CarPlay mirroring

benjarmush

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
Is there a way to de-activate mirroring on CarPlay?

Say I want to use Waze (before it is CarPlay supported later this fall), on the screen of my iPhone 8 and in the same time on my CarPlay having Spotify running.

From my experience, this doesn’t work. If I hit the Spotify controls on my carplay display, it will also jump to Spotify on my iPhone‘s screen and then leave Waze. If I hit back the Waze icon on my iPhone, I will have the home menu appearing on my CarPlay display. Of course, music keeps on running but you loose all controls and informations of the currently played songs. Also, whenever you hit the home button on the iPhone, it’s like hitting the home button on the CarPlay display. It jumps back to the main menu on both screens. Very annoying.

Of course, that problem « might » be solved when iOS 12 and third-parties navigation apps will be CarPlay compatibles. But what about the other apps? Does it mean that you can not use unsupported CarPlay apps on your iPhone without interfering the CarPlay display?

Any feedback welcomed, Thx!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to de-activate mirroring on CarPlay?

Say I want to use Waze (before it is CarPlay supported later this fall), on the screen of my iPhone 8 and in the same time on my CarPlay having Spotify running.

From my experience, this doesn’t work. If I hit the Spotify controls on my carplay display, it will also jump to Spotify on my iPhone‘s screen and then leave Waze. If I hit back the Waze icon on my iPhone, I will have the home menu appearing on my CarPlay display. Of course, music keeps on running but you loose all controls and informations of the currently played songs. Also, whenever you hit the home button on the iPhone, it’s like hitting the home button on the CarPlay display. It jumps back to the main menu on both screens. Very annoying.

Of course, that problem « might » be solved when iOS 12 and third-parties navigation apps will be CarPlay compatibles. But what about the other apps? Does it mean that you can not use unsupported CarPlay apps on your iPhone without interfering the CarPlay display?

Any feedback welcomed, Thx!

Nope, this is not possible. And for good reason, because CarPlay is there to make sure you don’t need your iPhone while driving. Supporting what you want comes with great legal issues and may be misused by people to try to gain some quick money by suing Apple.

Doesn’t your CarPlay unit have hardware buttons to control and pause music?

benjarmush

Aug 19, 2018
Visit site
It makes sense. Though it is annoying... ;-)
Thanks for your reply.

And yes, I have hardware controls of course but like I said, it’s sad to loose access to the infos of the songs and details etc... each time you are using Waze. I hope iOS12 and Waze compatibility will solve that.
Have a great day.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It makes sense. Though it is annoying... ;-)
Thanks for your reply.

And yes, I have hardware controls of course but like I said, it’s sad to loose access to the infos of the songs and details etc... each time you are using Waze. I hope iOS12 and Waze compatibility will solve that.
Have a great day.

I have an iPhone 7 Plus and an AirVent holder for my iPhone. For fun I’ve put my iPhone 7 in front of a CarPlay unit in a friends car and saw that it only mattered a few inch.
That’s when I realized that I wouldn’t even bother opting for a CarPlay enabled car if I ever got a car.
It would be nice to have, but not a must.

I hope feature updates to CarPlay and iOS may make possible what you want.

nexs

Oct 13, 2018
Visit site
Its funny cause on my iphone 7 running ios 12.1 i can run waze and any other app like spotify and no problem at all but with iphone xs running same ios 12.1 it disconnects from car system when playing both apps ( I don’t have car play i have a mirror link box to mirror my iphone to my car screen)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234