According to this article from 2012 Keeping RIM alive: NY Governor uses PIN and BBM to avoid email

It states all bbm communication is not traceable or able to be retrieved after it is deleted from a mobile phone.

Does the same apply for bbm on ios?
    10-24-2013 10:07 PM
    I don't know, but I can tell you that is the primary reason I and the people I associated with used to use it during my Blackberry years during which I was a government employee...
    pcguy514 likes this.
    10-24-2013 10:18 PM
    BBM is more secure than SMS but it's well known and proven that it IS NOT true end to end encryption. for that you'll want an app like Threema.
    10-25-2013 06:28 PM
    There is a rather misconceived notion about BBM security. BlackBerry to BlackBerry over the same corporate server is very secure. That corporation controls the encryption keys and even BlackBerry Limited doesn't have access.

Once they go outside of that walled garden, BBM uses a generic encryption key that all devices use. It's still secure, but law enforcement can get the logs if needed.

Most people won't be able to intercept the communication, but they are only as secure as the server where they pass through.
    10-25-2013 07:15 PM
    There is a rather misconceived notion about BBM security. BlackBerry to BlackBerry over the same corporate server is very secure. That corporation controls the encryption keys and even BlackBerry Limited doesn't have access.

Once they go outside of that walled garden, BBM uses a generic encryption key that all devices use. It's still secure, but law enforcement can get the logs if needed.

Most people won't be able to intercept the communication, but they are only as secure as the server where they pass through.
    Pretty much the same for all of BlackBerry security really.. in short, if you're not on BES then you're not as secure as you could be.
    10-30-2013 07:19 AM