I like to listen to my favorite podcast only available on the iHeartRadio app, and I use CarPlay to have it in my car’s video/navigation screen. It’s so irritating when I open my text message app (stock iOS Messages app) and Siri automatically stops my podcast and starts to read the text messages. Is there a way to prevent Siri from pausing my podcast and not read them when I open the Messages app while listening to the iHeartRadio app?
    06-14-2019 11:39 AM
    Pretty sure this is a "safety" feature, not sure that you can turn it off.
    wenrob likes this.
    06-14-2019 12:38 PM
    No. It’s designed to keep your eyes on the road while you’re driving.
    06-14-2019 03:11 PM
    It’s a stupid safety measure then, because it does the opposite, since I have to try and shut Siri up and put my podcast back on. Would be so much easier (and safer) if it just wouldn’t read the message at all.
    06-16-2019 10:59 AM
    It’s a stupid safety measure then, because it does the opposite, since I have to try and shut Siri up and put my podcast back on. Would be so much easier (and safer) if it just wouldn’t read the message at all.
    The podcast resumes once the message is read, you don’t have to do anything. You also don’t have to read/listen to it right away either. Reading texts while you’re driving is dangerous no matter how good you think you are at it.
    06-16-2019 11:27 AM
    Don't open the Messages app, perhaps?
    ivanwi11iams, Lee_Bo and Just_Me_D like this.
    06-16-2019 11:31 AM
    Then feel free to contact the NTSB / Apple and tell them it's a "stupid safety measure".
    wenrob likes this.
    06-17-2019 07:31 AM
    I like to listen to my favorite podcast only available on the iHeartRadio app, and I use CarPlay to have it in my car’s video/navigation screen. It’s so irritating when I open my text message app (stock iOS Messages app) and Siri automatically stops my podcast and starts to read the text messages. Is there a way to prevent Siri from pausing my podcast and not read them when I open the Messages app while listening to the iHeartRadio app?
    Why open the Messages app in CarPlay? You can’t read them. The sender’s name or number appears briefly on the display when a message is received.
    06-17-2019 08:49 AM
    I don't think it's stupid at all. The only issue I would have is one of privacy. I wouldn't always want my messages read out loud if I have other people in the car. For example... my sister Lilli is riding with me, and someone texts me with something like, what time is Lilli's surprise party? But as a matter of safety, I think it's a very good thing.
    06-17-2019 10:17 AM
    I don't think it's stupid at all. The only issue I would have is one of privacy. I wouldn't always want my messages read out loud if I have other people in the car. For example... my sister Lilli is riding with me, and someone texts me with something like, what time is Lilli's surprise party? But as a matter of safety, I think it's a very good thing.
    Does anybody really ever get truly surprised at those things?
    06-17-2019 01:13 PM
    Yup! We just had two of them within a three week period. It was completely nerve-wracking for everyone involved except for the guest of honor... both of who never saw it coming!
    06-17-2019 01:16 PM
    My 21st, all those years ago; I was caught totally off guard...
    06-17-2019 05:52 PM
    My 21st, all those years ago; I was caught totally off guard...
    My surprise 50th, I totally knew!
    06-18-2019 09:01 AM