Ford Sync 3 users

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Anyone using a Ford Sync 3 system have issues with 3rd party apps freezing in CarPlay? iheartradio will let me select a station, play a song and the screen will freeze before the songs over. I cant get back to the station list, pause, etc. the screen is frozen. I can get back to the home screen with the home button but the now playing screen is useless. If I disconnect and reconnect it works again but freezes before another song finishes.

Ive tried 2 iPhone X’s, 3 genuine Apple cables and turned off bluetooth. Ive done half a dozen factory resets on both my phone and the Sync 3 unit.

Ive reverted back to tethering my Note 8 to my iphone and using Android Auto but Id rather CarPlay just work.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Update in case anyone reads this forum:

Last night, testing in my garage, nothing froze for almost 20 minutes. This morning I start driving and within 1 song it froze. I disconnected and reconnected and it froze again. Disconnect and reconnect and this time use Apple Music. Apple Music continues to play fine and not freeze for 10 or so minutes. I try to switch over to iheartradio and it wont even open the app on the screen. Disconnect and reconnect and I can open the app and play a station. Within the first song we freeze again. Get to work, park the car and disconnect and reconnect again. This time I open iheartradio, select a station and it plays perfectly. Sit outside for a good 15 minutes and cant make it freeze.

So its only while Im driving that it freezes.

May have to make a trip to ford and test out one of their vehicles.

Grokr

Apr 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

Did you ever figure out the problem. I have the same problem with 3rd party music apps freezing. iheartradio, pandora, spotify, tunein radio all freeze.
I have an iPhone 8 plus with iOs 11.3.
I have a 2017 Nissan Murano.

Thanks.

Anyone using a Ford Sync 3 system have issues with 3rd party apps freezing in CarPlay? iheartradio will let me select a station, play a song and the screen will freeze before the songs over. I cant get back to the station list, pause, etc. the screen is frozen. I can get back to the home screen with the home button but the now playing screen is useless. If I disconnect and reconnect it works again but freezes before another song finishes.

Ive tried 2 iPhone X’s, 3 genuine Apple cables and turned off bluetooth. Ive done half a dozen factory resets on both my phone and the Sync 3 unit.

Ive reverted back to tethering my Note 8 to my iphone and using Android Auto but Id rather CarPlay just work.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Did you ever figure out the problem. I have the same problem with 3rd party music apps freezing. iheartradio, pandora, spotify, tunein radio all freeze.
I have an iPhone 8 plus with iOs 11.3.
I have a 2017 Nissan Murano.

Thanks.

Never really figured it out. Its gotten better with a few updates to iheartradio as well as Ford pushing a big update a couple weeks ago, however it still happens.

What Ive narrowed it down to is calls and messages seem to make it freeze. If I make a drive with no messages or calls then it works perfectly. After hearing and replying to a message, things freeze and I have to unplug the phone and plug it back in. Calls do the same thing but not all the time.

A new problem is 3rd party apps loading to a black screen. I have to unplug then force quit the app on my phone and plug it back in. Most of the times this works but not always.

CarPlay is still pretty buggy imo and for the most part Im still using Android Auto over it.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Tried Carplay again today and its gotten even worse than before. Sometimes it works but most times 3rd party apps load to a black screen. Music will also stop ever few seconds once I do get it running.

Something very wrong with Carplay.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
Final update on this. Yesterday I was out looking at new cars and while test driving them I tried carplay. In every single vehicle, from chevy and ford, the exact same issue happened with freezing on 3rd party apps.

Ive sent in a message to apple.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Final update on this. Yesterday I was out looking at new cars and while test driving them I tried carplay. In every single vehicle, from chevy and ford, the exact same issue happened with freezing on 3rd party apps.

Ive sent in a message to apple.

That’s really odd. My Truck (2018 RAM 1500) has CarPlay and I rarely have an issue with it. I use Amazon Music, Pandora, Pocket Casts, and Audible most often and they work fine with an occasional hiccup that usually works itself out after a few seconds.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
That’s really odd. My Truck (2018 RAM 1500) has CarPlay and I rarely have an issue with it. I use Amazon Music, Pandora, Pocket Casts, and Audible most often and they work fine with an occasional hiccup that usually works itself out after a few seconds.

Thats interesting to hear. I thought originally it was a bad update through ford in my 2016 but then it happened in chevy I test drove yesterday. Ive seen a few reports of it happening on honda as well but I dont believe Ive seen it on dodge. I ended up getting a 2018 ford hoping the new sync connect system would have it ironed out but its still there as well.

It sucks because I would much rather use carplay but the instability kills me. Once it freezes you can try to unplug and reconnect but sometimes that results in a black screen for 3rd party apps and it wont go away until you shut the car off.

Question, does pandora ever lock up on screen but keep playing music? Meaning the controls to change stations etc dont respond?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Same here. CarPlay works well in my car, even with apps like Pandora and iHeart Radio. No problems at all.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Question, does pandora ever lock up on screen but keep playing music? Meaning the controls to change stations etc dont respond?

I haven’t experienced that but I don’t use Pandora all that often since I pay for Amazon Music Unlimited.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit