Has anyone else had a problem with CarPlay constantly disconnecting?

MoeRah

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: CarPlay Keeps Disconnecting

You may have already done this. However the lightning cord has to be an apple product. It cannot be any other brand.

larrysf150

May 17, 2017
Visit site

I had same problem with Sync3 in my 2016 Ford F150 using iPhone 6plus with IOS 10.2.3
i can disconnect positive battery cable foe 5 minutes. It causes radio to do a hard reset. reconnect cable, crank up and you are good to go. everything works fine. but what causes this and what is Ford doing about it?

R Robertson

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site

I'm having a similar problem with my Pioneer 4200 NEX with a 6S Plus iPhone. All firmware an iOS up to date. It connects via Carplay for a short duration, usually about 5 minutes, then crashes. Hands off to Bluetooth which continues to play whatever program was running at the time of the crash. The head unit was installed with a USB cable with a female connector, as I wasn't sure what kind of phone I was going to get. (Unit runs Android Auto as well.) Next week I will have the cable swapped out to a certified Apple brand USB to Lightning cable and report back.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
CarPlay Keeps Disconnecting

I'm thinking it's more of a iOS issue not hardware. The disconnecting seems to be really bad with iOS 10. Because my brother has a iPhone 7 and it happens to him as well which has better hardware then my phone.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

I found on my Kenwood unit that I was having the same issue. I deleted the headunit from bluetooth and that helped a lot, barely had any issues. Then I found there was a firmware update for the headunit, and I haven't had any issues since I performed the update. I haven't tried to reconnect bluetooth to check if that is still an issue, but will do so over the next week.

Something to try if you are having disconnect/crashing issues, remove unit from bluetooth and only use CarPlay.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site

Same issue on 8100 NEX. It's a carplay issue itself. Otherwise head unit works fine.

I'm having a similar problem with my Pioneer 4200 NEX with a 6S Plus iPhone. All firmware an iOS up to date. It connects via Carplay for a short duration, usually about 5 minutes, then crashes. Hands off to Bluetooth which continues to play whatever program was running at the time of the crash. The head unit was installed with a USB cable with a female connector, as I wasn't sure what kind of phone I was going to get. (Unit runs Android Auto as well.) Next week I will have the cable swapped out to a certified Apple brand USB to Lightning cable and report back.

R Robertson

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site

R Robertson

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site

Reporting back as promised. After a false start (cable replaced in the wrong USB port, at the suggestion of the installer. Use the USB port 1 only for Carplay), changing out the cable was a success. I guess the connection to the USB extension didn't allow the proper communication between the phone and the head unit. It's been a week and no crashes. Used an Apple brand certified lightning cable, as you would get with your phone. I'm using a slightly longer one, 1 meter in length. My theory, like others, was that it was a software problem, maybe a fight with Bluetooth. It wasn't.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site

Reporting back as promised. After a false start (cable replaced in the wrong USB port, at the suggestion of the installer. Use the USB port 1 only for Carplay), changing out the cable was a success. I guess the connection to the USB extension didn't allow the proper communication between the phone and the head unit. It's been a week and no crashes. Used an Apple brand certified lightning cable, as you would get with your phone. I'm using a slightly longer one, 1 meter in length. My theory, like others, was that it was a software problem, maybe a fight with Bluetooth. It wasn't.

So do you have the cable directly plugged into the unit?
Because the way they hooked mine up is a USB to USB cable which goes into my center console armrest and they I have a normal lightning cable hooked into it.
If a direct hook up is possible, like yours, might solve my problem as well.

R Robertson

Jun 8, 2017
Visit site
Good luck! Not sure of your circumstances, but my unit was installed by Best Buy. The installer apparently wasn't up to speed on this Pioneer model, or maybe the CarPlay aspect. This was my last shot before returning the unit, which would have been a pain. I was very relieved when it worked out. Props to phone support at Pioneer for giving me the suggestion.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Good luck! Not sure of your circumstances, but my unit was installed by Best Buy. The installer apparently wasn't up to speed on this Pioneer model, or maybe the CarPlay aspect. This was my last shot before returning the unit, which would have been a pain. I was very relieved when it worked out. Props to phone support at Pioneer for giving me the suggestion.

Sounds exactly like me.
Best Buy did mine and the installer couldn't get it to work and was telling me he's had nothing both trouble getting these units to work and I eventually asked him if he had it plugged into the right USB and he didn't of course.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE

So I switched out the cables with a authentic apple cable. Seemed to be working, used it since last week with no disconnects but today it did disconnect out of the blue, took me by surprise because it's almost been a week since it's happen.
So I'm at a total lose why it happens.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
That is very odd. I use an Amazon Basics cable plugged directly into the harness of my Kenwood unit, and now that I don't have the phone linked at all except for CarPlay, I have had zero issues, even with using it continuously for two 7 hour drives.

matt3166

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
That is very odd. I use an Amazon Basics cable plugged directly into the harness of my Kenwood unit, and now that I don't have the phone linked at all except for CarPlay, I have had zero issues, even with using it continuously for two 7 hour drives.

Do you have Bluetooth enabled as well?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else had a problem with CarPlay constantly disconnecting that they've been able to solve?

I drive a 2016 Cadillac CTS and don’t have CarPlay issues at all. Yet, while my car is being serviced, I’m riding around in a 2017 Cadillac XTS, of which I do not like - I think it’s for geezers - and I have nothing but problems with its CUE system. CarPlay shows that it’s connected, shows that it’s playing music, and yet, no audio is heard from the device or from the car’s speakers. I can’t wait for my car to finish being serviced...:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR