Connecting to CarPlay

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So the only way I know to get around avoiding my iPhone being constantly plugged in is to have a separate device just for CarPlay. I got an SE that I bought just for CarPlay. I know my text messages won’t come in but I’ll be hotspotting my SE to my 11 for maps and pandora. I currently pay $4 for traffic through siriusXM on my infotainment system but I am not a fan of the UI. I don’t like how it handles Navigation so I’m going to give this other setup a shot. I have an iPhone 5 that I tested this setup with but I have 2 issues with my 5, it only updates to iOS 10.3.4 and there’s an issue with charging port so it doesn’t always stay connected. I should be getting my SE on Tuesday so I’ll report back on my little side project. My plan is to just keep the SE tucked away under the console or something

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I rode with a friend to a meeting on Tuesday, and she has a 2018 Chevy Cruz. It has CarPlay, and she kept her phone plugged in the entire time. I wondered about that and now I understand why!

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
CarPlay and Bluetooth are two different features/services. Generally speaking, to use CarPlay you have to use a cable.

That is correct that Bluetooth and CarPlay are different features. However, for most vehicles, Step One to setting up CarPlay is to connect your device to Bluetooth. Then Step 2 is to connect your cord to your iPhone and setup CarPlay. I’m not sure why step 1 is setting up Bluetooth and I can’t confirm that it’s any a requirement? That said I do like that when I disconnect CarPlay my phone immediately switches to Bluetooth.

Maybe the step of setting up Bluetooth is unnecessary but it’s in the directions so I did it. With respect to using a cable, as the 2020 models continue rolling out there are more and more wireless CarPlay vehicles floating around.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I wonder if they’ll release a device that will convert wired CarPlay to wireless. I’d buy it

There are such devices out now. Look on Amazon/ebay for something the works with your particular vehicle. They appear to be unique to certain manufacturers and models, but I have seen a lot of people starting to use them on Porsches lately.

For myself I would rather have wired CarPlay. In most cases when I use it I am using it for a long time so I want my phone to be charged.

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There are such devices out now. Look on Amazon/ebay for something the works with your particular vehicle. They appear to be unique to certain manufacturers and models, but I have seen a lot of people starting to use them on Porsches lately.

For myself I would rather have wired CarPlay. In most cases when I use it I am using it for a long time so I want my phone to be charged.

Everything I’ve seen out there are geared towards Android Auto

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So just an update as to my little side project:

I got an SE that I leave plugged in to my car all the time for CarPlay and I use Maps, Pandora and iHeartRadio apps by using my 11 Pro as a hotspot for the SE. it works flawlessly. I like the layout of the Apple Maps better than my Navigation in car which I pay $4/month for traffic and the UI is just trash IMO.

I like that I can search for an address on my 11 and then it syncs to my SE through iCloud. The only function I wish would work seamlessly is the AUTO-CONNECT to hotspot. Sometimes is does other times I have Go into settings and click on the 11 to have it connect but a small inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

So far paying $40 for a blacklisted SE has paid off. Until they drop iOS 14 and SE won’t support then I’ll have to get a 7 or newer device but let’s cross that bridge when we get to it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro