Apple Books vs Kindle app.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I decided to do an Apple vs Amazon purchase for a book I've wanted to read.

There's no bug or major fault with Books but for my Max phone, I have to admit I like the way Kindle is fills the screen some more. That is a surprise. I was thinking Apple's own app would be ideal for the new Max phone format.

Another surprise is not seeing the usual option to give the app a review. I would not want to flame Apple but would like to give the constructive criticism that Kindle app manages the text better on their own flagship phone.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A few years back, I purchased a few books via the iBook Store, but they ended up being a waste of money ‘for me’. Not because of anything negative in regard to the iBooks app, but because I prefer reading books on my Kindle PaperWhite. ‘For me”, the Kindle provides a better reading experience.

Granted, I’m specifically referring to the actual Kindle vs an iPhone or iPad. Reading via the Kindle app, the Nook app or the iBooks app is basically the same experience “for me”. I can only tolerate it for a period of time before the fatigue from the backlight, regardless of background color, affects my eyes.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
A few years back, I purchased a few books via the iBook Store, but they ended up being a waste of money ‘for me’. Not because of anything negative in regard to the iBooks app, but because I prefer reading books on my Kindle PaperWhite. ‘For me”, the Kindle provides a better reading experience.

Granted, I’m specifically referring to the actual Kindle vs an iPhone or iPad. Reading via the Kindle app, the Nook app or the iBooks app is basically the same experience “for me”. I can only tolerate it for a period of time before the fatigue from the backlight, regardless of background color, affects my eyes.

I understand that but two months with the Max phone and I find myself reading more than ever. When I take a break or lunch it's just there.

What I've noticed is not terrible but there's no doubt the current Kindle app gets more legible text on the display.

One more, I also bought the book from Apple because of family sharing but it is working for all services but the book. I do have an open case with Apple on that.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I understand that but two months with the Max phone and I find myself reading more than ever. When I take a break or lunch it's just there.

What I've noticed is not terrible but there's no doubt the current Kindle app gets more legible text on the display.

One more, I also bought the book from Apple because of family sharing but it is working for all services but the book. I do have an open case with Apple on that.

Keep us posted with regard to the outcome, if you don’t mind.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Keep us posted with regard to the outcome, if you don’t mind.

So far I just got an email response with knowledge base article highlighting everything I've already done - checked Apple IDs, sharing settings etc.... We've rebooted devices. We've tested the sharing works via app store purchases.

I wondered if the sharing is not working because I've just started the book, and have not (yet) seen that in any instructions.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So far I just got an email response with knowledge base article highlighting everything I've already done - checked Apple IDs, sharing settings etc.... We've rebooted devices. We've tested the sharing works via app store purchases.

I wondered if the sharing is not working because I've just started the book, and have not (yet) seen that in any instructions.

It’s possible.

https://www.imore.com/how-to-share-books-excerpts-ibooks-iphone-ipad

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201085

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

As much as I know it’s still backlit, or lit by itself, I believe reading is one of the pros for the Max’ OLED display and if not that the newer technology to change color for your surroundings.

Maybe it’s the generation of Paperwhite type, but our Kindle is not so pleasant if you have much backlight on. In a dark room I prefer the phone app in black mode over the Kindle’s backlight feature. If you’re outside and have that amount of daylight there’s no doubt the e-ink is great.

I’m still surprised Apple’s own book app does not display as much text - has the bigger margins. It seems like the Books app needs the incremental fixes I see Amazon’s done and same for the the work Microsoft keeps doing for the Office 365 apps.

I downloaded some free content from Apple to see if this bigger margins than Kindle app issue came from the book but I don’t think so.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have an old Kindle that I don’t use much because it’s clunky, I use the kindle app all the time on my iPads and iPhones.Recently I went back and re-tried iBooks or whatever it’s called now, and it seems to run better than it did. BUT Apple is still comparatively expensive to purchase books from and seems to have a very limited selection of free books. Also enormous margins on iPad and too much on iPhone.
All in all, Kindle app and Bluefire reader for me, particularly Bluefire ( smallest page margins)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen