BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgmt via the iMore Blog

Jaggernaut

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgm

It's way too late! BBM was big at the time BlackBerry was big, just like now iMessage is "only" supported by iPhone owners.
The future of messaging belong to device agnostic services like WhatsApp!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer and BES gets iOS Device Mgm

I hope people aren't offended. I'm sure a lot of people will download it just to see what it's like, and I more than likely will, too, but unless the people I normally associate with adapt to using it in lieu of iMessage or another preferred messaging app since they are no longer Blackberry device users, I doubt I'll find it useful. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Well like I had previously stated I did not get the impression that anyone was offended, It has it's good points and bad as I am sure to certain people iMessage does too. Personally I can remember BBM very well and why I never used it when I owned a BB. That does not make anyone here voicing opinions right or wrong about anything. Merely stating opinions is a good thing and gets people talking and that is the main purpose of this thread to begin with.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Well like I had previously stated I did not get the impression that anyone was offended, It has it's good points and bad as I am sure to certain people iMessage does too. Personally I can remember BBM very well and why I never used it when I owned a BB. That does not make anyone here voicing opinions right or wrong about anything. Merely stating opinions is a good thing and gets people talking and that is the main purpose of this thread to begin with.

IMHO, it’s too little, way too late. When I switched to the iOS platform back in 2010, I was desperate for a platform like BBM that would allow for group chats with family and friends who were still on the BB platform, as well as those who had moved on to iOS and Android. At the time, the family was 14 users, all on the BB platform. Then a couple switched to iOS... eventually everyone left the BB platform and are currently split 13-2 in favor of iOS over Android. I just don’t see the need these days. iMessage is more than enough. (We don’t talk to the Android users in our family, anyway!) :)

I may download it just out of some morbid curiosity... I do want to see how it works... but very doubtful that I will have a real need to use it.

ELavar

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Re: VIA iMore Blog: BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) coming to iOS this summer

Personally, it just seems like another step in the direction of Blackberry's swan song...the kind of realization that they are not going to be able to compete at the top of the smart phone food chain, so they need to make the environment as usable as possible for the BB loyal to prevent them from jumping ship and moving to another platform (or at least slow the bleed a little).

I'm not sure about that. I think it's a direct attack on WhatsApp. I've obviously used both and I prefer BBM hands down. Considering the fact that WhatsApp has proved than cross-platform messaging can be profitable, BlackBerry needs to provide a better solution and get adoption in order to accomplish their ultimate goal, which I think is generating additional revenue for the platform.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure about that. I think it's a direct attack on WhatsApp. I've obviously used both and I prefer BBM hands down. Considering the fact that WhatsApp has proved than cross-platform messaging can be profitable, BlackBerry needs to provide a better solution and get adoption in order to accomplish their ultimate goal, which I think is generating additional revenue for the platform.

If BBM can be used like iMessage and can text to any recipient whether they have an i-device or not can make all the difference. If the recipient, like with WhatsApp has to have it installed then it won't be more than a test app in my regard.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Too little...too late. If they feel an app whose ultimate challenge is "WhatsApp" is going to generate the kind of revenue they need to survive this freshman attempt at challenging the iPhone and Samsung's offerings, they are in for a world of hurt. Sure, it will certainly give the existing user base something profoundly better than what they had, but let's be honest, BBM on multiple platforms isn't going to drive significant traffic to the company to the extent they need to pull themselves out of the hole they were in when the Z10 hit the market, they need their hardware to make major ripples on the market, and so far, that hasn't happened...

ELavar

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Too little...too late. If they feel an app whose ultimate challenge is "WhatsApp" is going to generate the kind of revenue they need to survive this freshman attempt at challenging the iPhone and Samsung's offerings, they are in for a world of hurt. Sure, it will certainly give the existing user base something profoundly better than what they had, but let's be honest, BBM on multiple platforms isn't going to drive significant traffic to the company to the extent they need to pull themselves out of the hole they were in when the Z10 hit the market, they need their hardware to make major ripples on the market, and so far, that hasn't happened...

You know, I don't think the platform is trying to challenge either IOS or android because it is clearly not a competition that they can win, at this point. In my opinion, the hardware is fine. BlackBerry's problem is a lack of wide consumer interest and developer commitment to the platform. Also, BlackBerry isn't in a hole, financially speaking. The issue is they don't have the popularity among neither consumers nor developers that they need to compete with the top two platforms. Considering this, I think their best chance lies in disrupting the status quo (which is what I think they are attempting to do with BBM), improve their badly damaged image, and innovate so that will be able to compete in the space that the market will be in a few years. Ideally, they will survive and be competitive at that point. The thing is, they have to figure out how to generate enough revenue to survive until then.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

IMHO, it’s too little, way too late. When I switched to the iOS platform back in 2010, I was desperate for a platform like BBM that would allow for group chats with family and friends who were still on the BB platform, as well as those who had moved on to iOS and Android. At the time, the family was 14 users, all on the BB platform. Then a couple switched to iOS... eventually everyone left the BB platform and are currently split 13-2 in favor of iOS over Android. I just don’t see the need these days. iMessage is more than enough. (We don’t talk to the Android users in our family, anyway!) :)

I may download it just out of some morbid curiosity... I do want to see how it works... but very doubtful that I will have a real need to use it.
I agree with 100% of your statement. I concur as i remember when I was a BB user BBM drove me nuts because as i said it is always on and you cannot turn it off so not only do you have your friends BBMing you or anyone else that is on your list or in your groups, You get all them, Your batter runs down quick and you also have a warm phone. Not interested in it.

The only point I do disagree with you on is that I will not be downloading it for any reason as iMessage is all I need period and serves every message purpose i need. :)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

If BBM can be used like iMessage and can text to any recipient whether they have an i-device or not can make all the difference. If the recipient, like with WhatsApp has to have it installed then it won't be more than a test app in my regard.
'D surely being an ex BB user like most of us must remember what BBM was like especially with group joins not to mention just individuals that you had PIN #s for. Remember you can never turn it off, It is always on getting constant notifications from people that you know that they know that knows them and so on. Like so many that are still at CB and many of my friends will tell you the one killer is called the battery. It just wipes it out and makes the device warm. I am totally happy with one message service and have no need for anything other than what I have now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

You know, I don't think the platform is trying to challenge either IOS or android because it is clearly not a competition that they can win, at this point. In my opinion, the hardware is fine. BlackBerry's problem is a lack of wide consumer interest and developer commitment to the platform. Also, BlackBerry isn't in a hole, financially speaking. The issue is they don't have the popularity among neither consumers nor developers that they need to compete with the top two platforms. Considering this, I think their best chance lies in disrupting the status quo (which is what I think they are attempting to do with BBM), improve their badly damaged image, and innovate so that will be able to compete in the space that the market will be in a few years. Ideally, they will survive and be competitive at that point. The thing is, they have to figure out how to generate enough revenue to survive until then.

If they weren't trying to compete with them, why make a smart phone in the design field of those phones? Not to say you're wrong, because honestly, none of us here really know what Blackberry is doing behind the scenes, but it seems to me that they saw the consumer market was leaving them in the dust, so they had to make a competitor...and the Z10 is a decent enough phone, it has great features, some decent development and has legitimately brought BB to the table again, i just don't think they did enough to catch up at all, much less compete. As you said, they have a badly damaged image, and i think their BBM app is actually going to regress their attempts at moving forward by keeping people on other platforms from actually looking at the newest blackberry devices because they can just use BBM on their iPhone, or Galaxy S or Note (etc.).

I really hope Blackberry's next device release is just mind blowing...i doubt it will be, but i hope it is so the whole market gets a jolt from the lower end of the spectrum.

ELavar

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

If they weren't trying to compete with them, why make a smart phone in the design field of those phones? Not to say you're wrong, because honestly, none of us here really know what Blackberry is doing behind the scenes, but it seems to me that they saw the consumer market was leaving them in the dust, so they had to make a competitor...and the Z10 is a decent enough phone, it has great features, some decent development and has legitimately brought BB to the table again, i just don't think they did enough to catch up at all, much less compete. As you said, they have a badly damaged image, and i think their BBM app is actually going to regress their attempts at moving forward by keeping people on other platforms from actually looking at the newest blackberry devices because they can just use BBM on their iPhone, or Galaxy S or Note (etc.).

I really hope Blackberry's next device release is just mind blowing...i doubt it will be, but i hope it is so the whole market gets a jolt from the lower end of the spectrum.

I agree and while their next phone will be much better than the Z10, it won't make much of a difference to the overwhelming majority of people on iOS and android. I don't think they necessarily made the Z10 to look like the iPhone and high-end android phones, though. I just think that when you are making a full touch smartphone, there aren't a whole lot of ways to innovate, differentiate and make a user-friendly phone within a similar price range. This is especially true for a company with limited financial resources. I also think that making BBM a cross platform messenger is a great idea, but they are late to the party. They could've dominated a few years ago, but other companies have caught up to a large degree. Also, BBM has become a bit irrelevant to people that are used to other alternatives. However, with those things considered, it is still a good idea. In my opinion, BBM is still arguably the best messenger for mobile communications, but it will be an issue of if it can become relevant again. BlackBerry is likely to gain more value by providing a cross platform service than by keeping BBM only on BlackBerry. BBM is useless to people without anyone to chat with (I know about it first-hand). The caveat is that if it is poorly executed, as BB has somewhat of a reputation for, all bets are off.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I know a few days ago I was excited about BBM for iOS, but why should I care now? Google just introduced Hangouts for iOS. It's everything I was looking for in a non-Apple messaging app and only requires G+ - which can be easily activated by anyone with a Gmail. No evangelizing required to get friends signed up.

Even more uphill battle for BBM now. Plus, Google released it's service the same day it announced it. Blackberry needs until the summer?

I wanted to give it a shot, but now? Meh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alexnaoumi

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I see a lot of people using BBM (because most of us have used blackberry in the past and if you have, you know BBM is the beezneez), but I do not see people going back to blackberry phones because of this. Blackberry has waited way too long to update their OS, they should've done BB10 years ago, but they sat on their asses and let their customers go to android and iOS

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

So one could only deduce that this is a way for iPhone users to communicate to their loyal BB friends via BBM...because i can't, for the life of me, understand why someone would use this as opposed to iMessage amongst iOS devices.

BBM has a ton more functions than iMessage....hands down

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

'D surely being an ex BB user like most of us must remember what BBM was like especially with group joins not to mention just individuals that you had PIN #s for. Remember you can never turn it off, It is always on getting constant notifications from people that you know that they know that knows them and so on. Like so many that are still at CB and many of my friends will tell you the one killer is called the battery. It just wipes it out and makes the device warm. I am totally happy with one message service and have no need for anything other than what I have now.

I so agree with the one messaging app....who wants to be checking BBM and iMessage and etc. I don't think this is a game changer at all.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have nothing against BBM, however, I will continue to use iMessage as it meets my messaging needs well and I see no reason to add anything else at this point in time. It will however be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

blackburberry

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

There are a number of my BB friends who did not transition to another cross platform messaging app. I had several groups on there, and used the app quite frequently. One of the feature I know many like on it is the D/R indicator, which confirmed that the message and been delivered, and whether it had been read.

Also, because it is a data app and doesn't use text messages, it is quite efficient, also, for being able to chat with friends around the world without international text charges. I had contacts in Australia, India, Pakistan, England, Ireland, and Canada, as well as South Africa. It was a great way to communicate.

The most well thought out post I've read in a long time. Thanks for your insight.

Full disclosure, yes I use a BlackBerry now but I have used imessage on the Apple platform and have been an apple user for quite some time. I can't put my finger on it and can't illustrate the benefits of BBM as eloquently as you Bergerking but there is something inherently nice about BBM that I have not yet found on any substitution text app.

KDLover

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Several things:

1. BBM is way better now than it was before when BlackBerrys were popular, with more far more features than before.

2. BBM (should many people choose to adopt it) will consolidate several apps into one ie. Skype, messaging, Twitter, facebook...

3. BBM makes sharing photos, videos, and any other types of files way quicker and easier than e-mail, text, or whatever other service you may use currently.

The one thing it has going against it is the negative perception. It will be THE best app for messaging, video chat and such but everyone is so deeply rooted in their belief that it is sh*t.

Will be interesting to see how it fares. I would love to have all my friends back on BBM as communicating outside of it seems so tedious.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro