@juststart - well that would be frustrating. Wish I could help, I haven't experienced those issues on my side
    no worries! it's a great feature when it works!
    02-15-2017 09:51 AM
    I have it in my 2017 escape. Only time I use it, it's for maps and it's not very often. I don't like to have my phone plugged in if I don't have to, and I prefer the sync3 interface.
    03-14-2017 07:56 PM
    Hi all,

I am new to iPhone, and one the reasons I wanted to get an iPhone was for CarPlay. But now that I am reading more about it, it appears the functionality is not quite there. The biggest issue is Apple restricting 3rd party maps apps from using it. But beyond that, none of the apps I need are supported, so CarPlay is more or less useless to me.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to make this a viable feature that people can actually use?
    03-16-2017 10:31 AM
    I love using CarPlay in my new truck. Apple Maps works well. (Yes, I would have preferred Google Maps capability, but Apple Maps works fine.) Messaging (iMessage and Text Messages) works great both receiving (it reads the messages if you desire) and sending (Siri is available via voice control).

Siiri is also available and will answer questions. I haven't tested that a lot, but for example, I asked Siri what time was sunset, and it answered.

In addition, Podcasts, AudioBooks and Music work from my iPhone.

Sometimes I would rather not have to plug my phone in for CarPlay to work, but this has actually come in handy when I didn't want to be bothered by Messages over the truck audio, I just unplugged my phone from the truck.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-16-2017 06:21 PM
    I love using CarPlay in my new truck. Apple Maps works well. (Yes, I would have preferred Google Maps capability, but Apple Maps works fine.) Messaging (iMessage and Text Messages) works great both receiving (it reads the messages if you desire) and sending (Siri is available via voice control).

Siiri is also available and will answer questions. I haven't tested that a lot, but for example, I asked Siri what time was sunset, and it answered.

In addition, Podcasts, AudioBooks and Music work from my iPhone.

Sometimes I would rather not have to plug my phone in for CarPlay to work, but this has actually come in handy when I didn't want to be bothered by Messages over the truck audio, I just unplugged my phone from the truck.
    That is my one gripe with CarPlay - you must be plugged. I wish it worked wirelessly.
    SwitchBeach likes this.
    03-16-2017 07:09 PM
    That is my one gripe with CarPlay - you must be plugged. I wish it worked wirelessly.
    Yes, I agree for the most part. I wonder if it's a limitation of bandwidth via Bluetooth or just Apple being "Apple".

But overall (even though I thought it would bother me more), plugging in hasn't been a big deal (or drawback) to me thus far.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-16-2017 08:01 PM
    Yes, I agree for the most part. I wonder if it's a limitation of bandwidth via Bluetooth or just Apple being "Apple".

But overall (even though I thought it would bother me more), plugging in hasn't been a big deal (or drawback) to me thus far.
    I agree....
    03-16-2017 08:06 PM
    I LOVE CARPLAY! I still use Google Maps, but Spotify and Podcasts are so amazing. And the call clarity is excellent!
    03-16-2017 11:23 PM
    This is dependent on implementation of the entertainment system. My new vehicle came with CarPlay that works as long as WIFI is enabled. It looks like older implementations required the physical plug.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    03-20-2017 09:57 AM
    @Fable @Just_Me_D - Agreed... wish mine was wireless as well. Have to plug in. Will have to check out some of the newer units!!
    Fable likes this.
    03-21-2017 03:52 PM
    @Fable @Just_Me_D - Agreed... wish mine was wireless as well. Have to plug in. Will have to check out some of the newer units!!
    As stated by Switchbeach, plugging it in isn't bad, especially being that I have outlets all over the place in my car......Still, wireless CarPlay would be great, in my opinion.
    Fable likes this.
    03-21-2017 04:43 PM
    I just bought a new VW Atlas. Was hoping for wireless Carplay. Just got rid of a Aidi Q7 and carplay is mutch better with a touch screen that with knobs. Another small detail, on the q7, when carplay was active, the phone button on thensteering wheel didnt work. On the atrals, it does.... weird.
    08-29-2017 05:57 AM
    I've got a new truck and it has CarPlay. Mostly use it for navigation.
    Put me down for another user that doesn't like it has to be plugged in to use it.
    09-23-2017 07:49 PM
    Another gripe about CarPlay. I LOVE the Do Not Disturb While Driving feature, but it's only active if the car is connected to bluetooth. If I connect to CarPlay, everything is fair game again. Boooooo.
    09-26-2017 04:57 PM
    Lovin' my CarPlay in my 2018 Acura A-SPEC Still Night Pearl/REDAny other CarPlay users out there!?-new-car-pick-up.jpg
    just wish Waze was available
    apple maps is generally ok, but Waze is more detailed, & specific
    02-16-2018 11:39 AM
    I agree. I'm not holding my breath for Waze though.
    02-16-2018 11:48 AM
    Lovin' my CarPlay in my 2018 Acura A-SPEC Still Night Pearl/REDClick image for larger version. 

Name:	New car pick-up.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	122360
    just wish Waze was available
    apple maps is generally ok, but Waze is more detailed, & specific
    Pretty car. I really wish they offered a HUD in the TLX.
    02-16-2018 06:55 PM
    2012 honda accord here. Considering a new head unit with Carplay but haven't decided yet.
    02-17-2018 11:07 AM
    2012 honda accord here. Considering a new head unit with Carplay but haven't decided yet.
    I like the Kenwood unit I have in my Suburban. It is the DNX693S (last year's model). The new ones have a little bigger screen. This is my 3rd Kenwood unit, and I upgraded to this one, just for the CarPlay. With the updates to iOS I have seen many issues go away. I had some issues when iOS 11 first came out (random freezing, restarting, etc.), but now it is very reliable.

Actually the one I have came out of an Accord, and I still have the install kit, wiring, mounting frame, etc. Let me know if you want it, you can have it for the cost of shipping. I was just about to throw it away, but for some reason I didn't. I can get the numbers off it, and check it for you if you interested, but I think it was around the same year.
    02-19-2018 01:54 PM
    Hyundai owner here. But contrary to majority of you I really HATE CarPlay, one of the worst services Apple has ever made.
    02-19-2018 02:53 PM
    Hyundai owner here. But contrary to majority of you I really HATE CarPlay, one of the worst services Apple has ever made.
    Care to elaborate?
    02-20-2018 10:09 AM
    Care to elaborate?
    Of course not. It don't have option to use my daily driver apps, which is basically a mess when you spend much of your time on traffic on a metropolis. Because of this I have to actually take my phone as usual, which is not good. Siri on AppleCar is not the same that I have on iPhone. Siri on iPhone is bad, almost unusable on my home language (Portuguese) to be even worse in AppleCar absolutely don't help. Last but not least, to not be able to use a single GPS app on it is just a misery inexcusable. Even in US only the poor Apple Maps can be used, here in Brazil even this silly app isn't an option. This way CarPlay turn yourself just unusable for me, really don't have any utility here. Sum to that the need to actually plug your phone to your car via cable, which turn your hack a mess, and I really consider CarPlay the worst service Apple has ever launched. To simply listen my Spotify songs or to use Siri (which are the only functions I can use here) I prefer to just pair my iPhone to BT system and use my Apple Watch instead. Much easier and don't turn my car a mess of cables.
    02-21-2018 04:17 AM
    What are the daily driver apps that you can't use?

I agree that the limitation of navigation apps to only Apple Maps is very limiting and something that should be addressed, but 95% of the audio apps that I use are available and work well on CarPlay (Spotify, Pocket Casts, MLB At Bat, Amazon Music to name a few), and for that I'm thankful.
    02-21-2018 02:55 PM
    I don't think CarPlay have to be limited only to audio apps. If it was the case I, again, am best served pairing my iPhone with the BT system and controlling it with my Apple Watch.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone to not use it or to believe it won't serve you well. I'm just answering your question and explaining why FOR MY NEEDS it is, by far, the worst product Apple has ever made. And I use Apple for more than a decade now...
    02-22-2018 09:30 AM
    I think Apple and your local traffic authority will disagree with you. Your intended use is a liability to Apple and if not illegal, unsafe. Your use is not what the platform is made for and if you expect it to be anything other than audio or navigation you will continue to be disappointed.
    02-22-2018 11:45 AM
60 123