out of paying, but is it really worth the risk?

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
If you are going to use a corporate Exchange server, you need the business class data plan. That is the exact reason it exists.

You can probably use the standard, $30 data plan, but be aware that if you get caught, At&t can hold you responsible for the pay per use data rate for all you have used.

This is another thing that isn't iPhone specific though. It is the same with Windows Mobile and Palm devices. If you connect either of them to a corporate Exchange server without having the proper data plan and get caught, they can do the same thing.

Chances are you can play stupid and get out of paying, but is it really worth the risk?

I wonder what AT&T is going to do with all the people who already have iPhones with the $20 plan and then just start connecting them to their exchange servers. Its going to get ugly when some people are paying over twice as much and getting far less than the origial iPhone owners are getting with their data/ texting plan.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Hmm. Another question.
Since you're required to activate in store, what's with this penalty from not activating the phone within 30 days? Do they mean not hooking up to iTunes or what?

I'm really bummed about this whole thing. I wonder if they'll have to open up your shiny new iPhone or activate different SIM cards for you to put in after you leave so you don't have to open up the box (maybe that's why they included a SIM ejector tool?).

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Hmm. Another question.
Since you're required to activate in store, what's with this penalty from not activating the phone within 30 days? Do they mean not hooking up to iTunes or what?

I'm really bummed about this whole thing. I wonder if they'll have to open up your shiny new iPhone or activate different SIM cards for you to put in after you leave so you don't have to open up the box (maybe that's why they included a SIM ejector tool?).
I agree with you. I don't want to open the box until I get home. I would want to be the first consumer (non-factory worker) to touch it. Hmmm... if they only activate a SIM card for you, it sounds like it could speed the process up. This certainly makes sense, since they don't have to open every box that is shrink-wrapped.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I agree with you. I don't want to open the box until I get home. I would want to be the first consumer (non-factory worker) to touch it. Hmmm... if they only activate a SIM card for you, it sounds like it could speed the process up. This certainly makes sense, since they don't have to open every box that is shrink-wrapped.

Or use some sort of code on the bottom of the box to enter in iTunes when you get home.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I think you are on to something there that has got to be the reason for the sim ejector tool. Because really who is going to want to wait in line for a bunch of people to have to rip open the boxes and dig through everything then activate it. The only thing is how would they do this at the apple store because at&t is saying that you won't leave the store be it apples or theirs without it activated. Hmm I guess we'll see

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
A barcode would make sense, it would certainly improve the activation process. But does it really take 10 minutes? This might be true for new customers (entering their info, etc.), but I guess it also takes that long for current customers to renew their contract. If AT&T does in fact just scan a barcode and the customer finishes activating it on iTunes, why hasn't this been communicated to customers? What are they trying to hide?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73