"Real" Books or eReader?

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
To come back to this thread, I love actual books and the gaudy paperback covers, but as I get older I find that the print size of most paperbacks is very hard to read for long, and that the ability to alter print size at will is a godsend !

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
To come back to this thread, I love actual books and the gaudy paperback covers, but as I get older I find that the print size of most paperbacks is very hard to read for long, and that the ability to alter print size at will is a godsend !

I hear you. Some have questioned the way I adjust the text size and colors but I’ve noticed my eyes have been working decades longer.

With a trip coming up a dear friend is threatening to drop off an old school book for me to pack.

Quite often I wonder if a lot of people haven’t given electronic reading a try and even if so wonder if they’ve adjusted text size and background color. I noticed some have not found the switch between text and graphics mode some reading apps have. Same for reader mode in the web browser.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Audiobooks are growing on me. With a super active 2 year old it can be hard to read and when he goes to bed, I don't feel like it lol So, I can get through an audiobook or more while sitting at my desk at work.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
When I do read, I use my iPhone 11 or iPad mini (5th gen). Very rarely will I actually purchase a paper copy, so when I do, it’s for that nostalgic old time feeling of holding a paper book in hand.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
"Real" Books or eReader?

I like eBooks. I like to use “Spoken Content” with Apple’s Accessibility settings to read out loud the book to me. It is kind of hoakie, though I like the technology a lot.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Overall, I prefer e-books and use Amazon's Kindle app on my iPad and iPhone, as well as iBooks. However, there are times when I prefer to have a physical copy of the actual book, particularly when I fall in love with a book.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I have just picked up a hardback Rex Stout that I would like to read again, There is no way I will be able to read this all the way through as I used to,without putting it down and resting my eyes for an hour or so.

Hendri Hendri

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
"Real" Books or eReader?

For me, the choice is real book for sure ...

But since real books can eat up my “physical storage” and expensive, well, eBook it is then

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I prefer real books. For me, it's more pleasant to read paper books, to feel the paper. Somethimes it's not very comfortable to take a book with you everywhere, and in those cases, I have a book with short stories in an app on my phone

Hello and welcome to iMore! I'm sure that you will find the help you're looking for. When you get a chance, please take a minute to introduce yourself here!

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Yes, I hear from friends/people - they like the paper book experience.
I’m an avid reader but only since I bought my first iPad mini. Maybe I have ADD :) but I don’t know how they remember characters, subplots etc. An ebook can have X-ray or I’ll highlight a few parts as a quickly brought up refresher when I pick the book back up next day or two. I like period pieces that are fictional up front but contain historically accurate background. Words that have long since stop being used and vague historical events, I’m able to bring up the meaning or event summary instantly. For me I can’t imagine how the paper versions could work.

maxdsgnr

Oct 5, 2022
Visit site
I think that eBooks are much more comfortable. You can keep them with you at all times without worrying about damaging them and you have an almost endless supply of books available to you with the click of a button. With paper books, you have to be more careful with them since they can easily be damaged and you are limited to how many you can physically carry with you. I also think that eBooks are better for the environment since no trees have to be cut down in order to make them. However, I understand that some people prefer physical books because they like the feeling of holding a book in their hands and turning the pages. They also tend to last longer than eBooks since there is no battery that needs to be replaced and they can't be accidentally deleted. In the end, it comes down to personal preference.

bedolaga

Jan 2, 2023
Visit site
The debate over whether a real book or an electronic book (e-book) is better has been ongoing for years. While e-books offer a range of benefits, such as portability and convenience, real books still hold their own unique advantages. One advantage of real books is that they can help you sleep better. Reading a physical book before bed can help you relax and unwind, leading to better sleep quality. In contrast, screens on e-readers and tablets emit blue light that can disrupt your sleep and keep you awake longer

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I believe that the blue light-sleep thing has been disproved. Also, reading real books has never helped me sleep, and and I’ve read at night for 60+ years.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I believe that the blue light-sleep thing has been disproved. Also, reading real books has never helped me sleep, and and I’ve read at night for 60+ years.

Like you, I read every night before bed, have for about 5 years. I’m dubious about the blue light.

To each their own. IME with those that like paper books, it’s about habit and comfort, maybe even nostalgia. But IPad mini reading(or quality e reader) is vastly superior. Instant access to millions of titles. I read a chapter or two and decide this book isn’t for me. My new book is up in less than a minute. Paper is dedication to a book you may not even like. And The ability to change font size and illumination for me is huge. Fir me makes the reading experience so much more easy. And I challenge anyone to read some of the classics, as an example, and know words that are long since past common usage. Or books that reference historical events, people or geographic areas. On the iPad everything is an instant one press explanation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh