BBM Going Cross Platform - Will You Use It?

Will you be using BBM on iOS?

• Yes!

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I'll give it a try, not sure if I will fully switch to it.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AndroidFresh

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I most likely will download it. I've had a few BBs and to be honest aside from the physical keyboard bbm was the only reason I had them at the time. I agree rim should have done this years ago to compete with the group messaging apps already out but I will give it a try, I'm currently a kik user though.

Kriilin Namek

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to use it. I have friends on iOS, Android and BB. I refuse SMS messages from anyone except those who still have a dumb phone. The telcos in Canada rip you off, and I see no point in paying for SMS when I have data.

Dennisgarcia

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes! Definitely will be downloading bbm. Loved it when I had the blackberry storm and not a big fan of what's app. So bbm would be pretty sick to use with all my iPhone android and blackberry friends :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) for iOS submitted to App Store, waiting on approval | iMore

BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) for iOS submitted to App Store, waiting on approval

By Rene Ritchie, Friday, Sep 6, 2013 a 5:29 pm

iMore_BBM.jpg

BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), once the crack in crack-berry, is going multi-platform this month, including iOS and Android. While no firm release date has been set, BlackBerry's Alex Kinsella has just stated that BBM for iOS has already been submitted to the App Store. Twitter:
Just in case we forgot to mention, BBM for iPhone was submitted for review 2 wks ago. #waiting #BBM4ALL
Apple approved Google's Hangouts, Facebook Messenger, the indie WhatsApp, and a plethora of other instant messaging clients, so there shouldn't be a problem with the core concept. If BlackBerry is trying anything fancy, like screen sharing, that could complicate review. So could any issues related to this being their first iOS app, unlike other major competitors who've gotten past their first, painful app launches and settled into the App Store groove.
Either way, we should be getting it soon. Anyone itching to start BBM'ing from their iPhone?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I remember my BB days way too well and the always on can't turn it off deal. I know there are ways of getting around. All I can remember that I will never forget is pure battery drain and for that reason I will not be downloading or trying or using BBM in any way at all.

I have way too many friends to use iMessage and yes even SMS on and don't have the need to wonder what I already know about BBM. It might be for some but not for me. :)

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking forward to giving it a spin! I loved it when I had a BB and carried slot of my bbm friends to gtalk, yahoo, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mrb666

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Like others, I will try it out but with the speed of email, free standard texting and that old fashioned thing of actually using a mobile phone to call, I don't really see the massive gain

Does anyone know when it's to be released??

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Like others, I will try it out but with the speed of email, free standard texting and that old fashioned thing of actually using a mobile phone to call, I don't really see the massive gain

Does anyone know when it's to be released??

Apparently it's sitting and waiting for Apple to approve it. I'm guessing it'll be when iOS 7 releases.

cgr1971

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
The nicest thing to me about BBM over Whatsapp or imessage is the delivery and read notifications. For those that have never used BBM, if you send a BBM to someone and their phone is off or in airplane mode, the message will not show a "D" next to it and you know it hasn't made it to their phone yet. Once it makes it to their phone it will show the "D" and you know the message is there on their phone. Once they read it, it shows a "R" instead of the "D" and you know they read it.

Brushing BBM off simply because it is a BlackBerry app is silly, it is really good.

Imessage is nice when texting someone with another iPhone since it uses data instead of SMS, but it still doesn't give a delivered or read notification. I am on Verizon and have an old account and only have 250 text messages a month for $5. Unlimited texting would be $20 a month and not worth it to me when I am paying a data package. If I switch to a share everything plan with unlimited talk or text I will go from 2G of data to 1G of data per month for the same price.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The nicest thing to me about BBM over Whatsapp or imessage is the delivery and read notifications. For those that have never used BBM, if you send a BBM to someone and their phone is off or in airplane mode, the message will not show a "D" next to it and you know it hasn't made it to their phone yet. Once it makes it to their phone it will show the "D" and you know the message is there on their phone. Once they read it, it shows a "R" instead of the "D" and you know they read it.

I hated that. Absolutely hated that feature.

I hated being badgered for hours on end when I read a message but didn't have time to respond right away.

And yeah, iMessage does give a read notification. It's not just BBM.

SneakySnufflez

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I hated that. Absolutely hated that feature.

I hated being badgered for hours on end when I read a message but didn't have time to respond right away.

And yeah, iMessage does give a read notification. It's not just BBM.

iMessage gives you the option to disable read receipt. Bbm doesn't. That's why I love it 😊 lol

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app😊

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
iMessage gives you the option to disable read receipt. Bbm doesn't. That's why I love it �� lol

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app��

The problem with pointing to BBM as it was on a blackberry device is that it's a different animal. Going cross platform involves tradeoffs, less control, and usually a less featured/fragmented experience.

It would be the same if Apple took iMessage cross platform. It wouldn't be the iMessage you know on those other platforms.

jonty12

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The other, often overlooked, feature that makes BBM so useful is the groups functionality - group chat, lists, and calendar. Yes, you can get that functionality in other apps, but with BBM it's all in one place. The ability to use groups to organize family, friends, teams, workgroups, using lists (including assigning items and checking off completion), group calendar, and discussion (including file sharing) becomes indispensible once you start using it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73