Consumer BBM to shutdown on May 31 2019

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the update, Ed7789. In opinion, I'm not surprised. Without the Blackberry, using BBM just didn't feel right - at least not to me.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
What could have been what WhatsApp is today had it not been for the incompetence of Research In (Slow) Motion and its leadership circa 2010 by refusing to make this multi-platform. Even by then they were still confident BBM would keep selling Blackberry hardware when the writing was on the wall.

ozdezignr

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
...and BBM Enterprise will be free for 12 months then $5.00 a year...and from what I have read there will be a desktop app for those like me that don't want to pick up the phone unless it is an actual phone call

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
What could have been what WhatsApp is today had it not been for the incompetence of Research In (Slow) Motion and its leadership circa 2010 by refusing to make this multi-platform. Even by then they were still confident BBM would keep selling Blackberry hardware when the writing was on the wall.

I have been using BBM for year and all of my existing groups are moving to WhatsApp.

We have a iPhone X chat group if anyone is interested in joining our group, here is the WhatsApp group link:

https://chat.whatsapp.com/LFwJ7Sw62m2GZMwP6yBvPO

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
CMW, the developers of BBM, have announced that BBM for consumers will shutdown on May 31 2019.

Source: https://blog.bbm.com/2019/04/18/time-to-say-goodbye-english-version/

Being I am a also a Ambassador on the CB forums and a old Blackberry user myself, I have been using BBM for years. I have been active in three groups that have been going strong for almost 6 years.

We should have seen it coming when they sold the consumer rights to emtek. But as other folks have stated, with the rise of so many other services such as WhatsApp, iMessage, FB messenger, Telegram and a few others. I knew it wouldn’t be long before their demise was imminent.

But, that’s the price we pay for technology and it’s time to move on. For myself and most everyone in my groups, we have moved to WhatsApp. It’s seems this service is used widely by folks overseas and we have many of those in our groups.

For BBM, it was great while it lasted and I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the Blackberry brand.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234