Is Apple CarPlay available to install in a new car from retailers?

colocolo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I am getting rid of a car tomorrow where for the last 3 yrs I enjoyed a built in Apple CarPlay with the vehicle,

I am getting a new Honda HRV without the the toy because the break down on the add ons that I don't need/want other than the Apple CarPlay, amount to $3,000 dollars more on the sticker price.

I do not need a Sun Roof, nor Fog Lights, nor Digital Instrument Panel, nor a starter button rather than a Key etc. etc.

My question is, is Apple CarPlay available to install in a new car, from retailers out there ??

If you know there is something out there, or you have done what I am looking for please let me know.

The HRV does come with a Built In LCD Monitor already for the Rear View Camera. And a Blue Tooth Connection for the I phone Stored Music and The hands off Phone features.

Thanks for your help

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Apple CarPlay Question.

Not without installing a receiver of some sort - at least not to my knowledge. Check out the suggested selection via the iMore Blog.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I had an after market head unit installed. All said and done it was about $1,200. I’d check around and get quotes.

colocolo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
wenrob:

I looked at the link that Just_Me_D posted for me in his reply and saw there units for half the price of $1,200 you invested, of course what I saw was probably not takinn into consideration the install price.

I am goinn to do a search on Youtube also later on today, I am trying to see all possible avenues.

Thanks

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity what is the price to add CarPlay to your new car? That but of info would be helpful in determining if an aftermarket head unit would make sense. Is the screen for the backup camera the same as where the audio is controlled from? Just thinking what would happen to backup camera screen in order to replace the head unit. A picture of HRV dash would help that

colocolo

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, as I stated in the opening post, the lowest HRV with the AppleCarPlay is the second HIGHEST Tear, With other luxuries than I do not care for and at the Tune of $3,000 plus. So thats a Nono for me.

I wont be inside the HRV again until tomorrow when I bring it home....I will measure the Screen and take a picture of the radio face then and hopefully post it here.

Txs for your help and suggestions.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
wenrob:

I looked at the link that Just_Me_D posted for me in his reply and saw there units for half the price of $1,200 you invested, of course what I saw was probably not takinn into consideration the install price.

I am goinn to do a search on Youtube also later on today, I am trying to see all possible avenues.

Thanks

Yeah that was with install plus we needed a harness.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, as I stated in the opening post, the lowest HRV with the AppleCarPlay is the second HIGHEST Tear, With other luxuries than I do not care for and at the Tune of $3,000 plus. So thats a Nono for me.

I wont be inside the HRV again until tomorrow when I bring it home....I will measure the Screen and take a picture of the radio face then and hopefully post it here.

I’ll tell you my husband went aftermarket on his stereo and lower end on the features on his truck. Now his stereo system is fairly high end but what I don’t like is that it made some features that did come with the stock unit/system unusable and it’s just not as clean looking. Fine for an old vehicle like mine, kind of disappointing in a brand new one. It also cost us a fortune. That’s why encourage getting some quotes before you make a decision. You don’t want it costing you the couple of grand you’re trying to save.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

So if you opt for CarPlay it’ll cost $3,000? That’s ridiculous

rebretz000

Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
I had an Apple CarPlay receiver installed in my and my wife’s Subaru’s at Best Buy and it only cost around $1700 when all was done. I bought receivers on sale and installation was free. Right now would be a good time to look into there. Memorial Day sale plus with everything else going on they may have additional deals.

DzoniS

May 25, 2020
Visit site
I also used an aftermarket Apple CarPlay from [redacted] site (not sure if I can post a link). it was an quick installation and their customer service is very reliable. Good luck on your search!

Last edited by a moderator:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I just looked at Honda's site, and they show CarPlay as standard on the Sport (2nd lowest option) and above. That is a $1700 premium over the LX. Still a bit of an upgrade, but not as bad as you thought.

HRV_Carplay.JPG

Unfortunately with most new cars a simple headunit replacement is no longer possible. There are devices from several manufacturers that will add CarPlay to your existing screen. The aren't cheap (around $400-500 from what I have seen), and aren't available for all cars, but it is an option for some older vehicles.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think that getting a factory installed CarPlay ready head unit is your best option. Yes it’s pricey but in the long run it will save you a huge headache of getting an aftermarket unit installed that may or may not be compatible with steering wheel controls and backup camera. If it were up to me I would bite the bullet and get the factory installed option. Not to mention dropping Your car off at a shop for who knows how long so they can install it, just a huge PITA

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
When I got a new Alpine unit for my 2013 CRV EXL, I was also given options to have all the steering wheel controls work with the new unit which included several additional modules. Now I have a “white noise” sound at low volume that neither Alpine nor Honda can figure out. IMHO, spend the extra money and go with the factory setup. That way you know everything’s going to work correctly and if it doesn’t, you can go back to Honda for a resolution.