BBM Release Date?

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Here's my rub with the whole situation. If 1.1m people downloaded the leaked apk, albeit an older version, and that crashed their servers, what would have happened if they actually launched it on time to iOS and Android the following day? What difference would 24 hours really have made? Even if you completely throw out the leaked apk, lets say it never happened, I just can't see how one day would have changed anything as to how Blackberry reacted to the load on the servers. They still would have buckled and crashed.

My honest opinion is this, even if the leak wouldn't have happened, Blackberry would have pulled the app because of the pressure from the rollout. They were not ready. The leak gave them an excuse to stall the launch even further.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's my rub with the whole situation. If 1.1m people downloaded the leaked apk, albeit an older version, and that crashed their servers, what would have happened if they actually launched it on time to iOS and Android the following day? What difference would 24 hours really have made? Even if you completely throw out the leaked apk, lets say it never happened, I just can't see how one day would have changed anything as to how Blackberry reacted to the load on the servers. They still would have buckled and crashed.

My honest opinion is this, even if the leak wouldn't have happened, Blackberry would have pulled the app because of the pressure from the rollout. They were not ready. The leak gave them an excuse to stall the launch even further.

According to some of the stuff I read, the issue wasn’t the leak as much as what was leaked... supposedly the leaked version was an early, non-tuned and/or buggy issue that caused undue strain on the BB server environment... but I am highly suspicious of all of that... and to a point, tend to agree that BB simply wasn’t ready, but couldn’t NOT release as scheduled... this IMHO was a face-saving game. Of course, I have no proof...

Judson50

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
By the way, does anybody know if BBM on iOS will be just as secure going through the BlackBerry network? Or will it be like any other IM app?

Cobrajett

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
By the way, does anybody know if BBM on iOS will be just as secure going through the BlackBerry network? Or will it be like any other IM app?

Secure as used on a BB device. Messaging is handle through BB NOC. Users are identified by their BBID rather than by their cell number. I was able to install prior to BB pulling it and it works great. No voice or video yet and no announcement that that will come to multi-platform but I am sure it will.

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Secure as used on a BB device. Messaging is handle through BB NOC. Users are identified by their BBID rather than by their cell number. I was able to install prior to BB pulling it and it works great. No voice or video yet and no announcement that that will come to multi-platform but I am sure it will.

it will come for sure, but will it be a free upgrade, that's the question ;)

mrb666

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Becoming Ridiculous now ! If BlackBerry are going to release bbm for iPhone I wish they would just do it!!!

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone really think that BlackBerry would release a good product on time? They haven't released a good product or met a release date since, I don't know, about 2009.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree. At this point most people are just going to forget about it and not even bother downloading it if it ever comes out. That company is doomed

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. At this point most people are just going to forget about it and not even bother downloading it if it ever comes out. That company is doomed

I'll agree that the delay to release the BBM app is not helping the company....:)

si001

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
They have shot themselves in the foot so many times it's not even funny anymore.
But I disagree that people are not even going to bother downloading it when it comes out, the d/l numbers for the fake app on the playtstore are amazing lol. (it's also amazing that it's so easy to put a fake app on playstore)

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Possibly. But this is taking a long time to release. I thought they just needed to increase servers. Shouldn't take this long!

mrb666

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It's really a crying shame. BlackBerry was a leader in smart phones at one point. It's sad to see them collapse. If only they looked at the market and worked towards bringing something out that would sit in a particular sector.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It's really a crying shame. BlackBerry was a leader in smart phones at one point. It's sad to see them collapse. If only they looked at the market and worked towards bringing something out that would sit in a particular sector.

Totally agree. I have owned multiple Blackberries in my day. Sad to see them fall apart so quickly.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Totally agree. I have owned multiple Blackberries in my day. Sad to see them fall apart so quickly.

As a die-hard Blackberry "fanboy" like I was, I'm in total agreement with you, however, they were too late to the changing landscape and underestimated their grip on the corporate sector as well as the appeal of the iPhone, in particular.

Bosox20

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
As a die-hard Blackberry "fanboy" like I was, I'm in total agreement with you, however, they were too late to the changing landscape and underestimated their grip on the corporate sector as well as the appeal of the iPhone, in particular.

I completely agree!! They were too "corporate" focused and lost sight of the everyday user! They didn't envision corporate employees being able to use their personal iPhones for work ( like I do). Bad vision all around. They will be done in less than two years. I have sympathy for the employees who will be affected. I hate to see people lose their jobs because of bad management.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree!! They were too "corporate" focused and lost sight of the everyday user! They didn't envision corporate employees being able to use their personal iPhones for work ( like I do). Bad vision all around. They will be done in less than two years. I have sympathy for the employees who will be affected. I hate to see people lose their jobs because of bad management.

I understood why they focused on what was essentially their bread and butter. I'd like to think that most businesses wouldn't want to risk losing its core base. I know I wouldn't. However, when the iPhone was introduced and made such a huge splash in this industry, someone at RIM should have started thinking outside the box and paying close attention to Apple and the changing smartphone landscape especially after witnessing the runaway success that Apple attained with the iPod. Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, right...:)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods