BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgmt via the iMore Blog

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer

So one could only deduce that this is a way for iPhone users to communicate to their loyal BB friends via BBM...because i can't, for the life of me, understand why someone would use this as opposed to iMessage amongst iOS devices.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

A very ballsy move by BlackBerry. They have the potential to become THE cross platform communication client if they can integrate the native BBM features like video chat and screen share into it quickly.

Sean, I think the key here is it's cross platform. I agree, there's no point really for it when it comes to iOS to iOS communication, especially given that iMessage and Facetime is cross iOS device. It's like there not being a use for WhatsApp when I'm messaging another BlackBerry user when there's BBM. But this allows for iOS, Android, and BlackBerry users to communicate with each other, which if the popularity of WhatsApp on the App Store is any indication, is something users are looking for.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Personally, it just seems like another step in the direction of Blackberry's swan song...the kind of realization that they are not going to be able to compete at the top of the smart phone food chain, so they need to make the environment as usable as possible for the BB loyal to prevent them from jumping ship and moving to another platform (or at least slow the bleed a little).

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

A very ballsy move by BlackBerry. They have the potential to become THE cross platform communication client if they can integrate the native BBM features like video chat and screen share into it quickly.

Sean, I think the key here is it's cross platform. I agree, there's no point really for it when it comes to iOS to iOS communication, especially given that iMessage and Facetime is cross iOS device. It's like there not being a use for WhatsApp when I'm messaging another BlackBerry user when there's BBM. But this allows for iOS, Android, and BlackBerry users to communicate with each other, which if the popularity of WhatsApp on the App Store is any indication, is something users are looking for.

Perhaps, but why bother buying a blackberry now? BB's primary business is selling phones. How does this help do that? It helps the competition out more.

You can count on every BB user having BBM, but the reverse isn't true. Most other users won't have BBM, have never heard of it, and won't download it. BB just gave those really into BB another reason to leave.

As Rene pointed out, Apple's competitors love making iOS apps. But most of them aren't really direct competitors. Amazon is ecommerce. Google is search, info, and ads. MS is software. Those apps help their primary businesses.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgm

I haven't used BBM in ages so I can't speak to the quality of the app or service, but if it is a well designed and well rounded app for BB10, iOS, and Android I could easily see myself making the switch to it if I can get enough people to go over.

iMessage is only for iOS, Google Talk has no first party iOS client, and it's to easy for people I don't want to converse with to get in touch with me on Facebook Messenger. WhatsApp has no adoption among my circle but BBM has been used amongst my friends when BBs were popular so it may have enough name recognition to take hold.

I'll try it. If it sucks I'll delete it. Easy as that.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgm

I think it's a little too late for it to be a success. Most of the people I know have moved on to either the iPhone or an Android device. Furthermore, a majority of smartphone plans include unlimited text messaging, at least here in the U.S., which renders the need for in-house messaging apps somewhat moot with the exception of videos, in my opinion.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

a few years too late?

hilarious. all of my friends who had blackberry devices switched to alternate devices by now

hasn't everyone?..

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Perhaps, but why bother buying a blackberry now? BB's primary business is selling phones. How does this help do that? It helps the competition out more.

This is why i was a bit confused initially reading the article, but honestly, it kind of defines the fact that even Blackberry see's the end of any market relevance, and they are now in protect mode when it comes to their existing users...they have to make their environment as usable as possible so their existing consumer base doesn't leave for another platform, and what better way to do this than giving them a way to converse easily with the top of the food chain.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

I think everyone assumes Blackberry is a dead service. While it had been at the bottom in the US it was still very near the top or was the top in other countries. Blackberry is not so close to be being bankrupt and failing as so many of you think, that they are singing a swan song. No, on the contrary, I believe putting BBM cross platform will help keep users on BB as you have pointed out, but also get old users back to BB after the realize how much more amazing BBM is now than it was before. Those BB fans will want to at least try out a Z10 or Q10 and may jump back. I also think Blackberry realizes that many iOS users are so deeply integrated and rooted into the Apple ecosystem that they can't easily make a platform switch or simply refuse to try. BBM cross platform isn't the end, it's a compromise.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I also remember when I was a BB user and used BBM it was either on or you did not have it installed but once you were logged in you had no choices and you were always bombarded with your friends list sending out messages that you received ALL the time if you were included in the group or on their list. It ran batteries down and heated the device. I eventually just deleted BBM and stopped using it.

At least with IOS when I get an SMS or iMessage I can choose when to take it, open it. read it, respond to it etc.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

The brilliant thing about iMessage is that you don't have to worry about what device is on the other end. You just send your text and it gets to the recipient. I stopped using WhatsApp for a number of reasons, the least of which is I never knew who had it installed. The same will be true of BBM. Why would I bother opening a 3rd party app (trying to remember who uses a BB and who has BBM installed on nonBB devices) when I can just send a text.

Video and audio nonono.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

So one could only deduce that this is a way for iPhone users to communicate to their loyal BB friends via BBM...because i can't, for the life of me, understand why someone would use this as opposed to iMessage amongst iOS devices.

You beat me to it. I can't think of a reason why I'd need BBM on my phone but I'm sure there are people out there who will welcome the news. The last person I knew with a BB got an iPhone5 last week.

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

No, on the contrary, I believe putting BBM cross platform will help keep users on BB as you have pointed out, but also get old users back to BB after the realize how much more amazing BBM is now than it was before. Those BB fans will want to at least try out a Z10 or Q10 and may jump back.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Until BB gets the app library iOS and Android have, no. Just no. It won't make me want to come back, BBM or not.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

I have no ambition or desire to have BBM on what would normally be on a BB device. I prefer to have the messaging that I have now and nothing else. This does me just fine for SMS or iMessage.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site

If it's more reliable than iMessage I will use it.

projectman

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

The brilliant thing about iMessage is that you don't have to worry about what device is on the other end. You just send your text and it gets to the recipient. I stopped using WhatsApp for a number of reasons, the least of which is I never knew who had it installed. The same will be true of BBM. Why would I bother opening a 3rd party app (trying to remember who uses a BB and who has BBM installed on nonBB devices) when I can just send a text.

Video and audio nonono.

I used BBM when I was stuck in the BB world (work related thing) and I did not have to worry about what app others were using. It worked the same as iMessage (tapping into BBM or text regardless of device). In fact, there were features that made it a bit more convenient than iMessage currently allows. That being said, I haven't missed it...much. Might be interesting to see how it looks and works. Deletion is always an option. :)

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site

That's ok, no thanks, didn't like it when I had a BB, I will still with iMessage thank you.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Meh, I don't know anyone with a BB anymore. All my friends and family are on iPhone. Only a few on android.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen