BMW’s $80 CarPlay Subscription. What are your thoughts about it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It was widely reported last year that BMW would be requiring an $80 annual subscription fee to use CarPlay starting with its 2019 models. Of course, the first year is free.

With that being said, I have a 2019 BMW 430i Gran Coupe xDrive and I really enjoy using wireless CarPlay.

Currently, BMW charges $300 for CarPlay capabilities so on the surface, I would save $140 over a three year period - year 1 is free and $80 each for years 2 & 3 equates to $160.

Since companies are in the business of offering a product/service at a profit, I’m very skeptical of the alleged $140 savings via BMW’s CarPlay subscription.

What are your thoughts about it?

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My thoughts? I've lost interest in premium cars. It's not like I've become perfect with money as much as love my traveling and fleet of top tier sports toys.

My 88 year old mother asked for help car shopping so we are looking at high end cars. I've not drilled into the monthly fees but it does not look like there are additional fees in a 3 year period for Lexus and Acura. The Acura dealer with a sister store selling BMW and Lexus brought it up as an advantage.

To be honest, checking out the European against the Acura and Lexus seemed like diminishing returns and they all seemed like wasteful spending when I got back in my wife's top tier Toyota or my Outback. Our premium European car has some nice aspects but I wouldn't spend like that again. A friend who loves his BMWs of all ages jokes that you buy his wife's Japanese make minivan if you want an amazing and super reliable vehicle.

It looks like the human assist feature with Lexus is only 3 years, and so far I'm not seeing it in the Acura stuff. I'm not aware of fees with lots of other cars. If you have the brand love some friends have I get it but I would not pay for it.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So some car manufacturers are going to charge to use Carplay?

Um......no. Blank no!

(Laughing)....I know, right? BMW appears to be targeting the people who purchase previously leased vehicles. They provide BMW with annual subscription sales for the life of the car, assuming the owner(s) agree to use CarPlay. Slick indeed!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
(Laughing)....I know, right? BMW appears to be targeting the people who purchase previously leased vehicles. That provides them with annual subscription sales for the life of the car, assuming the owner(s) agree to use CarPlay. Slick indeed!

So BMW is charging for Carplay and not giving any of those funds to ?

Smell that lawsuit?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So BMW is charging for Carplay and not giving any of those funds to ?

Smell that lawsuit?

I don’t know about that. An iMore article states the following:

“Through partnership deals with major manufacturers, CarPlay get embedded in automobile infortainment centers and then syncs over Lightning or Wi-Fi with our iPhones. There's a small licensing fee involved for the technology, but CarPlay is essentially free.”

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.imore.com/bmw-why-apple-should-build-carplay-ios-12?amp

Tpence2177

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
No CarPlay in my 2014 Camry, but if Toyota wanted a subscription to CarPlay, then I wouldn’t do it. If my radio goes out I’ll try and get one that works with CarPlay, but I’m already getting tired of subscriptions of any form.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
It doesn’t bother me either way because I’ll never pay for it. I don’t want my display looking like idevice apps..it’s not very attractive, which is why I keep my 1st screen empty. My F-150 & BMW have it & I never use it. The included navigation & standard Bluetooth work great & I’m pleased.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
It’s annoying to me that BMW even charged the $300 initially but now they have the gall to charge an $80 annual subscription on $40k+ vehicles for CarPlay when auto makers like Chevy and Mazda are including it in vehicles nearly half the cost.

I really want a BMW as my next car but man the 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback is really tempting me with its slick interior and tons of features for $28k versus $45 for a base 3 series. If I do go BMW it would be a used one anyways cause I’m eyeing an M3 or M5

But to answer the question ‘D no I would not pay to use CarPlay that’s ridiculous.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Most people who buy these cars will probably save a little bit like you do, and for those that keep them longer than 3-4 years does $80/yr really matter? If you like it and use it often skip a coffee or two a month and you cover the cost. I like CarPlay so I would pay, but I most likely will not buy a BMW so its not of huge concern to me (M3 is still on my short list for next car, but won't be a new one so this doesn't matter anyway, and it is toward the bottom of my list). You better believe that other companies will take note though and try to figure out the take rate and see if it makes sense to do the same for them as well.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It doesn’t bother me either way because I’ll never pay for it. I don’t want my display looking like idevice apps..it’s not very attractive, which is why I keep my 1st screen empty. My F-150 & BMW have it & I never use it. The included navigation & standard Bluetooth work great & I’m pleased.
I'm with you in regard to CarPlay not being attractive. When I had my Cadi, I would often start one of my Music playlists and then switch over to the built-in music player because I liked the look of it better. In addition, I could always slide the lever to fast forward or rewind with the built-in music player, but not with CarPlay. I still used it a good deal. In my BMW, it's not a gaudy, but l still prefer the look of the native player.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
It’s annoying to me that BMW even charged the $300 initially but now they have the gall to charge an $80 annual subscription on $40k+ vehicles for CarPlay when auto makers like Chevy and Mazda are including it in vehicles nearly half the cost.

I really want a BMW as my next car but man the 2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback is really tempting me with its slick interior and tons of features for $28k versus $45 for a base 3 series. If I do go BMW it would be a used one anyways cause I’m eyeing an M3 or M5

But to answer the question ‘D no I would not pay to use CarPlay that’s ridiculous.

The car shopping I'm doing with a family member is a reminder of the diminishing returns as you spend and why I'm so much happier moving from premium cars to a premium homes.

The shopping last weekend revealed how competitive the Japanese makes were with the Germans. Then was the wake up call that most of them are still driving the underpinnings of more basic Honda, Toyota and VW cars. About 20 years ago driving a BMW sedan with a manual transmission or M3 was (sure seemed) more of a standout experience.

A friend teases that our neighborhood and municipality is a bit like a designer label. That's not silly if I compare it to cars. Each of the high end cars I've had for decades was just accelerating how much and how fast I threw away money. Selling the house we bought after selling high end cars would be a near 6 figure gain.

:)

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The car shopping I'm doing with a family member is a reminder of the diminishing returns as you spend and why I'm so much happier moving from premium cars to a premium homes.

The shopping last weekend revealed how competitive the Japanese makes were with the Germans. Then was the wake up call that most of them are still driving the underpinnings of more basic Honda, Toyota and VW cars. About 20 years ago driving a BMW sedan with a manual transmission or M3 was (sure seemed) more of a standout experience.

A friend teases that our neighborhood and municipality is a bit like a designer label. That's not silly if I compare it to cars. Each of the high end cars I've had for decades was just accelerating how much and how fast I threw away money. Selling the house we bought after selling high end cars would be a near 6 figure gain.

:)

LOL yeah I mean I’m really also contemplating getting a 2019 Mazda 3 cause the interior is seriously competitive with the luxury brands.

I currently own a Mazda 3 and it’s been amazing. I’ve always wanted a BMW but after owning a VW Golf and the maintenance costs were ridiculous it’s giving me pause.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Was the this only in effect for ‘19 and ‘20 cars? Was CarPlay free in ‘17 and ‘18 models? Seems like BS to me but at least they change of heart even if it was because of pressure

For those who currently have 2019 or 2020 models, a $300 CarPlay fee will be required in order to continue using CarPlay. I flat out refuse to pay it. They should just suck it up, provide those owners with CarPlay free of charge, in my opinion.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711