Any other CarPlay users out there!?

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
2012 honda accord here. Considering a new head unit with Carplay but haven't decided yet.

I like the Kenwood unit I have in my Suburban. It is the DNX693S (last year's model). The new ones have a little bigger screen. This is my 3rd Kenwood unit, and I upgraded to this one, just for the CarPlay. With the updates to iOS I have seen many issues go away. I had some issues when iOS 11 first came out (random freezing, restarting, etc.), but now it is very reliable.

Actually the one I have came out of an Accord, and I still have the install kit, wiring, mounting frame, etc. Let me know if you want it, you can have it for the cost of shipping. I was just about to throw it away, but for some reason I didn't. I can get the numbers off it, and check it for you if you interested, but I think it was around the same year.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hyundai owner here. But contrary to majority of you I really HATE CarPlay, one of the worst services Apple has ever made.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Care to elaborate?

Of course not. It don't have option to use my daily driver apps, which is basically a mess when you spend much of your time on traffic on a metropolis. Because of this I have to actually take my phone as usual, which is not good. Siri on AppleCar is not the same that I have on iPhone. Siri on iPhone is bad, almost unusable on my home language (Portuguese) to be even worse in AppleCar absolutely don't help. Last but not least, to not be able to use a single GPS app on it is just a misery inexcusable. Even in US only the poor Apple Maps can be used, here in Brazil even this silly app isn't an option. This way CarPlay turn yourself just unusable for me, really don't have any utility here. Sum to that the need to actually plug your phone to your car via cable, which turn your hack a mess, and I really consider CarPlay the worst service Apple has ever launched. To simply listen my Spotify songs or to use Siri (which are the only functions I can use here) I prefer to just pair my iPhone to BT system and use my Apple Watch instead. Much easier and don't turn my car a mess of cables.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
What are the daily driver apps that you can't use?

I agree that the limitation of navigation apps to only Apple Maps is very limiting and something that should be addressed, but 95% of the audio apps that I use are available and work well on CarPlay (Spotify, Pocket Casts, MLB At Bat, Amazon Music to name a few), and for that I'm thankful.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't think CarPlay have to be limited only to audio apps. If it was the case I, again, am best served pairing my iPhone with the BT system and controlling it with my Apple Watch.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to not use it or to believe it won't serve you well. I'm just answering your question and explaining why FOR MY NEEDS it is, by far, the worst product Apple has ever made. And I use Apple for more than a decade now...

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I think Apple and your local traffic authority will disagree with you. Your intended use is a liability to Apple and if not illegal, unsafe. Your use is not what the platform is made for and if you expect it to be anything other than audio or navigation you will continue to be disappointed.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hm. Audio: check. Navigation: not checked. And that multimedia system screen, let's take off, so. Man, continue to use if you are happy. I obviously don't have any intention to convince a fanboy that Apple has ever made any sh*t service or product. Poor me if it was my aim... Cheers.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Haha definitely not a fan boy. I was a diehard Windows Phone user, but I saw that was ending so I chose Apple as the lesser of two evils.

I agree with you that Navigation is lacking/limited even here in the US, and clearly even further lacking where you are. The only disagreement I have is that you think you should be able to use any app at all on the screen in your car. That's definitely not safe, and definitely will not be happening. Now maybe if they incorporated something into the software where you could only use it when the car wasn't moving, that would be ok, but I would have to assume that is something that very few people would be interested in, and thus not worth their development time. Even Android Auto, which is not as restrictive, does not allow you to use any app on the car screen, only the apps which are "safe" to use in the car.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Ok, now I agree with you. But I don't want to use any app on CarPlay, only that one's which would be useful in a driving environment. GPS navigation is the most important for me.

Cheers

mpdifranco

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
I've installed an aftermarket CarPlay radio unit in my Evo X. Before that I was using an cellular iPad mini on an integrated mount for music and directions (which was awesome), but it became too much work bringing the iPad in and out whenever I went for a drive. (I live in Canada where it gets quite chilly in the winter, so I can't leave it in the car). CarPlay was exactly what I was looking for.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Waze is Google so you can forget about that.
What I dont like about CarPlay is that it still fails to dictate incoming texts 90% of the time.

brodomski

Mar 27, 2018
Visit site
Hey all! Recently had a CarPlay compatible CarPlay deck installed in my truck... wondering if there are any others around here (looks like it!) that have vast CarPlay experience? Would love to talk more about it and perhaps start up some really helpful guides and tutorials!

I'm sure there are common problems and tips we can offer... just searching for some CarPlay users here. If that's you, raise your hand!

I have CarPlay on my 2017 Subaru Impreza. There were a few annoying bugs when I received the car a year ago but it seems those have been worked out through random telematic updates.

I actually ended up buying a used Nexus 5 to try out Android Auto and Waze, which seemed to have even more issues that have not been fixed through the telematic updates. Sticking with CarPlay for now...

bruce100458

May 8, 2018
Visit site
I have a Kenwood Navigation head in my X5 and use carplay on my iPhone 6s. I have had frequent disconnects with a message on the Kenwood saying "Standby" and have to disconnect and then reconnect the cable to fix the issue. I have replaced the cable & am using an Apple cable but the problem persists. I have not updated the Kenwood firmware BUT as my iphone has updatd the problem has gotten worse & worse. Finally today the Carplay icon disappeared from the Kenwood & I can not get it back. My iphone is up to 11. When Carplay works I love it but these disconnects & the problem I have today make me want to throw both away...

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a Kenwood Navigation head in my X5 and use carplay on my iPhone 6s. I have had frequent disconnects with a message on the Kenwood saying "Standby" and have to disconnect and then reconnect the cable to fix the issue. I have replaced the cable & am using an Apple cable but the problem persists. I have not updated the Kenwood firmware BUT as my iphone has updatd the problem has gotten worse & worse. Finally today the Carplay icon disappeared from the Kenwood & I can not get it back. My iphone is up to 11. When Carplay works I love it but these disconnects & the problem I have today make me want to throw both away...

Have a Kenwood in my truck too (DNX693S) and I get similar issues every now and then (disconnect and goes to standby but then reconnects automatically). I believe mine is updated to the latest firmware, but even that isn't that new, I think it is dated 7/17.

I'm hoping they have another update, but sadly I'm not holding my breath. Not exactly the kind of support you would hope for when shelling out hundreds of $ for a car stereo. The customer service is pretty responsive if you have questions though, so I might ask about any further updates.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Have a Kenwood in my truck too (DNX693S) and I get similar issues every now and then (disconnect and goes to standby but then reconnects automatically). I believe mine is updated to the latest firmware, but even that isn't that new, I think it is dated 7/17.

I'm hoping they have another update, but sadly I'm not holding my breath. Not exactly the kind of support you would hope for when shelling out hundreds of $ for a car stereo. The customer service is pretty responsive if you have questions though, so I might ask about any further updates.

Check you firmware version. I thought I had the most recent but there was actually a newer version for mine. I installed it and have not had any freezes since.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I would love to have Carplay in my new car arriving this week, but alas Toyota hasn't seen fit to offer it. They are rolling it out on a few new models, but not the LC200 :0 and so far the aftermarket side is well non-existent for my vehicle and given the integrated climate control via the touch screen I likely never will be able to. The closest I will get is iPhone Mirroring with BeatSonic.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal