Is there a way to have Apple Maps display in dark mode all the time? It goes into dark mode when I’m in a tunnel or under an underpass, I’m not exactly sure what triggers it but I’ve changed the CarPlay settings but it’s still in day mode. My iPhone maps is in dark mode but displays day mode in CarPlay
    12-01-2019 12:14 AM
    When in Dark mode only, the background should always be dark. But the map itself is tied to your headlights. Or so I read. So in daytime when your lights are off, the map will not be in Dark mode. If this is how it works, there's not anything you can do to keep it in Dark Mode. Try leaving your lights on during the day. Or put a piece of black electrical tape over the light sensor on the dash and trick it to thinking it's night. I don't have CarPlay and not sure anything I've said makes sense or works. Maybe someone with experience will chime in.
    12-01-2019 09:55 AM
    When in Dark mode only, the background should always be dark. But the map itself is tied to your headlights. Or so I read. So in daytime when your lights are off, the map will not be in Dark mode. If this is how it works, there's not anything you can do to keep it in Dark Mode. Try leaving your lights on during the day. Or put a piece of black electrical tape over the light sensor on the dash and trick it to thinking it's night. I don't have CarPlay and not sure anything I've said makes sense or works. Maybe someone with experience will chime in.
    Hmmmm I have my lights set to automatic, will try to keep them on and see if that does the trick. The tape over sensor I’ll pass on lol. Seems like a dumb idea to tie it to headlights. Either on or off, no in between
    12-01-2019 10:04 AM
    It’s tied for sure to the main headlight circuit, or in my case, more specifically, the light sensor that triggers them. My truck also has daytime running lights, these do not trigger dark mode in Apple Maps. If I wanted to turn off my automatic lights and manually set them on, then it would turn on dark mode. It’s an annoyance for sure to have maps changing day/night mode like that. Just being in my car port triggers night mode and my headlights, then I drive out and day mode turns on.
    Just_Me_D and ZOFOURTWENTY like this.
    12-01-2019 06:27 PM
    Same here. When my headlights turn on the map gets dark. On cloudy days or right around sunrise and sunset it’s quite annoying because my headlights tend to turn on and off frequently.
    Switched to Waze and have it set for Night so the map is always dark regardless of whether or not my headlights are on.
    12-01-2019 06:59 PM
    Hmmmm I have my lights set to automatic, will try to keep them on and see if that does the trick. The tape over sensor I’ll pass on lol. Seems like a dumb idea to tie it to headlights. Either on or off, no in between
    I liked the tape idea better, because I wouldn't want to leave my headlights on all the time and wear them out faster.
    12-02-2019 03:09 PM
    I liked the tape idea better, because I wouldn't want to leave my headlights on all the time and wear them out faster.
    The tape idea turns your headlights on too, just via the sensor. The only benefit to defeating the sensor is you wouldn't accidentally leave the lights on (though most cars will either chime you to death or not let you do that anyway). As of now the only way to make the maps dark is to have headlights on. I for one don't have an issue with this. I prefer the bright during the day so they are easy to read, and dark at night so not straining on your eyes.
    12-03-2019 10:26 AM
    Everyone is right, they are tied to the headlights and today is a cloudy day so the dark mode stayed on later than us usual. I’ll guess I’ll submit a feature request to Apple and see what they say lol
    12-03-2019 10:30 AM