Connecting to CarPlay

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I’m new to CarPlay and today I bought a 2018 Volkswagen Tiguan. In order for me to get started I have connect my 11 Pro via USB. I want to use CarPlay but I don’t want my iPhone charging constantly. Is the USB connection only for initial setup and then afterwards it’ll connect via Bluetooth? I haven’t had a chance to mess with it yet and couldn’t find a straight answer on Google. Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless your car supports wireless CarPlay, you will have to leave your iPhone connected via USB in order to use “CarPlay”.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Unless your car supports wireless CarPlay, you will have to leave your iPhone connected via USB in order to use “CarPlay”.

Dam. Guess I’ll have to mess around with it and see if it does. If it doesn’t then I guess I won’t be using it smh. Thanks bud, I can always count on you for the info

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Dam. Guess I’ll have to mess around with it and see if it does. If it doesn’t then I guess I won’t be using it smh. Thanks bud, I can always count on you for the info

You’re welcome, sir. I have a 2019 BMW 430i Gran Coupè xDrive and it has wireless CarPlay. With that being said, I can disable CarPlay and use the Bluetooth feature of BMW’s iDrive system and still be able to view and play my Music playlists. Because of that, I already know I won’t be renewing BMW’s Wireless CarPlay subscription after the initial year is up.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You’re welcome, sir. I have a 2019 BMW 430i Gran Coupè xDrive and it has wireless CarPlay. With that being said, I can disable CarPlay and use the Bluetooth feature of BMW’s iDrive system and still be able to view and play my Music playlists. Because of that, I already know I won’t be renewing BMW’s Wireless CarPlay subscription after the initial year is up.

I reas about that subscription, what a rip. Double dipping really is the worst

Dwood1970

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site

Interested in knowing why you don’t want to have your phone plugged in all the time in the car?

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I meant I’m interested in your reason why you don’t want to have your phone plugged in all the time.

Oh. Well when I sold my XS my battery health was at 89%. I bought the iPhone at launch and only charged it overnight so that iCloud could do its thing. Then I bought a Smart Battery Case that had a charging issue, it would only charge to 79%. I took it to Genius Bar and they were able to replicate the issue. When I called in the issue to Apple Support to get the claim going they (senior tech or so she said) advises me that I shouldn’t have the battery case plugged in all the time because it could affect my internal battery and battery in battery case. Guys at Genius Bar laughed at that statement and told me I was good to go. So I went weeks without removing my battery case because of work and constantly needed the juice. Then as iPhone Pro 11 pre order day neared and I was getting to sell my XS I realized my battery health was at 89% so i went back to Genius Bar where they assured me the wear was normal and my battery was in range of “good” status. Then I read this and was like WTH

https://www.imore.com/people-are-qu...eir-iphone-xs-battery-has-aged-over-past-year

So I don’t know who to believe and have taken steps to minimize overnight charging even thought iOS 13 has an optimized battery charging feature, I still have concerns and am not fully convinced the issue has been addressed. Just a personal preference. I don’t want to plug my iPhone 11 in when I’m just going for a 15min drive, seems ridiculous that I have to. I’m hoping my CarPlay supports wireless but I’ll see that when I get a chance to mess with it, most likely after football games today

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You’re very welcome, sir...

You would think since Audi falls under the VW umbrella they would have Wireless CarPlay rolled out to VW as well but since it requires a WiFi connection then that means they would need to have WiFi plans available in those models.

Just thinking out loud: allow owner to connect vehicle to my hotspot to create a WiFi connection. I would bring my iPad with me and call it a day but I’m sure there are challenges surrounding that idea as well (a man can dream, right). Bottom line: I guess in a way wireless CarPlay support is a hardware feature (for now) since it requires WiFi. I guess I’ll continue BT Audio connection like a mutt lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You would think since Audi falls under the VW umbrella they would have Wireless CarPlay rolled out to VW as well but since it requires a WiFi connection then that means they would need to have WiFi plans available in those models.

Just thinking out loud: allow owner to connect vehicle to my hotspot to create a WiFi connection. I would bring my iPad with me and call it a day but I’m sure there are challenges surrounding that idea as well (a man can dream, right). Bottom line: I guess in a way wireless CarPlay support is a hardware feature (for now) since it requires WiFi. I guess I’ll continue BT Audio connection like a mutt lol

That is exactly what BMW did - create a hotspot for use with CarPlay and they made it where you can only access CarPlay via that hotspot.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
For what it’s worth I only every charged my XS overnight and when I was out and about using CarPlay. My battery health was still at 100% when I traded it in on the Pro Max. My husband on the other hand is a “chronic charger.” If there’s a lightning cable around he’ll plug it in. He also runs his phone WAY harder than I do, streaming music at work 12-14 hours a day among other things. I checked his battery health (also an XS) the other day and it’s at 99%. My kids are at something like 85% on 3 year old iPhone 7s and their charging habits are all over the place. I personally think it’s all a crapshoot when it comes to battery life. I don’t think the minimal power you’d be drawing using CarPlay would be the thing that’s going to hammer your battery.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
For what it’s worth I only every charged my XS overnight and when I was out and about using CarPlay. My battery health was still at 100% when I traded it in on the Pro Max. My husband on the other hand is a “chronic charger.” If there’s a lightning cable around he’ll plug it in. He also runs his phone WAY harder than I do, streaming music at work 12-14 hours a day among other things. I checked his battery health (also an XS) the other day and it’s at 99%. My kids are at something like 85% on 3 year old iPhone 7s and their charging habits are all over the place. I personally think it’s all a crapshoot when it comes to battery life. I don’t think the minimal power you’d be drawing using CarPlay would be the thing that’s going to hammer your battery.

While I agree with everything you’ve said here. Resale values go down when you disclose a battery health of 89%

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711