Why should I use BBM on my iOS device

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Bbm is great, and being a Canadian I hope blackberry does well as it is Canadian etc etc. BUT I find iMessage does everything I need it to do and more. I don't get the status updates, the picture beside the name, and all that stuff but I start every convo by asking what's up? So I get their status right away anyways. You wrote a nice post and you made a lot of valid points but it's just not something I could see me using all that much

Sent from my iPhone 5s

ukmight

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Not everything can work for everyone. Yo each his own. Like I have said, iMessage is also great. Just doesn't provide the cross platform advantage. But then again, if most of your friends are on iPhone, why bother.

Bbm is great, and being a Canadian I hope blackberry does well as it is Canadian etc etc. BUT I find iMessage does everything I need it to do and more. I don't get the status updates, the picture beside the name, and all that stuff but I start every convo by asking what's up? So I get their status right away anyways. You wrote a nice post and you made a lot of valid points but it's just not something I could see me using all that much

Sent from my iPhone 5s

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
... so what did you get paid for this?

I think your getting RIM confused with Samsung. ;)

I'm giving BBM an honest try. But I'm guessing it will suffer the same fate as my brief uses of What's App?, Kik, GroupMe, etc. I just don't message enough for it to be that useful so iMessages or just plain SMS works for when I need it. But we shall see.

I'm in the same boat.
I have an unlimited texting plan, but I only send a few dozen texts per month.
I have a folder full of IM apps that I rarely use.

Giving BBM for iOS an honest try, but it may end up in the same folder as the others.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The iMore BBM group is growing in numbers so much so that we are exceeding the group's 35 simultaneous connections limit. Whether you like it or not, BBM for non-Blackberry devices is the latest craze. I don't know anyone outside of the forums who uses BBM or a Blackberry, but that didn't stop me from testing it out, and I'm glad I did. I'm having a blast chatting with the community via the iMore BBM group and with my fellow moderators and ambassadors individually. Will it last? Maybe. Maybe not. I can always delete the app if I feel I no longer wish to use it. So why should you use BBM on your iOS device? Give it a try. You may find that you like it. If not, simply delete it from your device and move on.

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I can't think of a good reason, so it doesn't live here. Like me, all of my BBM buddies have moved on to other platforms. Don't really see the need to try to recreate the past.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm enjoying BBM for a reason I had no idea existed previously:

Events, photos, and task lists in group chats. Seriously, that is great. My fiance and I are planing a wedding and we were trying to figure out a service to get everyone on the same page. Glassboard doesn't have enough power and other collaboration apps want a monthly fee (which we won't get anyone on board for). If BBM can handle this well enough I'm sold for the next 14 months.

And if anyoe else has some other suggestions, PM me :p.

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Events, photos, and task lists in group chats. Seriously, that is great. My fiance and I are planing a wedding and we were trying to figure out a service to get everyone on the same page. Glassboard doesn't have enough power and other collaboration apps want a monthly fee (which we won't get anyone on board for). If BBM can handle this well enough I'm sold for the next 14 months.

Try whatsapp or groupme.

via Tapatalk

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site

Please be aware that there is a 30-35 member limit to BB groups (if you were thinking of that), also Windows Phones do not have BBM...

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Please be aware that there is a 30-35 member limit to BB groups (if you were thinking of that), also Windows Phones do not have BBM...

That's far larger than I'd need anyway. In only needing about 10-12 people in a group. If that.

And no one involved is using a Windows Phone. It's all Android and iOS for this wedding party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

seashell93

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
May give it a try...personally I use WhatsApp but maybe this will be fun too (but I only have one true BB friend left😳). lol

ghundiraj

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
That's far larger than I'd need anyway. In only needing about 10-12 people in a group. If that.

And no one involved is using a Windows Phone. It's all Android and iOS for this wedding party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Glad it works for you :)
Just wanted you to be aware before you planned around it :)

Have a happy wedding :)

ankush77

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
BBM is indeed a gold standard IM messenger which cannot be challenged,its robust, stable and you will see more great things to see like BBM channels and more possibilities in Mobile social messaging .

ankush77

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
In the end its your personal choice to choose BBM,but i request you all to see its goodness and try it once ,you will love it.

Sharma15

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I use BBM because it's the best IM experience on a mobile device. Canadians have always been big on BlackBerry and BBM soo when it came to other platforms instantly all my friends were on the waiting list (I was lucky enough to register early and didn't have to wait) to download BBM. Sure you can text or iMessage but BBM give you a more personalized feel to messaging. Having display pictures, setting a status message, the little D and R to show if the message has been delivered or read, and the best feature is group chats. Group chats have ability to create lists and events soo much easier. The only truly lacking feature in BBM is multiple photo sharing, but hopefully that feature will be added very soon.

At the end of the day, it's a messaging app and if you don't have people to message on it then don't use it. But it really does help you stay in touch with people better than all the other messaging apps out there.

Sent from my Twitter Machine running iOS 7 using Tapatalk.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I wish you the best with your upcoming wedding, and congratulations on your engagement...:)

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
This is a very well written post, Not for me anymore. I DON'T OWN A BB ANYMORE!:)

Just a small addition -- since it has gone cross-platform, iOS, Android AND BB users can communicate with each other regardless of the platform. It has undoubtedly improved since you had a BB imho. It is each person`s choice to try out new apps to see if it works for them. I`d encourage you to see what it`s like and whether you`d use it. If so, no problem. If not, no problem. :)

Xopher

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One of the interesting things that can be done with BBM is setting up a BBM Group for the family. The group calendar can come in handy for family events (although I use a separate Google calendar for that now), keeping them separate from personal or work calendars.

One of the things that we use our family group for is lists. We have a grocery list set up in our group. Any of us can add things to the grocery list (daughter's iPhone, wife's S3, my Note 2) and if shows up on everyone's device almost immediately. Whoever goes to the store has the list with them, and items checked off the list get checked off on everyone's phone. You can categorize list items and sorry them by category.

Along with the grocery list, we've added lists for the health shop, home items (Lowes/Home Depot), Honey-Do lists, weekly chores, and such. I can already see my wife making more lists in the near future.

If BBM had come out earlier, it would have been a lot easier for my wife and our daughter to organize things for her wedding. My wife did all the decorating and had to keep checking with her on what they already bought, what was still needed, and what they still needed to work on. I don't know how many times the two of them bought the same thing before calling each other.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have BBM on iOS and I'm trying to get all my friends to use it. I find it much better than Whatsapp, Kik and all the other messaging apps. Why? because it is simple to setup and you don't need to trade usernames or give people your number. It's a simple PIN and it's easy enough that I think my aunts and uncles could install and use this. The messaging apps out there have bits and bobs of features but there isn't one that is on as many platforms and offers group chat, transfer of images and other things, etc. My wife had an experience that is an example of why this is great. She sent a picture to her sister who uses an Android device. The problem was the message went as a text message and her sister doesn't have picture messaging on her plan. My wife is so used to iMessage that sending an image there isn't even a thought of it not getting there. The problem iMessage isn't cross platform. I used BBM to talk to my brother in the Cayman islands who is on a BB. It's way faster than FB messaging and has better features. I like it 👍

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen