Folks,

What genre books do you read? Personally I go mostly for Sci Fi and Fantasy, BUT I also like murder mystery, and historical fiction. I have a particular thing for "end of the world" stories. I'm also a HUGE horror fan, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman (yea yea I know I have a thread about him! lol) etc.

So what about you? What type of books do you read? Got any favorites?
    06-07-2017 03:44 PM
    Ok, I'll bite ! Crime fiction (meaning mystery, murder and all) I have a particular penchant for books written before 1960, because the use of language seems far,far better than the majority of more modern work.
    SF & Fantasy yes indeed, I have mountains of the stuff, but seem to have tapered off about twenty years ago. Horror,have some,but prefer what might be called "Gothic Horror" which really encompasses the traditional ghost story, I think with Horror stories the ability to write well is also tied to the same time frame as above.
    Favourites ? Almost anything written by John Dixon Carr/Carter Dickson, an American writer who wrote in England for a long time and whose stories written with England as a background are much better than those written about America.
    06-08-2017 11:04 AM
    Ok I got a recommendation for you! It was written in the 90ies I think, BUT it's a historical fiction, crime drama. It's called The Alienist by Caleb Carr. The title character is sorta like a forensic scientist or criminologist of the early 1900s. It's an awesome book/books, there are 1 or 2 sequels.

PS It;s coming to TV!!!!!! https://forums.imore.com/tv-movies/379168-alienist.html
    06-08-2017 12:01 PM
    Read it.. SF, almost anything by Jack Vance.
    pkcable likes this.
    06-09-2017 10:10 AM
    Sci-FI/Fantasy/Suspense/Thriller/Horror....you know, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, F. Paul Wilson, Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, that kind of stuff.
    06-09-2017 12:33 PM
    Alternate reliability and futuristic book
    06-09-2017 02:37 PM
    Alternate reliability and futuristic book
    I'm all for this !!
    06-10-2017 10:52 AM
    My preferred genre is inspirational. I use to like crime/thriller/suspense but now only inspirational.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-08-2017 07:30 PM
    My preferred genre is inspirational. I use to like crime/thriller/suspense but now only inspirational.
    Cool! I read a bit of self help myself which is a related genre. Not sure if you are familiar with what we call "The Big Book" But I read that a couple times a week.
    bluej3 likes this.
    08-14-2017 01:43 PM
    Cool! I read a bit of self help myself which is a related genre. Not sure if you are familiar with what we call "The Big Book" But I read that a couple times a week.
    It is nice to know someone who has the similar taste. I have not heard abt the "The Big Book". Can i know who is the author?
    08-14-2017 01:58 PM
    Mystery and horror
    08-14-2017 01:59 PM
    It is nice to know someone who has the similar taste. I have not heard abt the "The Big Book". Can i know who is the author?
    It was written by a variety of people but the main one was Bill Wilson. It's also called Alcoholics Anonymous. It's the basic text for the 12 step fellowship of recovering Alcoholics. I've been sober for 15 years as of July 23rd. Here's some info on Bill and AA...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.
    08-14-2017 02:34 PM
    It was written by a variety of people but the main one was Bill Wilson. It's also called Alcoholics Anonymous. It's the basic text for the 12 step fellowship of recovering Alcoholics. I've been sober for 15 years as of July 23rd. Here's some info on Bill and AA...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.
    That is really a good one. I am glad it helped you! These kinda books are worth the read. Thank you for lettin me know
    pkcable likes this.
    08-14-2017 04:00 PM