Any other CarPlay users out there!?

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site

Interesting.. the Main Menu is customized to the make of the car/radio model. I noticed the change and thought I had just missed it previously. Do you use Audible btw? Some of that is covered under my Prime membership.. but selecting some of the books looks like it requires the 60.00 per year option. I will need to do some more research but wondered if you used it.

taeisme

Trusted Member
Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
Interesting.. the Main Menu is customized to the make of the car/radio model. I noticed the change and thought I had just missed it previously. Do you use Audible btw? Some of that is covered under my Prime membership.. but selecting some of the books looks like it requires the 60.00 per year option. I will need to do some more research but wondered if you used it.

I love audible! I love used it for years and have a platinum membership

juststart

Oct 21, 2009
Visit site
I have CarPlay on my 2017 Hyundai Elantra and I've really loved it except after iOS 10 came out. Now, Siri sometimes acts like she's reading a text but is mute. Podcasts and the Audible app also constantly quit and stop playing. It's a bit frustrating since I have to keep going into the app to continue playing audio and for texts, I need to look at my phone which I want to avoid at all costs and why I wanted CarPlay functionality.

The other frustrating bug is that for some reason, if I connect my phone and it's dark out, CarPlay won't turn the navigation to night mode. If it's connected during the day and it turns dark or I go in a tunnel, it will turn on night mode.

cliro

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have it in my 2017 escape. Only time I use it, it's for maps and it's not very often. I don't like to have my phone plugged in if I don't have to, and I prefer the sync3 interface.

Dusteater

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to iPhone, and one the reasons I wanted to get an iPhone was for CarPlay. But now that I am reading more about it, it appears the functionality is not quite there. The biggest issue is Apple restricting 3rd party maps apps from using it. But beyond that, none of the apps I need are supported, so CarPlay is more or less useless to me.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to make this a viable feature that people can actually use?

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I love using CarPlay in my new truck. Apple Maps works well. (Yes, I would have preferred Google Maps capability, but Apple Maps works fine.) Messaging (iMessage and Text Messages) works great both receiving (it reads the messages if you desire) and sending (Siri is available via voice control).

Siiri is also available and will answer questions. I haven't tested that a lot, but for example, I asked Siri what time was sunset, and it answered.

In addition, Podcasts, AudioBooks and Music work from my iPhone.

Sometimes I would rather not have to plug my phone in for CarPlay to work, but this has actually come in handy when I didn't want to be bothered by Messages over the truck audio, I just unplugged my phone from the truck.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I love using CarPlay in my new truck. Apple Maps works well. (Yes, I would have preferred Google Maps capability, but Apple Maps works fine.) Messaging (iMessage and Text Messages) works great both receiving (it reads the messages if you desire) and sending (Siri is available via voice control).

Siiri is also available and will answer questions. I haven't tested that a lot, but for example, I asked Siri what time was sunset, and it answered.

In addition, Podcasts, AudioBooks and Music work from my iPhone.

Sometimes I would rather not have to plug my phone in for CarPlay to work, but this has actually come in handy when I didn't want to be bothered by Messages over the truck audio, I just unplugged my phone from the truck.

That is my one gripe with CarPlay - you must be plugged. I wish it worked wirelessly.

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
That is my one gripe with CarPlay - you must be plugged. I wish it worked wirelessly.

Yes, I agree for the most part. I wonder if it's a limitation of bandwidth via Bluetooth or just Apple being "Apple".

But overall (even though I thought it would bother me more), plugging in hasn't been a big deal (or drawback) to me thus far.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I agree for the most part. I wonder if it's a limitation of bandwidth via Bluetooth or just Apple being "Apple".

But overall (even though I thought it would bother me more), plugging in hasn't been a big deal (or drawback) to me thus far.

I agree....

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site

This is dependent on implementation of the entertainment system. My new vehicle came with CarPlay that works as long as WIFI is enabled. It looks like older implementations required the physical plug.

nroldan83

Jan 6, 2009
Visit site
I just bought a new VW Atlas. Was hoping for wireless Carplay. Just got rid of a Aidi Q7 and carplay is mutch better with a touch screen that with knobs. Another small detail, on the q7, when carplay was active, the phone button on thensteering wheel didnt work. On the atrals, it does.... weird.

Blackcash

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I've got a new truck and it has CarPlay. Mostly use it for navigation.
Put me down for another user that doesn't like it has to be plugged in to use it.

Crown R0yal

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Another gripe about CarPlay. I LOVE the Do Not Disturb While Driving feature, but it's only active if the car is connected to bluetooth. If I connect to CarPlay, everything is fair game again. Boooooo.

CPR

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Lovin' my CarPlay in my 2018 Acura A-SPEC Still Night Pearl/REDNew car pick-up.JPG
just wish Waze was available
apple maps is generally ok, but Waze is more detailed, & specific

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh