What's your favorite book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

Just started reading "A Canticle for Leibowitz" classic novel by Walter Miller. It's a an "end of the world" or "after the apocalypse" story. I LOVE these and it got me thinking about what is my favorite of these type books AND what is my favorite book in general? I have a very short list some of my favorites are The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury, One Second After by William Forstchen, Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, and The Stand by Stephen King. These are my favorites.

Out of those my favorite is Stephen King's The Stand. And I prefer the expanded version. Although I have read both. It's one of those "end of the world" stories, BUT done in such a clever way, BUT watching the world end is only the beginning of the story, there's so much more. The struggle between good and evil, and the heroic journey of the characters. It's my favorite book!

So what about you? What's your favorite read? It does NOT have to be an "end of world" story like mine. :)

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't really have one, they change with time. Also you will find so will your liking for various genres. There are notable books and even they change according to one's viewpoint which is also mutable, Pkcable, try "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" by Roger Zelazney.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't really have one, they change with time. Also you will find so will your liking for various genres. There are notable books and even they change according to one's viewpoint which is also mutable, Pkcable, try "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" by Roger Zelazney.

Familiar with him! He wrote a series I love called "The Cronicles of Amber" I'd have to say THAT is up there too for series books! That, or "The Foundation Series" by Asimov, or King's Dark Tower.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok this thread REALLY got me thinking! Now that I'm on the subject of book series, I'm reminded of Julian May's "Saga of Pliocene Exile" AWESOME series of books set in the near future in a time when societies misfits get exiled via a 1 way time portal to the distant past. BUT BOY what they find there! Also I'm also thinking about Evan Innes' America 2040 series which takes a cold war (but about to erupt) America and sends us to another planet, BUT what happens to those left back home? And what do those sent to the stars find?

johnmoore13

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
103355c6c7ac3fae8300d85bc0d2aa6f.jpg

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hands down, the one that really impacted me is "The Shack" by William Paul Young. Others include the entire Harry Potter series, All Creatures Great and Small and To Kill A Mockingbird. ;) I can never pick just one.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Familiar with him! He wrote a series I love called "The Cronicles of Amber" I'd have to say THAT is up there too for series books! That, or "The Foundation Series" by Asimov, or King's Dark Tower.

Oh I was struggling here to pin it to one book. Yes, The Dark Tower, all 8 sections of it. You will never ever get me to call it a series when King himself calls it a single entity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73