What genre of books do you read?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Folks,

What genre books do you read? Personally I go mostly for Sci Fi and Fantasy, BUT I also like murder mystery, and historical fiction. I have a particular thing for "end of the world" stories. I'm also a HUGE horror fan, Stephen King, Clive Barker, Neil Gaiman (yea yea I know I have a thread about him! lol) etc.

So what about you? What type of books do you read? Got any favorites?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'll bite ! Crime fiction (meaning mystery, murder and all) I have a particular penchant for books written before 1960, because the use of language seems far,far better than the majority of more modern work.
SF & Fantasy yes indeed, I have mountains of the stuff, but seem to have tapered off about twenty years ago. Horror,have some,but prefer what might be called "Gothic Horror" which really encompasses the traditional ghost story, I think with Horror stories the ability to write well is also tied to the same time frame as above.
Favourites ? Almost anything written by John Dixon Carr/Carter Dickson, an American writer who wrote in England for a long time and whose stories written with England as a background are much better than those written about America.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok I got a recommendation for you! It was written in the 90ies I think, BUT it's a historical fiction, crime drama. It's called The Alienist by Caleb Carr. The title character is sorta like a forensic scientist or criminologist of the early 1900s. It's an awesome book/books, there are 1 or 2 sequels.

PS It;s coming to TV!!!!!! https://forums.imore.com/tv-movies/379168-alienist.html

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Sci-FI/Fantasy/Suspense/Thriller/Horror....you know, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, F. Paul Wilson, Tolkien, George R.R. Martin, that kind of stuff.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
My preferred genre is inspirational. I use to like crime/thriller/suspense but now only inspirational.

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
My preferred genre is inspirational. I use to like crime/thriller/suspense but now only inspirational.

Cool! I read a bit of self help myself which is a related genre. Not sure if you are familiar with what we call "The Big Book" But I read that a couple times a week. :)

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
Cool! I read a bit of self help myself which is a related genre. Not sure if you are familiar with what we call "The Big Book" But I read that a couple times a week. :)

It is nice to know someone who has the similar taste. I have not heard abt the "The Big Book". Can i know who is the author?

pkcable

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It is nice to know someone who has the similar taste. I have not heard abt the "The Big Book". Can i know who is the author?

It was written by a variety of people but the main one was Bill Wilson. It's also called Alcoholics Anonymous. It's the basic text for the 12 step fellowship of recovering Alcoholics. I've been sober for 15 years as of July 23rd. :) Here's some info on Bill and AA...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.

bluej3

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
It was written by a variety of people but the main one was Bill Wilson. It's also called Alcoholics Anonymous. It's the basic text for the 12 step fellowship of recovering Alcoholics. I've been sober for 15 years as of July 23rd. :) Here's some info on Bill and AA...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.

That is really a good one. I am glad it helped you! These kinda books are worth the read. Thank you for lettin me know

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods