If BBM can be used like iMessage and can text to any recipient whether they have an i-device or not can make all the difference. If the recipient, like with WhatsApp has to have it installed then it won't be more than a test app in my regard.
    'D surely being an ex BB user like most of us must remember what BBM was like especially with group joins not to mention just individuals that you had PIN #s for. Remember you can never turn it off, It is always on getting constant notifications from people that you know that they know that knows them and so on. Like so many that are still at CB and many of my friends will tell you the one killer is called the battery. It just wipes it out and makes the device warm. I am totally happy with one message service and have no need for anything other than what I have now.
    05-16-2013 07:58 PM
    You know, I don't think the platform is trying to challenge either IOS or android because it is clearly not a competition that they can win, at this point. In my opinion, the hardware is fine. BlackBerry's problem is a lack of wide consumer interest and developer commitment to the platform. Also, BlackBerry isn't in a hole, financially speaking. The issue is they don't have the popularity among neither consumers nor developers that they need to compete with the top two platforms. Considering this, I think their best chance lies in disrupting the status quo (which is what I think they are attempting to do with BBM), improve their badly damaged image, and innovate so that will be able to compete in the space that the market will be in a few years. Ideally, they will survive and be competitive at that point. The thing is, they have to figure out how to generate enough revenue to survive until then.
    If they weren't trying to compete with them, why make a smart phone in the design field of those phones? Not to say you're wrong, because honestly, none of us here really know what Blackberry is doing behind the scenes, but it seems to me that they saw the consumer market was leaving them in the dust, so they had to make a competitor...and the Z10 is a decent enough phone, it has great features, some decent development and has legitimately brought BB to the table again, i just don't think they did enough to catch up at all, much less compete. As you said, they have a badly damaged image, and i think their BBM app is actually going to regress their attempts at moving forward by keeping people on other platforms from actually looking at the newest blackberry devices because they can just use BBM on their iPhone, or Galaxy S or Note (etc.).

I really hope Blackberry's next device release is just mind blowing...i doubt it will be, but i hope it is so the whole market gets a jolt from the lower end of the spectrum.
    HartfordWhalers likes this.
    05-16-2013 08:11 PM
    If they weren't trying to compete with them, why make a smart phone in the design field of those phones? Not to say you're wrong, because honestly, none of us here really know what Blackberry is doing behind the scenes, but it seems to me that they saw the consumer market was leaving them in the dust, so they had to make a competitor...and the Z10 is a decent enough phone, it has great features, some decent development and has legitimately brought BB to the table again, i just don't think they did enough to catch up at all, much less compete. As you said, they have a badly damaged image, and i think their BBM app is actually going to regress their attempts at moving forward by keeping people on other platforms from actually looking at the newest blackberry devices because they can just use BBM on their iPhone, or Galaxy S or Note (etc.).

I really hope Blackberry's next device release is just mind blowing...i doubt it will be, but i hope it is so the whole market gets a jolt from the lower end of the spectrum.
    I agree and while their next phone will be much better than the Z10, it won't make much of a difference to the overwhelming majority of people on iOS and android. I don't think they necessarily made the Z10 to look like the iPhone and high-end android phones, though. I just think that when you are making a full touch smartphone, there aren't a whole lot of ways to innovate, differentiate and make a user-friendly phone within a similar price range. This is especially true for a company with limited financial resources. I also think that making BBM a cross platform messenger is a great idea, but they are late to the party. They could've dominated a few years ago, but other companies have caught up to a large degree. Also, BBM has become a bit irrelevant to people that are used to other alternatives. However, with those things considered, it is still a good idea. In my opinion, BBM is still arguably the best messenger for mobile communications, but it will be an issue of if it can become relevant again. BlackBerry is likely to gain more value by providing a cross platform service than by keeping BBM only on BlackBerry. BBM is useless to people without anyone to chat with (I know about it first-hand). The caveat is that if it is poorly executed, as BB has somewhat of a reputation for, all bets are off.
    05-16-2013 08:50 PM
    I know a few days ago I was excited about BBM for iOS, but why should I care now? Google just introduced Hangouts for iOS. It's everything I was looking for in a non-Apple messaging app and only requires G+ - which can be easily activated by anyone with a Gmail. No evangelizing required to get friends signed up.

Even more uphill battle for BBM now. Plus, Google released it's service the same day it announced it. Blackberry needs until the summer?

I wanted to give it a shot, but now? Meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    05-16-2013 10:19 PM
    I see a lot of people using BBM (because most of us have used blackberry in the past and if you have, you know BBM is the beezneez), but I do not see people going back to blackberry phones because of this. Blackberry has waited way too long to update their OS, they should've done BB10 years ago, but they sat on their asses and let their customers go to android and iOS
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    05-20-2013 02:31 AM
    So one could only deduce that this is a way for iPhone users to communicate to their loyal BB friends via BBM...because i can't, for the life of me, understand why someone would use this as opposed to iMessage amongst iOS devices.
    BBM has a ton more functions than iMessage....hands down
    05-20-2013 04:40 PM
    'D surely being an ex BB user like most of us must remember what BBM was like especially with group joins not to mention just individuals that you had PIN #s for. Remember you can never turn it off, It is always on getting constant notifications from people that you know that they know that knows them and so on. Like so many that are still at CB and many of my friends will tell you the one killer is called the battery. It just wipes it out and makes the device warm. I am totally happy with one message service and have no need for anything other than what I have now.
    I so agree with the one messaging app....who wants to be checking BBM and iMessage and etc. I don't think this is a game changer at all.
    05-20-2013 04:43 PM
    I have nothing against BBM, however, I will continue to use iMessage as it meets my messaging needs well and I see no reason to add anything else at this point in time. It will however be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    05-20-2013 07:40 PM
    There are a number of my BB friends who did not transition to another cross platform messaging app. I had several groups on there, and used the app quite frequently. One of the feature I know many like on it is the D/R indicator, which confirmed that the message and been delivered, and whether it had been read.

Also, because it is a data app and doesn't use text messages, it is quite efficient, also, for being able to chat with friends around the world without international text charges. I had contacts in Australia, India, Pakistan, England, Ireland, and Canada, as well as South Africa. It was a great way to communicate.
    The most well thought out post I've read in a long time. Thanks for your insight.

Full disclosure, yes I use a BlackBerry now but I have used imessage on the Apple platform and have been an apple user for quite some time. I can't put my finger on it and can't illustrate the benefits of BBM as eloquently as you Bergerking but there is something inherently nice about BBM that I have not yet found on any substitution text app.
    05-20-2013 08:37 PM
    BBM has a ton more functions than iMessage....hands down
    But those functions are severely limited by the number of people who still use BBM.
    05-21-2013 01:55 PM
    But those functions are severely limited by the number of people who still use BBM.
    You mean the 77 million? LOL yes I agree but cross platform will increase those numbers.
    05-26-2013 10:25 AM
    Several things:

1. BBM is way better now than it was before when BlackBerrys were popular, with more far more features than before.

2. BBM (should many people choose to adopt it) will consolidate several apps into one ie. Skype, messaging, Twitter, facebook...

3. BBM makes sharing photos, videos, and any other types of files way quicker and easier than e-mail, text, or whatever other service you may use currently.

The one thing it has going against it is the negative perception. It will be THE best app for messaging, video chat and such but everyone is so deeply rooted in their belief that it is sh*t.

Will be interesting to see how it fares. I would love to have all my friends back on BBM as communicating outside of it seems so tedious.
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    08-07-2013 09:11 AM
    ^ I doubt I'll be able to convince anyone to try anything BB puts out. Most of the people I know were former BB users who got burned and won't go back no matter what.
    08-07-2013 09:46 AM
    Several things:

1. BBM is way better now than it was before when BlackBerrys were popular, with more far more features than before.

2. BBM (should many people choose to adopt it) will consolidate several apps into one ie. Skype, messaging, Twitter, facebook...

3. BBM makes sharing photos, videos, and any other types of files way quicker and easier than e-mail, text, or whatever other service you may use currently.
    When I used only Blackberry devices, I was a big time BBM user, however, the things that it can now do are all fine and dandy, but will those things be available and run as smoothly on iOS devices as it does on Blackberry devices?

The one thing it has going against it is the negative perception. It will be THE best app for messaging, video chat and such but everyone is so deeply rooted in their belief that it is sh*t.
    In regard to the "negative perception", many of us do not know of anyone who still uses Blackberry devices. Furthermore, the iMessage and WhatsApp app satisfies our messaging needs. That is not giving BBM a bad perception. It's reality.

Will be interesting to see how it fares. I would love to have all my friends back on BBM as communicating outside of it seems so tedious.
    I agree, and hopefully, a lot of people will want to at least try it out when it is released.
    mikeo007, Deanig_12 and FFR like this.
    08-07-2013 09:53 AM
    If you're worried about getting notifications from groups, you can turn those off. How is BBM "always being on" an issue? You can't stop people from texting you can you?
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    08-07-2013 10:38 AM
    You mean the 77 million? LOL yes I agree but cross platform will increase those numbers.
    It was down to 50 million as of April, and that number is dropping fast. Hence blackberry needs iOS and android to inflate bbm metrics.
    08-07-2013 11:12 AM
    It was down to 50 million as of April, and that number is dropping fast. Hence blackberry needs iOS and android to inflate bbm metrics.
    Source?
    08-07-2013 01:41 PM
    They dropped four million subscribers over the quarter. The total subscriber count stands at 72 million, down from 76 million in Q4 2013, and 79 million in Q3 2013.
    08-07-2013 02:17 PM
    BBM sucks.
    08-07-2013 06:26 PM
    Source?
    Blackberry made the announcement.
    08-08-2013 10:31 AM
    Blackberry made the announcement.
    http://press.blackberry.com/content/...ss_Release.pdf

Here I was thinking they had 76 million as of March 28th...a 26 million drop in 3 days is pretty crazy.
    08-08-2013 11:56 AM
    http://press.blackberry.com/content/...ss_Release.pdf

Here I was thinking they had 76 million as of March 28th...a 26 million drop in 3 days is pretty crazy.

As far as blackberry discloses, Blackberry subscriber does not equal bbm user

With that said, Blackberry is in a lot of trouble. Their marketshare is plummeting and BB 10 looks to be a flop. On the other hand iPhone sales have increased 40% yoy in the March to June quarter.

From 2012:
    "RIM Bleeding BBM Users, From a High Of 75 Million Down To 55 Million Today"

http://www.gizmofusion.com/2012/05/r...million-today/

From 2013

51 million daily bbm users ,

51 million users connect with friends and colleague on BBM for an average of 90 minutes every day and more than 10 billion messages are sent and received every day."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/b...7lXEo8duyEk.99
    08-08-2013 02:20 PM
72 123