How to stop Siri from reading text messages in CarPlay

NPCz83

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
I like to listen to my favorite podcast only available on the iHeartRadio app, and I use CarPlay to have it in my car’s video/navigation screen. It’s so irritating when I open my text message app (stock iOS Messages app) and Siri automatically stops my podcast and starts to read the text messages. Is there a way to prevent Siri from pausing my podcast and not read them when I open the Messages app while listening to the iHeartRadio app?

NPCz83

Mar 2, 2018
Visit site
It’s a stupid safety measure then, because it does the opposite, since I have to try and shut Siri up and put my podcast back on. Would be so much easier (and safer) if it just wouldn’t read the message at all.

wenrob

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
It’s a stupid safety measure then, because it does the opposite, since I have to try and shut Siri up and put my podcast back on. Would be so much easier (and safer) if it just wouldn’t read the message at all.

The podcast resumes once the message is read, you don’t have to do anything. You also don’t have to read/listen to it right away either. Reading texts while you’re driving is dangerous no matter how good you think you are at it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site

Then feel free to contact the NTSB / Apple and tell them it's a "stupid safety measure".

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I like to listen to my favorite podcast only available on the iHeartRadio app, and I use CarPlay to have it in my car’s video/navigation screen. It’s so irritating when I open my text message app (stock iOS Messages app) and Siri automatically stops my podcast and starts to read the text messages. Is there a way to prevent Siri from pausing my podcast and not read them when I open the Messages app while listening to the iHeartRadio app?

Why open the Messages app in CarPlay? You can’t read them. The sender’s name or number appears briefly on the display when a message is received.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't think it's stupid at all. The only issue I would have is one of privacy. I wouldn't always want my messages read out loud if I have other people in the car. For example... my sister Lilli is riding with me, and someone texts me with something like, what time is Lilli's surprise party? But as a matter of safety, I think it's a very good thing.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it's stupid at all. The only issue I would have is one of privacy. I wouldn't always want my messages read out loud if I have other people in the car. For example... my sister Lilli is riding with me, and someone texts me with something like, what time is Lilli's surprise party? But as a matter of safety, I think it's a very good thing.

Does anybody really ever get truly surprised at those things? ;)

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody really ever get truly surprised at those things? ;)

Yup! We just had two of them within a three week period. It was completely nerve-wracking for everyone involved except for the guest of honor... both of who never saw it coming!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711