just started using CarPlay (new vehicle)...

nitpicks:
    - should work wirelessly (needs to be plugged in)
    - should be a weather app (hopefully this comes eventually)
    - dictated responses for iMessage should show as written before sending (I know, probably never gonna happen due to the safety police)
    - way to resize icons - they stock ones are way too big and limit to eight tiles
    - better way to switch back to radio
    05-18-2017 12:47 PM
    just started using CarPlay (new vehicle)...

nitpicks:
    - should work wirelessly (needs to be plugged in)
    - should be a weather app (hopefully this comes eventually)
    - dictated responses for iMessage should show as written before sending (I know, probably never gonna happen due to the safety police)
    - way to resize icons - they stock ones are way too big and limit to eight tiles
    - better way to switch back to radio
    Your suggestions are spot-on, in my opinion, especially having a Weather option. In addition to that, I don't see a problem having a Calendar option as well. My primary gripe with CarPlay is the super large icons. They are indeed way too big for my tastes....
    05-18-2017 04:00 PM
    I don't like it. I have it in a Honda Accord. It has locked up on me, the voice doesn't work sometimes. I literally had to pull off the side of the road and turn my car off and back on for it to recognize my phone. It randomly plays music when I get off of calls sometimes. Just not a fan right now.
    05-20-2017 07:56 PM
    I've also grown to love Apple Maps. Originally I was appalled that Waze couldn't run in CarPlay mode but this has subsided as the native Apple product has matured.

It's not got quite the traffic updates that Waze or Google maps have, but I don't really rely on that (and find all of them a little hit and miss TBH). Updating an incorrect location is very easy and I got responses to mine within days. Now I find I seldom need to update anything, seems to have a handle on it.

I especially like the find stuff en route feature that allows you to nav to say a cafe within a few miles on your route and in the direction of travel. We've found some really good little stop offs using this feature
    The thing about apple maps for me is that they are so slow to update compared to Waze and google maps. There was a new street added about 4 months ago by me that I travel almost every day. Waze and Google had it updated within a week of it opening but Apple Maps still hasn't updated it.
    05-20-2017 07:59 PM
    I don't like it. I have it in a Honda Accord. It has locked up on me, the voice doesn't work sometimes. I literally had to pull off the side of the road and turn my car off and back on for it to recognize my phone. It randomly plays music when I get off of calls sometimes. Just not a fan right now.
    You may need to have your infotainment center updated or have the software reinstalled at a nearby Honda dealership.
    05-20-2017 09:25 PM
    You may need to have your infotainment center updated or have the software reinstalled at a nearby Honda dealership.
    I'll try that. Maybe it will get better. Yesterday I had my phone plugged in and tried to switch the source to Radio. It was switch over for about 2 seconds and then go right back to the music from my phone
    05-24-2017 10:56 PM
    I'll try that. Maybe it will get better. Yesterday I had my phone plugged in and tried to switch the source to Radio. It was switch over for about 2 seconds and then go right back to the music from my phone
    Yeah, I would definitely get with your dealership. CarPlay, in and of itself, doesn't act like that so it's probably a combination of it and the infotainment software conflicting. Probably needs to be re-flashed or something. Let us know what happens after a trip to your dealership.
    05-25-2017 05:58 AM
    Don't look at Kenwood. I have their "flagship" DNX893S, nothing but audio problems. I use apple music and the bluetooth will for whatever reason drop "pause" the song and you have to go back into the bluetooth mode on the headunit and click play again. Carplay the exact same thing.

Was hoping the 10.1 iOS would fix the glitch nope. I think the issue clearly falls on Kenwood and they're dragging their feet and don't know how to fix it. I am ready to through this $1400 boat anchor into the trash.

I can use a bluetooth speaker at home and stream all day so clearly an issue with Kenwood. Starting to regret buying it as it was delayed almost FIVE months!

Attachment 113430
    Wondering if you ever fixed your issue. I just got the DNX693S and was having similar issues, and found there was an update for the headunit. That along with deleting the Kenwood from my bluetooth and only using the CarPlay connection have gotten rid of all of my issues. Used it for 6 hours over the weekend without issue. Not sure if the bluetooth or firmware was the issue, or maybe the combination of both, but I am very happy with my experience. Might even be able to convince the wife she doesn't need Garmin Nav in the future, and be able to buy cheaper headunits, though I did get a very good deal on the DNX693S.

Also drove my mother in law's new Hyundai Elantra over the weekend (my truck was too tall for the parking garage at the baseball game ), and CarPlay worked great on that interface as well. Used it for Navigation and Spotify.
    07-05-2017 09:11 AM
    The sept 2016 "update" fixes absolutely nothing. Keep in mind the 693S is missing several components and features the 893s has. I can black screen on Carplay or crash it almost daily. Even plugging in the lightning connector you can hear a low audible white hiss. You can't compare a factory carplay head unit from car manufacturers it's a totally different OS/system.

So rather then issue new firmware which they stated is coming since Dec their solution seems to be swap it for a new model. I had TWO - 893S they all had the same software issues, and audio glitches as well as a TON of dust under the screen.

Regardless after Kenwood has fed my a line of BS for 7+ months this is a quote from the National Sales manager in Canada.

"Do you use the HDMI input on your DNX893S?

The reason why I'm asking is I think you deserve the latest and greatest from us which is the DNX994S. There are several small improvements on the DNX994S (Fixed the dust, added a dash cam link, Better audio components, etc) but they decided to remove the HDMI port.

Please let me know if this would be an issue."
    07-05-2017 10:46 AM
    I have installed most recent firmware on my HU. Pioneer 8100 NEX. But still issues randomly. The phone plugged in via cable for car play and it randomly disconnects. It's not the HU as Apple car play crashes on the phone itself.
    07-05-2017 10:50 AM
    I have installed most recent firmware on my HU. Pioneer 8100 NEX. But still issues randomly. The phone plugged in via cable for car play and it randomly disconnects. It's not the HU as Apple car play crashes on the phone itself.
    Do you also have bluetooth connected? I used it for 2 3 hour trips, no crashes when I deleted the headunit from my bluetooth device list.
    07-05-2017 11:47 AM
    No issues with BT at all. Only Carplay when hooked up.
    Do you also have bluetooth connected? I used it for 2 3 hour trips, no crashes when I deleted the headunit from my bluetooth device list.
    07-05-2017 12:00 PM
    That's not what I meant. I found that I had issues with CarPlay freezing on my Kenwood when I had the phone paired with bluetooth to the headunit and then hooked up to CarPlay. When I unpaired them (using "Forget this Device" in bluetooth settings), I no longer had any issues where CarPlay froze.
    07-05-2017 12:11 PM
    That's not what I meant. I found that I had issues with CarPlay freezing on my Kenwood when I had the phone paired with bluetooth to the headunit and then hooked up to CarPlay. When I unpaired them (using "Forget this Device" in bluetooth settings), I no longer had any issues where CarPlay froze.
    Interesting, I will try it a let you know. Thinking on it though it should over ride bluetooth since it's connected by being plugged in.
    07-05-2017 12:30 PM
    I have 2016 Honda Civic and hate it in my car. Honda needs to update software wear or something not the way I would have imagined using it and features
    08-05-2017 09:02 AM
    I have 2016 Honda Civic and hate it in my car. Honda needs to update software wear or something not the way I would have imagined using it and features
    Can you explain what it is you’re experiencing that’s causing you to hate using it?
    08-05-2017 09:32 AM
    ...Thinking on it though it should over ride bluetooth since it's connected by being plugged in.
    That is correct.....At least that’s how it is in my car.
    08-05-2017 09:33 AM
    Can you explain what it is you’re experiencing that’s causing you to hate using it?
    I guess more of a incompatibility issue right now.

When reversing and phone is plugged in, randomly goes to my music library.
    When parked and plugged in go to look at Instagram and it goes to HondaLink or music library.
    I change music source to SiriusXM and doesn't switch from Apple Music.
    When phone is plugged in sometimes try to change AC and it won't work.

So it's appears and I have been told it's Honda software issue with AppleCar play.
    08-05-2017 09:37 AM
    I guess more of a incompatibility issue right now.

When reversing and phone is plugged in, randomly goes to my music library.
    When parked and plugged in go to look at Instagram and it goes to HondaLink or music library.
    I change music source to SiriusXM and doesn't switch from Apple Music.
    When phone is plugged in sometimes try to change AC and it won't work.

So it's appears and I have been told it's Honda software issue with AppleCar play.
    Oh okay, and thank you for the explanation....
    08-05-2017 12:50 PM
    May be a Honda thing. Renting a Hyundai and Apple Car Play works smoothly
    08-08-2017 06:04 PM
    1) It needs to have integration with the car's radio controls and climate controls, even if only through Siri. Changing the radio station while the head unit is showing Maps is just a pain...
    I have buttons on my steering wheel I use to control the radio with maps showing. I'm not sure how the Ford's work since I drive a Chevy truck.
    10-03-2017 10:54 AM
71 123