Who is Thomas Dent Mutter?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Ok being 100% honest here, I'm really not a biography kind of guy. Recently I got the biography of Doctor Thomas Dent Mutter, from Overdrive, and loved it! I did not realize it was a biography until I had started reading it! The book is called. Dr. Mutter's Marvel's. Not sure WHAT I thought it was, but the title drew me in, BUT I knew of a famous Mutter Museum here in Philly. They ARE connected.

Dr Mutter was a pioneer of surgical medicine, and in particular, an early proponent of 3 things, plastic surgery, and the care of the patient in 2 ways through a doctor's cleanliness, AND through the use of anesthesia. When Doctor Mutter first started operating surgery involved getting the patient drunk, then holding them down as the surgeon performed the operation, often with fatal results. Infection was expected. SOMETIMES the patient lived. When Either Anesthesia was invented and when many doctors refused to use it, Doctor Mutter embraced it and used it and taught others. He also was involved in a movement towards doctor and medical personnel cleanliness to prevent spread of diseases.

The man was a genius! A medical procedure he invented called the mutter flap was used for 150 years after his death! What an incredible man. Great read!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Did he use an iPhone or iPad?...LOL

He would have embraced such technologies, and applied them to the treatment of patients. Doctors today use iPad and iPhones (and Android phones) to look up information, to manage patient care, and to do many other things!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner