Do you think Apple will make a CarPlay app for iPhones?

Nocticis

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I have an Android phone and recently they released Android Auto on the Google Play store, for people with older cars.

My question is, being mainly an iOS user, do you think Apple will make a CarPlay app for iPhones?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: CarPlay iOS ***

It's built in to the OS so it works when the vehicle's systems support CarPlay... no app needed.

Nocticis

May 13, 2015
Visit site

Right.
So is Android, but they've also made an app version, when customers don't have cars that supports Android Auto or CarPlay.
It would cool to see a physical app for CarPlay, so my 2014 car, who doesn't have that feature, can do the same thing as cars who have that feature.

earthpilot

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

No I don't think Apple will especially since the app you are talking about for Android is really not that great and uses a lot of user input.

muchmaligned

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I think your best bet is to buy an aftermarket CarPlay head unit - they're sub-400 from Alpine or Panasonic - I have an Alpine ILS-007 in an older car and it all works superbly well.

There are some apps which make the UI look a bit bigger (EasyCar) and stuff, but the functionality is lacking and you have to fiddle with the (relatively small) iPhone constantly (as per the Android version also)