Powerbeats 3 Hands On

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
About me
Just giving you folks a little idea of where I am coming from. Up until my purchase of the iPhone 7+ I have been in the Android camp since the original droid on Verizon. In moving to the Apple ecosystem I have been slowly moving toward new hardware to support it. Apple Watch and Charge station finally went off processing this week. My last wireless headset was a Motorola S305:
motorola-s305.28961781.jpg

So its been a while - although those lasted me a good long time. When deciding what headset I wanted to go with I had these factors in mind:
1) Lightweight
2) In-Ear.
3) Good for travel as I travel often for work.
4) Something I could work out or run with.
5) Something that didn't cancel sound (running and not hearing stuff around you isn't optimal).
6) Something that held a charge.
7) Something that took advantage of my new phone tech.
8) Something I could take calls with.

That said, early adoption would probably be limited to Beats X, Powerbeats 3 or Apple AirPods. The deciding factor for me was the over ear wrap to help secure the earpieces on my head.

Cost
Wireless Beats headsets usually come with a standard price tag. The new Powerbeats 3 comes in at 199.95. While similar to the PB2, a look at the inside of the boxing tells you they had to cut some corners to keep the price in the normal range.

Boxing
01380486616596bac8e694f5057742cd65f02dd21a.jpg
The outside boxing is pretty standard. I went with the neon greenish color ones. I mean what Green Bay Packer fan wouldn't? Visually these look great but I also liked the normal red ones.

012737ec2d7fbf5bc900efd07b37d96fd783f08562.jpg
The inside of the box contains the headset, standard Beats documentation, a charge cable (standard mini usb), 3 additional sizes of ear cup and a rubber carrying case. It is here that you start to see where Apple was forced to cut some corners to keep the price point. The cable does not come with a USB Plug adapter. Maybe I got spoiled in the Android world - but that kind of thing is standard in my book. In addition the case is just a cheap Rubberized pouch with a hole at the top. For the premium price, I would have expected better.

So I got these on Saturday. I went ahead and charged them to full and put them in my desk for Monday's test.

The Test
I had the headphones on for just under 10 hours. During this period of time I streamed Amazon Prime Music through them. The headset showed no power issues what so ever and I am confident that the 12 hours could be hit. I tested the range by leaving my phone in my office upstairs. I was able to walk around my 1900 square foot home with no break in the music. Volume controls worked flawlessly on the device also.

During the day I probably took 20 work calls. The sound was crisp and the person I was talking with told me that my voice was very clear and strong. Transitioning from music to incoming call was a snap and it worked flawlessly. As I was streaming music I did have to restart it when I finished the call - but no real complaints.

I took Loki (my dog) for two walks and was happy to say that the sound was clear on a windy day but I could still hear bikers coming upon me. I think these are great for running.

I should also point out that connecting these to any Apple device is a breeze. You hit the power button on the earphone and it just connects. A popup shows up on the phone and you are done. I can't wait to pair this with my watch when it comes in.

The Fit
So I'm a small guy.. I definitely do not have Lebron James earlobes (I know shocker). While the earclip is a quality soft rubber, I can't help but wish the height of the earclip was customizable like the ear cups. The clips almost feel too large and I can see some minor movement and a few corrections that I will need to do while working out or running. I may need to revisit the optional ear cups again to see if I can get a better fit.

01a21e41ff4d2f0c3100efcd67209e3d84d0ba344b.jpg

I wore these for close to 10 hours. No in ear headset is going to be super comfortable for that long. These weren't that bad though. Normally I think I would wear them max for 4 hours (on flights in airports) or shorter times when at home. But my ears did not hurt and at some points I couldn't even tell they were there.

Sound

So this is the real meat of what most folks want to know. I have owned tube McIntosh amplifiers/pre-amps. I am not without some understanding of dynamic range and quality of sound. Keeping in mind that these are Beats and Wireless, I will say that the sound is superb. There is a little extra base because that is what folks seem to be after today - but these handled my eclectic taste in music very well. These are not your noise cancelling Bose headphones. They aren't meant to be. These deliver clean sound though and if you want to be active these are a solid choice.

Overall

Pros
- W1 chip: Increased battery life, extended range and a snap to connect to new Apple products.
- Lightweight and great for travel
- Fantastic sound quality on calls.
- Great looking
- Solid sound reproduction

Con
- Packaging elements cut corners to maintain price.
- Comfort suffers a little due to non-customizable ear clips.

So I know folks want me to put price down as a con - but as someone that has had plenty of PC headsets for gaming and communicating over the years, I just don't find the 199.95 pricepoint that outrageous. Many of the headsets I have bought for 200-300 for gaming, I usually said these should have come in at 150.00. I see the same comments about these. For 50.00 I will take the pros that these offer.

I tend to think the earclips are still an advantage over the Beats X or Air Pods that lack them (even though they are also listed as a con). I am pleased with my purchase and I look forward to using these to continue an active lifestyle.

If anyone has any questions just let me know. I will check this post every few days.

Thanks!

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Really good post. I was on the fence about putting price as a negative in my reviews. Headphones are just really expensive (especially the ones that use bluetooth)

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Really good post. I was on the fence about putting price as a negative in my reviews. Headphones are just really expensive (especially the ones that use bluetooth)

Thanks - yeah I hear ya. Each persons budget differs. I'm hoping they last as long as my last headset did. If they do the money won't really be an issue.

mstacheef

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm deciding between these and the BeatsX. How did you carry them all day? Over your ears, around your neck, pocket etc. I like the around the neck form factor of the BeatsX, but like the better battery life and hooks on these.

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm deciding between these and the BeatsX. How did you carry them all day? Over your ears, around your neck, pocket etc. I like the around the neck form factor of the BeatsX, but like the better battery life and hooks on these.
I would go Powerbeats (I have the 2), as the clips are just way less of a hassle. I wear them around my neck sometimes, but I've moved almost exclusively to my Solo3 at work.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site

I kept them in ear all day with the exception of talking with some of the neighbors on walks. During that time I took on the right earcup and let it hang (since continuous play / power was a test). As Austin points out the clips are a big deal I think.

If you are used to using a headset without them and want to stick with a lightning connector - X would be a good way to go. What I know about the difference between the two:

Powerbeats 3:
- Mini Usb charging.
- Ear Clips
- +4 hours of battery on a single charge
- more colors

Beats X:
- Lightning Charger (works with your current Apple charging stuff)
- Fast charging (mostly due to the lightning charger)

If you wanted to throw them in your pocket though - either should be just fine. Since Powerbeats 2 the connecting wire between the two earpieces is a flat non-tangle ear piece. Crumped up either will fit in the palm of your hand.

Call sound quality should be equally good on both.

As you said - if you want a beefier battery and the hooks - PB3 are the way to go. The confusing marketing move to me is why Beats X and Air Pods will directly compete. My only thought here is that they are trying to "create" competition and an option for people that dislike Beats. Either way it sounds like you are leaning towards PB3 and I can not argue these as a pick. They are solid from my little time with them.

anon(631408)

May 27, 2010
Visit site
This is a very good review. I am trying to find out if it makes sense to upgrade from the PowerBeats 2 to the 3? Can anyone tell if the sound is better or the same? I understand the battery life is better and has a faster recharge but I haven't had an issue with either on the PB2. I am just not seeing a good reason to upgrade yet.

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
I have been searching for my next go to pair of earbuds, and thank you to Fable for his great review which helped me immensely in deciding to buy the powerbeats3.

So far I tried two in ear truly wireless earbuds, the Sol Republic Amps Air and the Skybuds. The Amps Air fit well but sounded horrible. Took them back. I am still trying the skybuds which sound awesome, but are very pricy. I wanted two pairs of earbuds, one I could wear under my hat and one for intense workouts. The Skybuds took care of the hat pair, but I have to say I am liking the sound and feel of the powerbeats3. Still haven't decided which way I like wearing the wire (in front of neck or behind head) but the quality of these is fantastic.

I still want a pair of the beatsx, but who knows how long the release will take for those.

Thank you again for the great review.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I have more BT headphones than I should admit. I have a pair of Powerbeats 2 that I use to sleep with and a second pair that I use at the office sometimes. The 12 hour battery life is intriguing to me as I could stop using two separate headphones. I could use the same ones that I sleep with during the day and charge them at night or when I am not using them at the office. I am also wondering if the W1 pairing will stay paired better with iOS 10 than the regular BT chips do.

Are you getting any disconnects with the PB3's?

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the review.
Are you getting any disconnects with the PB3's?

My pleasure. With the exception of range testing (which was an auto-reconnect when stepping back in range) it has been silky smooth without a hiccup. Coming from Android it has been a better BT experience with the W1 chip. Its still early though.. but so far so good.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I have been searching for my next go to pair of earbuds, and thank you to Fable for his great review which helped me immensely in deciding to buy the powerbeats3.

Thank you again for the great review.

Thanks Steven - if you pick up Beats X or PB3 - please share your experience. Just glad I could help!

Steven Sabo

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Steven - if you pick up Beats X or PB3 - please share your experience. Just glad I could help!

I bought the PB3 last night and used it for my workout (cardio night on the elliptical plus heavy bag). They sounded great and felt awesome in the ears. Where to wear the wire was the only conundrum that I had. Was annoying under my chin (loose of course), Wearing behind felt better but when doing the heavy bag I could feel it rubbing across the back of my head and tugging on my ears when I landed punches. Just something to get used to and not a deal breaker.

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Just updating my thread. After about a week of ownership I am really getting used to these. My applewatch finally shipped and I got it in yesterday. Took the dog out for a walk this morning after syncing my music to the watch and used the BT to sync it to the Powerbeats 3. Sound was solid and it was nice not to have to carry my phone through the back trails with the dog.

Interesting hiccup to report (and its really no big deal).. when I hit my garage the music stopped playing for almost 10 seconds and then started. My guess is that the headset and/or watch found the phone and was going through a sync process with it too.. Thinking about it .. it could have been the watch instead of the headset because when it picked back up it wasn't 10 seconds beyond when it stopped playing music. Again not a huge deal but something to keep in mind if you have Powerbeats 3 synced with your Watch and your Phone.

setup_charger.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just updating my thread. After about a week of ownership I am really getting used to these. My applewatch finally shipped and I got it in yesterday. Took the dog out for a walk this morning after syncing my music to the watch and used the BT to sync it to the Powerbeats 3. Sound was solid and it was nice not to have to carry my phone through the back trails with the dog.

Interesting hiccup to report (and its really no big deal).. when I hit my garage the music stopped playing for almost 10 seconds and then started. My guess is that the headset and/or watch found the phone and was going through a sync process with it too.. Thinking about it .. it could have been the watch instead of the headset because when it picked back up it wasn't 10 seconds beyond when it stopped playing music. Again not a huge deal but something to keep in mind if you have Powerbeats 3 synced with your Watch and your Phone.

View attachment 113882

Thank you, and we appreciate the update...

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I was on one yesterday and am about to go another in a few minutes. What do you need to know? (Besides how slow I run :). )

AustinIllini

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 113882
Were you using your watch or your phone?

The iPhone 7 Plus has known bluetooth issues (although it's normally associated with car audio)

Fable

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
I run off road on trails. I am using my watch synced with my Favorites playlist. I change pace over about a 4 mile course. Wind sprints, jogging and an occasional walk. Smooth as butter when I'm not in range of the phone (mentioned earlier as it connects). I can try to take out the phone this weekend but before I got the watch I would bring the phone on long walks including snow and windy conditions. I experienced no blue tooth issues. I will give it a whirl this week.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW