Same issue on 8100 NEX. It's a carplay issue itself. Otherwise head unit works fine.

I'm having a similar problem with my Pioneer 4200 NEX with a 6S Plus iPhone. All firmware an iOS up to date. It connects via Carplay for a short duration, usually about 5 minutes, then crashes. Hands off to Bluetooth which continues to play whatever program was running at the time of the crash. The head unit was installed with a USB cable with a female connector, as I wasn't sure what kind of phone I was going to get. (Unit runs Android Auto as well.) Next week I will have the cable swapped out to a certified Apple brand USB to Lightning cable and report back.
    jeff belli slack likes this.
    07-05-2017 10:45 AM
    I'm having a similar problem with my Pioneer 4200 NEX with a 6S Plus iPhone. All firmware an iOS up to date. It connects via Carplay for a short duration, usually about 5 minutes, then crashes. Hands off to Bluetooth which continues to play whatever program was running at the time of the crash. The head unit was installed with a USB cable with a female connector, as I wasn't sure what kind of phone I was going to get. (Unit runs Android Auto as well.) Next week I will have the cable swapped out to a certified Apple brand USB to Lightning cable and report back.
    07-07-2017 02:00 PM
    Reporting back as promised. After a false start (cable replaced in the wrong USB port, at the suggestion of the installer. Use the USB port 1 only for Carplay), changing out the cable was a success. I guess the connection to the USB extension didn't allow the proper communication between the phone and the head unit. It's been a week and no crashes. Used an Apple brand certified lightning cable, as you would get with your phone. I'm using a slightly longer one, 1 meter in length. My theory, like others, was that it was a software problem, maybe a fight with Bluetooth. It wasn't.
    Just_Me_D and matt3166 like this.
    07-07-2017 02:10 PM
    Reporting back as promised. After a false start (cable replaced in the wrong USB port, at the suggestion of the installer. Use the USB port 1 only for Carplay), changing out the cable was a success. I guess the connection to the USB extension didn't allow the proper communication between the phone and the head unit. It's been a week and no crashes. Used an Apple brand certified lightning cable, as you would get with your phone. I'm using a slightly longer one, 1 meter in length. My theory, like others, was that it was a software problem, maybe a fight with Bluetooth. It wasn't.
    So do you have the cable directly plugged into the unit?
    Because the way they hooked mine up is a USB to USB cable which goes into my center console armrest and they I have a normal lightning cable hooked into it.
    If a direct hook up is possible, like yours, might solve my problem as well.
    07-10-2017 03:02 PM
    Yes, a single cable to the back of the unit, into the console area below my dash. Sounds like you have a similar configuration to my original.
    matt3166 likes this.
    07-10-2017 03:08 PM
    Yes, a single cable to the back of the unit, into the console area below my dash. Sounds like you have a similar configuration to my original.
    Great! Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I know what I'm doing this evening.
    07-10-2017 03:20 PM
    Good luck! Not sure of your circumstances, but my unit was installed by Best Buy. The installer apparently wasn't up to speed on this Pioneer model, or maybe the CarPlay aspect. This was my last shot before returning the unit, which would have been a pain. I was very relieved when it worked out. Props to phone support at Pioneer for giving me the suggestion.
    07-10-2017 03:45 PM
    Good luck! Not sure of your circumstances, but my unit was installed by Best Buy. The installer apparently wasn't up to speed on this Pioneer model, or maybe the CarPlay aspect. This was my last shot before returning the unit, which would have been a pain. I was very relieved when it worked out. Props to phone support at Pioneer for giving me the suggestion.
    Sounds exactly like me.
    Best Buy did mine and the installer couldn't get it to work and was telling me he's had nothing both trouble getting these units to work and I eventually asked him if he had it plugged into the right USB and he didn't of course.
    07-10-2017 04:03 PM
    UPDATE

So I switched out the cables with a authentic apple cable. Seemed to be working, used it since last week with no disconnects but today it did disconnect out of the blue, took me by surprise because it's almost been a week since it's happen.
    So I'm at a total lose why it happens.
    07-16-2017 07:38 PM
    That is very odd. I use an Amazon Basics cable plugged directly into the harness of my Kenwood unit, and now that I don't have the phone linked at all except for CarPlay, I have had zero issues, even with using it continuously for two 7 hour drives.
    07-17-2017 12:03 PM
    That is very odd. I use an Amazon Basics cable plugged directly into the harness of my Kenwood unit, and now that I don't have the phone linked at all except for CarPlay, I have had zero issues, even with using it continuously for two 7 hour drives.
    Do you have Bluetooth enabled as well?
    jeff belli slack likes this.
    07-17-2017 03:14 PM
    Do you have Bluetooth enabled as well?
    No bluetooth at all, just Lightning cable. I have bluetooth turned on on the phone, but don't have it synced to the radio.
    07-18-2017 10:49 AM
    No bluetooth at all, just Lightning cable. I have bluetooth turned on on the phone, but don't have it synced to the radio.
    Maybe that's the problem then. It trying to work things out between the cable and Bluetooth
    07-18-2017 01:14 PM
    Has anyone else had a problem with CarPlay constantly disconnecting that they've been able to solve?

I drive a 2016 Cadillac CTS and don’t have CarPlay issues at all. Yet, while my car is being serviced, I’m riding around in a 2017 Cadillac XTS, of which I do not like - I think it’s for geezers - and I have nothing but problems with its CUE system. CarPlay shows that it’s connected, shows that it’s playing music, and yet, no audio is heard from the device or from the car’s speakers. I can’t wait for my car to finish being serviced...
    07-18-2017 01:29 PM
    So it seems like a lot of people are having this issue after updating to iOS 10.
    Here's hoping for iOS 11 for a fix.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
    Last edited by matt3166; 07-22-2017 at 12:15 AM.
    07-21-2017 12:53 PM
    Mine froze again twice on the way to work today. So my theory that without bluetooth connection it works, is not true. Worked for 12 hours, but in 45 minutes this morning it froze 3 times.
    07-24-2017 09:24 AM
    Mine froze again twice on the way to work today. So my theory that without bluetooth connection it works, is not true. Worked for 12 hours, but in 45 minutes this morning it froze 3 times.
    I beg to differ. In ‘my’ car, CarPlay works with or without a Bluetooth connection.
    07-24-2017 10:05 AM
    Yeah others have said that as well. It seemed that for me it worked without issue when Bluetooth wasn't connected, but that proved not to be the case today. I wonder if it is an issue with another app running in memory. Today I had a bunch left open when I was using CarPlay. On my prior trips I force closed everything I wasn't using before hooking it up to the car.

Its a big mystery. Carplay is still not problem free enough for me to tell my wife to just use it for navigating (she uses Nav for everything). Good thing the Kenwood unit still has Garmin built in as well.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    07-24-2017 01:03 PM
    I had virtually no crashes after switching out my cable (as I reported above). However, I upgraded my phone recently to ios 10.3.3, and now the problem of Carplay crashing is back. I may try to revert to ios 10.3.2. Your results may vary, but think hard before doing this upgrade.
    08-08-2017 02:49 PM
    posted earlier in this thread. i have found if I delete the Apple Music app the problem goes away completely. When I install Apple Music and turn on iCloud Music Library the problem returns. Basically if your library is more than 20K songs. Other than deleting apple music/ turning off iCloud music library I haven't found another way to solve. The good news is that I tried the iOS 11 Public Beta with Apple Music installed and didn't have any disconnections.
    R Robertson likes this.
    08-09-2017 01:22 PM
    My Kia NIRO has the same problem, my car dealership thinks it's a problem with the apple carplay software. I think it happens when the 4G drops out regardless of whether the music is downloaded to the iPhone. I understand Apple are going to upgrade the phones to ios11 in September with improved carplay. Let's hope it helps it is definitely very annoying.
    08-15-2017 07:34 AM
    Very useful. I will try this.
    08-17-2017 10:47 AM
    FWIW, Switching back to 10.3.2 worked. Carplay stable as before, although it crashed a couple of times right after I regressed the software. Won't upgrade until ios 11, and then only after I do some research and wait for reports.
    08-22-2017 07:45 PM
    iPhone SE, haven’t had too many issues, initially 10.3.3 and now iOS 11 beta. Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX takes a while to boot up sometimes, occasionally I literally have to reboot the car to get the thing going. I’ve only had the phone fail to start up CarPlay once or twice, rebooted the phone to get it to work. One or two occasions where it disconnected and restarted the phone in the middle of the CarPlay session, would bet it’s an iOS 11 beta thing. Several drives without a hitch, though—a couple of them 2-6 hours
    09-03-2017 12:38 PM
    Had 2 freezes in 6 hours of using my SE on iOS 11 this weekend. Don't think it is any better than it was on 10.3.X.
    09-05-2017 12:39 PM
63 123