Odd CarPlay Behavior

MikeElmendorf

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
A little over a week ago, I started having issues with CarPlay in my 2021 BMW M550. My phone was running iOS 14.5.1. When I would attempt to play back text messages in the vehicle, I would usually get no sound and would often get no sound confirming what I dictated if I tried to reply.

I upgraded to iOS 14.6 and that situation seems to have (mostly) resolved itself, although it has happened once or twice since.

Today when I got in the car, instead of LTE showing on the CarPlay screen, it indicated it was connected to WiFi. I was not getting any data on my phone as a result. Poking around in the car, it also showed my Apple Watch and iPad (which was in my briefcase in the trunk) were also connected. I'd never seen that before.

I toggled the wifi off on my phone and it again showed the LTE connection in CarPlay and incoming data was working.

The next time I got in the car, it would not connect at all via CarPlay and it took me several attempts of unpairing and repairing to (I think) get it to work again. I'll find out next time I get in.

I'm a little puzzled, as nothing changed in the vehicle to my knowledge. Has anyone else seen anything like this? Any ideas?

Thanks.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Are you using wireless or wired CarPlay?

Wireless CarPlay uses a WiFi connection to your car to stream the video feed from your phone.

I have to say I have yet to experience a similar behaviour, but I have been using CarPlay for just over a month.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2