As you all know, Blackberry released the BBM app to be used across multiple platforms. It's reception has been both positive and negative. Some are having a blast with it, some view it as a relic of the past, and some flat out refuse to even give it a try. Having said that, should users simply disregard BBM without even trying it out or should they be able to try it out and decide for themselves whether they like it or not, or want to continue using it or not?
    That's a pretty broad anecdotal statement to make. Like others I'm not clear why this is even a question other than to stir up discussion for discussion sakes?
    10-26-2013 05:07 PM
    I love BBM...I just left BB two weeks ago when I got my iphone so it was great getting all of my contacts back...
    pcguy514 and ladyc0524 like this.
    10-26-2013 06:23 PM
    That's a pretty broad anecdotal statement to make.
    Anecdotal? Just read through some of the BBM threads here and see for yourself.
    Like others I'm not clear why this is even a question other than to stir up discussion for discussion sakes?
    Yeah, pretty much. That is a part of my Ambassador duties.......People can choose to participate in this discussion or choose not to.
    Jaguarr40 and Good OL MC like this.
    10-26-2013 07:24 PM
    That's a pretty broad anecdotal statement to make. Like others I'm not clear why this is even a question other than to stir up discussion for discussion sakes?
    This is a forum, we come here to have discussions... No?
    10-26-2013 07:40 PM
    Anecdotal? Just read through some of the BBM threads here and see for yourself. Yeah, pretty much. That is a part of my Ambassador duties.......People can choose to participate in this discussion or choose not to.
    This is a forum, we come here to have discussions... No?
    Both of you are right on point no matter what anybody thinks of this new for IOS the bottom line is by creating the thread, You have gotten the effect you were looking for and taz is right... Discussion.
    10-26-2013 10:17 PM
    My duties too... Difference is 'D is more level headed when it comes to discussion, I tend to be the one that stirs things up but then again as my Ambassador duties I am just doing mine in a different way but I try not to cross the line of arrogance right 'D?...LOL
    10-26-2013 10:22 PM
    Yeah I'm gonna pass. BBM is the equivalent of trying to get all your Facebook friends to use Google+ ...
    Harley Kid likes this.
    10-26-2013 11:13 PM
    I enjoy it. As somebody who started out as a DEVOUT Blackberry guy it's kind of nice to bring my smartphone life full circle....only have one friend using it right now, but it's still cool to chat with him on it. Hoping at least a few other friends will hop on it for the hell of it if nothing else. It's free...hell, why not?
    BlackBerry Guy and Elite1 like this.
    10-27-2013 01:13 AM
    I like BlackBerry products and I do like BBM on BB10. But on both my iPhone and Android, BBM is almost useless to me.
    I have been using BBM on my BB devices for years and was stoked to her they were going cross platform. After the past couple of updates, it seems to be running a LOT better on iOS than on Android

I tried it on Android, and rejoined the group, only to find that group disappearing again after a few days. It's nice and all to see BBM on iPhone and Android, but the app is pretty buggy. It's definitely usable, but too buggy for my liking.
    I also had this issue on my Motorola when I rebooted my device. I was forced to uninstall the BBM app and reinstall the app and set up my existing account again.
    If anyone is aware if this is a Google Play/ issue/bug , please post update or how to resolve the disappearing app.

The new OS, BlackBerry 10 will be coming to it and he ended up getting the 64Gb model? I have... And we all know how that went...
    Sore subject for a LOT of BB users ... Myself included! Although I still use and enjoy my 9900/PB 64Gb combo, I also bought mine while on OS7 and was super pumped to hear it was going to update with the new platform ... Only to be bummed out to find that it wouldn't. Then the bridge feature that made the whole experience seamless was also dropped on OS10 making the Playbook just like any other 7" tablet on the market with NO significant feature to set it or its OS apart from any other. With the financial peril BlackBerry seemed to be heading for and the missing features, I didn't upgrade my BB to a new Q10
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    10-27-2013 01:16 AM
    I have been using BBM on my BB devices for years and was stoked to her they were going cross platform. After the past couple of updates, it seems to be running a LOT better on iOS than on Android

I also had this issue on my Motorola when I rebooted my device. I was forced to uninstall the BBM app and reinstall the app and set up my existing account again.
    If anyone is aware if this is a Google Play/ issue/bug , please post update or how to resolve the disappearing app.

Sore subject for a LOT of BB users ... Myself included! Although I still use and enjoy my 9900/PB 64Gb combo, I also bought mine while on OS7 and was super pumped to hear it was going to update with the new platform ... Only to be bummed out to find that it wouldn't. Then the bridge feature that made the whole experience seamless was also dropped on OS10 making the Playbook just like any other 7" tablet on the market with NO significant feature to set it or its OS apart from any other. With the financial peril BlackBerry seemed to be heading for and the missing features, I didn't upgrade my BB to a new Q10
    Actually, BlackBerry Bridge for bb10 was never dropped. Where on earth do you get this false information from? BlackBerry bridge for bb10 has been available for months and was updated again about a month ago so u can now use bbm on the Playbook just like you could on os7. Only thing missing now is sms but that's cos in os7 it was a separate app like bbm now It's built into the hub. Maybe they still plan on bringing it who knows. It's just as good as it was.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    Harley Kid likes this.
    10-27-2013 04:31 AM
    People should do as they feel, with one exception...

They should at least try it before bashing it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    rayz336 and Elite1 like this.
    10-27-2013 08:07 AM
    Bbm works for some, not for others. It depends on why you use it. I'd imagine for people who have family overseas that do not have international texting it would be great

Sent from my iPhone 5s
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-27-2013 11:03 AM
    Again I say if it weren't released by BlackBerry, and it were a new messaging app would you try it? Most people who are into IM apps would I think.
    Don't discount it just because of your feeling toward BlackBerry.

No harm in trying it, nothing to lose. It really is great communication tool, and for iOS and Android more features to come.
    I'm having a blast chatting with my iPhone friends and family back in Africa and Canada and England..........
    10-27-2013 03:06 PM
    Bbm needs to add video chat
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-27-2013 03:13 PM
    Actually, BlackBerry Bridge for bb10 was never dropped. Where on earth do you get this false information from? BlackBerry bridge for bb10 has been available for months and was updated again about a month ago so u can now use bbm on the Playbook just like you could on os7. Only thing missing now is sms but that's cos in os7 it was a separate app like bbm now It's built into the hub. Maybe they still plan on bringing it who knows. It's just as good as it was.

I guess that the information given by the representative at the local store was obviously used to persuade me to choose another OS other than BlackBerry is the only assumption I can come to at this point. I will DEFINITELY be checking into your comment above in hope that the features that I used on a daily basis with os7 will now actually have come to fruition with os10. Thank you for clarifying!
    10-27-2013 07:50 PM
    the only reason i downloaded it again was because a bunch of my friends and i had a BBM chat years ago when we all had BB devices. since then, we have ALL switched to android or iphones. upon the release of BBM, some of us downloaded it and formed the group again. it was a huge pain in the **** having mass group texts, so we agree that the BBM group is pretty much the main reason we like using it. other than that, unfortunately, i see no other reason for using it. i think it would be of more use for android users, since it allows them to finally have an all data alternative to SMS (kinda how we have imessage).

Ive seen a slow progression among my friends when it comes to downloading it. in fact, most refuse to download it when i ask them to, saying its stupid and "whats the point". most of us that have it, will use it and see if its worth keeping. its one of those things thats in a gray area. theres either alot of your friends using it, which makes it make sense and more will willingly download it or there no one that wants to and your contact list remains so short, that it becomes pointless.
    10-28-2013 03:09 AM
    I guess that the information given by the representative at the local store was obviously used to persuade me to choose another OS other than BlackBerry is the only assumption I can come to at this point. I will DEFINITELY be checking into your comment above in hope that the features that I used on a daily basis with os7 will now actually have come to fruition with os10. Thank you for clarifying!
    Yup. You can connect to the Web, use the phone as a remote control for movies presentations in the playbooj, browse and access your cellphone files and bbm. You can't access sms, calendar or emails. Having said that.. I never needed to as the Playbook has emails and calendar already. Would've been nice to have the sms capability again.

10-28-2013 03:11 AM
    I tried it out purely out of nostalgia. And I continue to use it for that very reason.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using iMore Forums mobile app
    Elite1 likes this.
    10-28-2013 04:42 AM
    Tried it and deleted it. If anyone I know would use it, I would have maybe kept it. But not a single real-life friend or family member uses it. iMessage for all!

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5
    10-28-2013 05:46 AM

Why?
    Here's me downloading BBM -
    "Yaaaaaaa I downloaded BBM, now who do I message?!"

Here's me trying to get my friends to use BBM - "I know it's just like every other IM app available"
    GingerSnapsBack likes this.
    10-29-2013 02:00 AM

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    I had enough "trying it" when I had my BB. No thanks.
    10-29-2013 01:54 PM
    Try it out, but don't judge it in its current form. Right now it's a simple cross platform messaging tool. In the months to come you'll get Voice Calling, Video Calling, BBM Channels, and lots of great features on top of that. This is just the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone 5s on Verizon from Philly.
    Elite1 likes this.
    11-02-2013 11:27 PM
    Should users disregard BBM as a thing of the past?
    If a superficial and uncritical snap judgement works for you, then yes.
    Otherwise, take a few moments, evaluate it by its features and potential usefulness to you and then decide.

Should users test it out if they want?
    Sure, it's free. What have you got to lose?

I tried it out for nostalgia and curiosity.

Glad I did.
    Used to chat and have a lot of laughs with a great group of people back in my CB Off Topic days.
    Most moved on to other platforms, drifted apart.
    Thanks to BBM, the band is back together again!
    Having a great time with my old friends.
    BlackBerry Guy and Elite1 like this.
    11-03-2013 11:21 AM
    Funny how people disregard BBM as a thing of the past because Blackberry screwed up under previous CEOs. Remember, Apple was in the same place and they created the iPod which brought Apple back. Then they created the iPhone. BBM will be a great app once it's updated with the voice calling, video calling, etc. and in my opinion, if they can integrate SMS into BBM it will be all in one. For traveling, and using it over wifi- that will be a plus.

Just funny how people have this hatred for blackberry, when almost every company has had it. It's a cycle. It's a matter of can blackberry pull itself out. Right now they are at the mercy of developers. Developers are waiting to see if sales are there. People are waiting for the apps to be there. Personally I like BBOS10. I'm like others and waiting for key apps before I buy it.
    Dennisgarcia and Elite1 like this.
    11-03-2013 12:51 PM
    My wife likes it from her Pearl days. She uses it so forces me to use it
    11-04-2013 11:29 AM
69 123