... so what did you get paid for this?
    I think your getting RIM confused with Samsung.

I'm giving BBM an honest try. But I'm guessing it will suffer the same fate as my brief uses of What's App?, Kik, GroupMe, etc. I just don't message enough for it to be that useful so iMessages or just plain SMS works for when I need it. But we shall see.
    I'm in the same boat.
    I have an unlimited texting plan, but I only send a few dozen texts per month.
    I have a folder full of IM apps that I rarely use.

Giving BBM for iOS an honest try, but it may end up in the same folder as the others.
    ghundiraj likes this.
    10-24-2013 06:28 AM
    The iMore BBM group is growing in numbers so much so that we are exceeding the group's 35 simultaneous connections limit. Whether you like it or not, BBM for non-Blackberry devices is the latest craze. I don't know anyone outside of the forums who uses BBM or a Blackberry, but that didn't stop me from testing it out, and I'm glad I did. I'm having a blast chatting with the community via the iMore BBM group and with my fellow moderators and ambassadors individually. Will it last? Maybe. Maybe not. I can always delete the app if I feel I no longer wish to use it. So why should you use BBM on your iOS device? Give it a try. You may find that you like it. If not, simply delete it from your device and move on.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 10-24-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    10-24-2013 11:29 AM
    I can't think of a good reason, so it doesn't live here. Like me, all of my BBM buddies have moved on to other platforms. Don't really see the need to try to recreate the past.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.
    Just_Me_D, CDG and Jaguarr40 like this.
    10-24-2013 11:38 AM
    Why should I use strawberry jam over grape??

1. Taste
    2. Becau........

Oh wait, no one cares.
    GingerSnapsBack, Fausty82 and HAWK like this.
    10-24-2013 11:46 AM
    I'm enjoying BBM for a reason I had no idea existed previously:

Events, photos, and task lists in group chats. Seriously, that is great. My fiance and I are planing a wedding and we were trying to figure out a service to get everyone on the same page. Glassboard doesn't have enough power and other collaboration apps want a monthly fee (which we won't get anyone on board for). If BBM can handle this well enough I'm sold for the next 14 months.

And if anyoe else has some other suggestions, PM me :-p.
    Anilu7, pcguy514 and Chrisy like this.
    10-24-2013 12:20 PM

Events, photos, and task lists in group chats. Seriously, that is great. My fiance and I are planing a wedding and we were trying to figure out a service to get everyone on the same page. Glassboard doesn't have enough power and other collaboration apps want a monthly fee (which we won't get anyone on board for). If BBM can handle this well enough I'm sold for the next 14 months.

Try whatsapp or groupme.

via Tapatalk
    10-24-2013 12:27 PM

Please be aware that there is a 30-35 member limit to BB groups (if you were thinking of that), also Windows Phones do not have BBM...
    10-24-2013 12:57 PM
    Please be aware that there is a 30-35 member limit to BB groups (if you were thinking of that), also Windows Phones do not have BBM...
    That's far larger than I'd need anyway. In only needing about 10-12 people in a group. If that.

And no one involved is using a Windows Phone. It's all Android and iOS for this wedding party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    ghundiraj likes this.
    10-24-2013 01:04 PM
    May give it a try...personally I use WhatsApp but maybe this will be fun too (but I only have one true BB friend left&#128563. lol
    hamsterwheel likes this.
    10-24-2013 01:22 PM
    That's far larger than I'd need anyway. In only needing about 10-12 people in a group. If that.

And no one involved is using a Windows Phone. It's all Android and iOS for this wedding party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Glad it works for you
    Just wanted you to be aware before you planned around it

Have a happy wedding
    Good OL MC likes this.
    10-24-2013 02:09 PM
    BBM is indeed a gold standard IM messenger which cannot be challenged,its robust, stable and you will see more great things to see like BBM channels and more possibilities in Mobile social messaging .
    10-24-2013 02:16 PM
    In the end its your personal choice to choose BBM,but i request you all to see its goodness and try it once ,you will love it.
    10-24-2013 02:17 PM
    I use BBM because it's the best IM experience on a mobile device. Canadians have always been big on BlackBerry and BBM soo when it came to other platforms instantly all my friends were on the waiting list (I was lucky enough to register early and didn't have to wait) to download BBM. Sure you can text or iMessage but BBM give you a more personalized feel to messaging. Having display pictures, setting a status message, the little D and R to show if the message has been delivered or read, and the best feature is group chats. Group chats have ability to create lists and events soo much easier. The only truly lacking feature in BBM is multiple photo sharing, but hopefully that feature will be added very soon.

At the end of the day, it's a messaging app and if you don't have people to message on it then don't use it. But it really does help you stay in touch with people better than all the other messaging apps out there.

Sent from my Twitter Machine running iOS 7 using Tapatalk.
    pcguy514 and ghundiraj like this.
    10-24-2013 02:53 PM

I wish you the best with your upcoming wedding, and congratulations on your engagement...
    Good OL MC likes this.
    10-24-2013 02:59 PM
    This is a very well written post, Not for me anymore. I DON'T OWN A BB ANYMORE!
    Just a small addition -- since it has gone cross-platform, iOS, Android AND BB users can communicate with each other regardless of the platform. It has undoubtedly improved since you had a BB imho. It is each person`s choice to try out new apps to see if it works for them. I`d encourage you to see what it`s like and whether you`d use it. If so, no problem. If not, no problem.
    Jaguarr40 and ghundiraj like this.
    10-24-2013 03:51 PM
    One of the interesting things that can be done with BBM is setting up a BBM Group for the family. The group calendar can come in handy for family events (although I use a separate Google calendar for that now), keeping them separate from personal or work calendars.

One of the things that we use our family group for is lists. We have a grocery list set up in our group. Any of us can add things to the grocery list (daughter's iPhone, wife's S3, my Note 2) and if shows up on everyone's device almost immediately. Whoever goes to the store has the list with them, and items checked off the list get checked off on everyone's phone. You can categorize list items and sorry them by category.

Along with the grocery list, we've added lists for the health shop, home items (Lowes/Home Depot), Honey-Do lists, weekly chores, and such. I can already see my wife making more lists in the near future.

If BBM had come out earlier, it would have been a lot easier for my wife and our daughter to organize things for her wedding. My wife did all the decorating and had to keep checking with her on what they already bought, what was still needed, and what they still needed to work on. I don't know how many times the two of them bought the same thing before calling each other.
    pcguy514, Trees and ghundiraj like this.
    10-24-2013 04:08 PM
    I have BBM on iOS and I'm trying to get all my friends to use it. I find it much better than Whatsapp, Kik and all the other messaging apps. Why? because it is simple to setup and you don't need to trade usernames or give people your number. It's a simple PIN and it's easy enough that I think my aunts and uncles could install and use this. The messaging apps out there have bits and bobs of features but there isn't one that is on as many platforms and offers group chat, transfer of images and other things, etc. My wife had an experience that is an example of why this is great. She sent a picture to her sister who uses an Android device. The problem was the message went as a text message and her sister doesn't have picture messaging on her plan. My wife is so used to iMessage that sending an image there isn't even a thought of it not getting there. The problem iMessage isn't cross platform. I used BBM to talk to my brother in the Cayman islands who is on a BB. It's way faster than FB messaging and has better features. I like it 👍

Sent from my Space Grey iPhone 5s
    10-24-2013 05:43 PM
    mainly due to nostalgia
    10-24-2013 06:35 PM
    It works when you know the other persons PIN number - the glitch has always been for me that if they change devices it doesn't work. I'm fine with iMessage and Viber.
    Not true, with BBID, the contact updates as soon as they sign into a new device. The pin changes silently. This was only the case back in 2008/9 before BBID came out.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-24-2013 07:13 PM
    Alot of replies saying that they are "good with iMessage and X" or with "kik and X" and the thing that came to mind was why are you using two apps to do what you can do with one? If your system works then fine i mean my Motorola Razr worked well before and after the iPhone introduced so I didnt change it till i had too.
    10-24-2013 08:37 PM
    So you keep telling everyone...... repeatedly LOL.
    and will continue until they stop asking. I have the same right to my opinion and answer as anyone else and it is nothing bad. Just an answer. Sorry that it bothers you Chris.
    10-24-2013 09:11 PM
    The iMore BBM group is growing in numbers so much so that we are exceeding the group's 35 simultaneous connections limit. Whether you like it or not, BBM for non-Blackberry devices is the latest craze. I don't know anyone outside of the forums who uses BBM or a Blackberry, but that didn't stop me from testing it out, and I'm glad I did. I'm having a blast chatting with the community via the iMore BBM group and with my fellow moderators and ambassadors individually. Will it last? Maybe. Maybe not. I can always delete the app if I feel I no longer wish to use it. So why should you use BBM on your iOS device? Give it a try. You may find that you like it. If not, simply delete it from your device and move on.
    'D I totally get what you are saying and especially with what I bolded but I am still entitlted to my opinion and I never once spoke down on BBM. I only voiced my opinion on what native app gets me by and nothing esle.
    I can't think of a good reason, so it doesn't live here. Like me, all of my BBM buddies have moved on to other platforms. Don't really see the need to try to recreate the past.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away via Tapatalk.
    This is exactly what I am saying and have said it no more than Fausty but Chris seems to want to remind me about how many times i have said something. Thank you for the reminder but MY past is MY past and it is with BBM, That's all and this is not to be taken badly. End of my conversation about BBM ok?
    10-24-2013 09:19 PM
    'D I totally get what you are saying and especially with what I bolded but I am still entitlted to my opinion and I never once spoke down on BBM. I only voiced my opinion on what native app gets me by and nothing esle.

This is exactly what I am saying and have said it no more than Fausty but Chris seems to want to remind me about how many times i have said something. Thank you for the reminder but MY past is MY past and it is with BBM, That's all and this is not to be taken badly. End of my conversation about BBM ok?
    Oh come on Jag, please tell us more! (Yup, just me being a smart A$$!). I may try it just for giggles...who knows maybe it will result in a happy dance!😉
    10-24-2013 09:22 PM
    Thank you everyone for your concern to my using BBM and why I should use it or at last try it. This is not a sarcastic answer in any way but I as stated would like to just stick where I am by using my Native app on my iPhone, Nothing more or less. It works for me and i don't need to try it. I did that dance for many years at CB and i am simply moving on and so before i get accused again of talking to much about it I will finish here and let it stand where I want to stay. Thank you.
    ghundiraj and Ipheuria like this.
    10-24-2013 09:33 PM
    is that why i can't join the group?
    10-24-2013 09:35 PM
65 123