BlackBerry is more than just hardware. I can't understand why so many folks are down on this. Why does it mean the end of BlackBerry?

Putting BBM on iOS is the smartest thing BlackBerry has ever done with the platform. It's a much better messaging tool than Whatsapp, and GTalk, and the video calling is seriously probably the best mobile video calling experience I've ever used. On any platform.

I can't wait to get a hold of this.
    I don't think people, in general, are opposed to BBM being on iOS or are downplaying how great of a tool it is. A lot of people are now using non-blackberry devices and don't have a need or use for BBM. At least that's my take on it and is the case with me.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 05-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.
    Relletti likes this.
    05-14-2013 08:13 PM
    05-14-2013 08:30 PM
    There are a number of my BB friends who did not transition to another cross platform messaging app. I had several groups on there, and used the app quite frequently. One of the feature I know many like on it is the D/R indicator, which confirmed that the message and been delivered, and whether it had been read.

Also, because it is a data app and doesn't use text messages, it is quite efficient, also, for being able to chat with friends around the world without international text charges. I had contacts in Australia, India, Pakistan, England, Ireland, and Canada, as well as South Africa. It was a great way to communicate.
    05-14-2013 10:27 PM
    There are a number of my BB friends who did not transition to another cross platform messaging app. I had several groups on there, and used the app quite frequently. One of the feature I know many like on it is the D/R indicator, which confirmed that the message and been delivered, and whether it had been read.

Also, because it is a data app and doesn't use text messages, it is quite efficient, also, for being able to chat with friends around the world without international text charges. I had contacts in Australia, India, Pakistan, England, Ireland, and Canada, as well as South Africa. It was a great way to communicate.
    Those sound like the same features iMessages has. But only for iOS users whereas bbm will soon be cross-platform. I'll be curious to try it out although I'm not sure I know anyone using bbm anymore.
    05-14-2013 10:31 PM
    BBM uses data and this is a global world we live in. A lot of people are traveling or have friends who travel. BBM would allow you, if integrated properly and working in fine order, to text, call, an video chat everyone (sorry MS users and um.....what is that other brand of smartphone) while you are in another country.

My friend went to London with his iphone...and didn't turn off data or texting...he just called people and got a bill near $1,000.....with BBM, you don't need another SIM card or another phone, you can just turn off your cell data, use wifi, and call people (as long as they are on wifi) like you normally would. I know you could always use email, but I think people just don't like communicating via email.

I don't see this as a game changer, but it should put Whats app and kik out of business....and then eventually lure some people over to BB
    05-15-2013 12:30 AM

It'll be nice to have a way to get groups back communicating with each other even if some members went to other platforms. But I agree with Jaguarr40 about BBM eating battery. If BB rolls out BBM for iOS and batteries start dying left and right, then it's a fail. If not, it will be nice to have options to bridge platforms.
    Jaguarr40 and BergerKing like this.
    05-15-2013 12:38 AM
    BBM uses data and this is a global world we live in. A lot of people are traveling or have friends who travel. BBM would allow you, if integrated properly and working in fine order, to text, call, an video chat everyone (sorry MS users and um.....what is that other brand of smartphone) while you are in another country.

My friend went to London with his iphone...and didn't turn off data or texting...he just called people and got a bill near $1,000.....with BBM, you don't need another SIM card or another phone, you can just turn off your cell data, use wifi, and call people (as long as they are on wifi) like you normally would. I know you could always use email, but I think people just don't like communicating via email.

I don't see this as a game changer, but it should put Whats app and kik out of business....and then eventually lure some people over to BB
    "if integrated properly and working in fine order" is the key here.
    Jaguarr40 and GingerSnapsBack like this.
    05-15-2013 12:39 AM
    I will probably get it because I have one daughter and husband on it and a few of my closest friends that are on Z10's, the rest of my family and friends are all on iPhone now but I'm not telling ANYONE else that I have it...NO ONE !! One of the reasons I left bb was because I was finding bbm becoming so intrusive. CB contacts that I never spoke on the phone with suddenly calling me on via bbm calling and peoples comments on status changes especially co-workers to the point of not being able to be myself. iMessage I'm more comfortable with....and that's my 2 cents
    Jaguarr40 and BergerKing like this.
    05-15-2013 09:18 AM
    I'm down for BBM available across platform. I don't think it's a ploy to get people to buy a BlackBerry. Seriously, why switch if you get BBM on iOS? I think it's a move to spread the BlackBerry brand. The simple fact that people are having conversation about the company seems like they are gaining a buzz whether it be, "I don't need BBM." "I want to try it out" or whatever. I say bring it on!

BBM going cross platform has the potential to make waves in social networking. Bold move indeed.
    linsiris likes this.
    05-15-2013 11:01 AM
    Bold move for sure.

With BBM voice etc, it is a much better application than Whatsapp which has been immensely successful. Also, BBM is much more featured than imessage.

This makes sense for the state of affairs that BlackBerry is in today. They have a chance to be THE Gold Standard for cross platform messaging. I've read articles in the news that these apps will be the "next social media". They enable users to have profiles etc. Who knows where this will be in 5 years. Noone could have predicted the present 5 years ago thats for sure. Im EXCITED!
    05-15-2013 12:32 PM
    Your reply is on-point, my friend. To the people who may feel offended at the things that are being stated here in regard to BBM, don't be. Many of us are former Blackberry owners and are not saying that Blackberry devices or BBM are not great or appreciated, but we are saying, at least I am, that making BBM available for iOS will not greatly improve Blackberry's status among the smartphone hierarchy, so to speak.
    Very well said and could not agree more. A number of us are ex-BB users and we remember BBM very well, At least I do and while I am not against it in any way, I have moved on and it is my perogative to stay on the messaging service with the platform I am using now and it's Native service which just happens to be iOS.
    05-15-2013 01:42 PM
    Bold move for sure.

With BBM voice etc, it is a much better application than Whatsapp which has been immensely successful. Also, BBM is much more featured than imessage.

This makes sense for the state of affairs that BlackBerry is in today. They have a chance to be THE Gold Standard for cross platform messaging. I've read articles in the news that these apps will be the "next social media". They enable users to have profiles etc. Who knows where this will be in 5 years. Noone could have predicted the present 5 years ago thats for sure. Im EXCITED!
    Google is doing the same thing now. MS already has. As an iOS user, i don't mind having all BBM, skype, and google's offering on my iphone to accommodate my contacts on those platforms (especially if those services are preinstalled on their phones). But none of these will get me to buy a BB, android, or wp8 phone. With an iphone now, you have it all. With any of the others, there's no imessage. It's always best to have what others already have preinstalled. That way, it just works.

Also, keep in mind google now which was integrated into the google search app for iOS. It's not a great experience on iOS because it cannot be baked into iOS. In fact, it's something that isn't worth having imo. How good can BBM be on non-BB devices? Don't assume it's such a stellar experience yet.
    05-15-2013 03:04 PM
    That D/R thing I wish I could turn off. The delivered is nice but I don't want people to see if I've read something. I may have time to read it but not respond and don't need an additional dozen messages asking what I'm doing. At least with iMessage, I can turn it on and off.
    05-15-2013 03:22 PM
    Your reply is on-point, my friend. To the people who may feel offended at the things that are being stated here in regard to BBM, don't be. Many of us are former Blackberry owners and are not saying that Blackberry devices or BBM are not great or appreciated, but we are saying, at least I am, that making BBM available for iOS will not greatly improve Blackberry's status among the smartphone hierarchy, so to speak.
    I have not gotten the idea that anyone has really become offended at anything being said here as opposed to just simply giving their own personal opinions. Right or wrong, I don't think there is either. I just think that there are many varying opinions based on the platform people are using right now and even the willingness to try BBM on cross platform.
    05-15-2013 04:27 PM
    I have not gotten the idea that anyone has really become offended at anything being said here as opposed to just simply giving their own personal opinions. Right or wrong, I don't think there is either. I just think that there are many varying opinions based on the platform people are using right now and even the willingness to try BBM on cross platform.
    I hope people aren't offended. I'm sure a lot of people will download it just to see what it's like, and I more than likely will, too, but unless the people I normally associate with adapt to using it in lieu of iMessage or another preferred messaging app since they are no longer Blackberry device users, I doubt I'll find it useful. I hope I'm wrong, though.
    05-15-2013 06:11 PM
    Those sound like the same features iMessages has. But only for iOS users whereas bbm will soon be cross-platform. I'll be curious to try it out although I'm not sure I know anyone using bbm anymore.
    I still know quite a few, fortunately. Currently using WhatsApp to bridge the gap, so I'll be looking to see how this is implemented.
    05-16-2013 02:06 AM
    It'll be nice to have a way to get groups back communicating with each other even if some members went to other platforms. But I agree with Jaguarr40 about BBM eating battery. If BB rolls out BBM for iOS and batteries start dying left and right, then it's a fail. If not, it will be nice to have options to bridge platforms.
    I concur. My biggest BBM battery killer was the group joins, as I was in groups dealing with OS changes, and reorganizing each time someone upgraded was a PITA. With a little discipline, though, this was kept in check.
    Jaguarr40 likes this.
    05-16-2013 02:09 AM
    It's way too late! BBM was big at the time BlackBerry was big, just like now iMessage is "only" supported by iPhone owners.
    The future of messaging belong to device agnostic services like WhatsApp!
    05-16-2013 05:01 AM
    I hope people aren't offended. I'm sure a lot of people will download it just to see what it's like, and I more than likely will, too, but unless the people I normally associate with adapt to using it in lieu of iMessage or another preferred messaging app since they are no longer Blackberry device users, I doubt I'll find it useful. I hope I'm wrong, though.
    Well like I had previously stated I did not get the impression that anyone was offended, It has it's good points and bad as I am sure to certain people iMessage does too. Personally I can remember BBM very well and why I never used it when I owned a BB. That does not make anyone here voicing opinions right or wrong about anything. Merely stating opinions is a good thing and gets people talking and that is the main purpose of this thread to begin with.
    05-16-2013 09:09 AM
    Well like I had previously stated I did not get the impression that anyone was offended, It has it's good points and bad as I am sure to certain people iMessage does too. Personally I can remember BBM very well and why I never used it when I owned a BB. That does not make anyone here voicing opinions right or wrong about anything. Merely stating opinions is a good thing and gets people talking and that is the main purpose of this thread to begin with.
    IMHO, it’s too little, way too late. When I switched to the iOS platform back in 2010, I was desperate for a platform like BBM that would allow for group chats with family and friends who were still on the BB platform, as well as those who had moved on to iOS and Android. At the time, the family was 14 users, all on the BB platform. Then a couple switched to iOS... eventually everyone left the BB platform and are currently split 13-2 in favor of iOS over Android. I just don’t see the need these days. iMessage is more than enough. (We don’t talk to the Android users in our family, anyway!)

I may download it just out of some morbid curiosity... I do want to see how it works... but very doubtful that I will have a real need to use it.
    Dryland and Jaguarr40 like this.
    05-16-2013 09:34 AM
    Personally, it just seems like another step in the direction of Blackberry's swan song...the kind of realization that they are not going to be able to compete at the top of the smart phone food chain, so they need to make the environment as usable as possible for the BB loyal to prevent them from jumping ship and moving to another platform (or at least slow the bleed a little).
    I'm not sure about that. I think it's a direct attack on WhatsApp. I've obviously used both and I prefer BBM hands down. Considering the fact that WhatsApp has proved than cross-platform messaging can be profitable, BlackBerry needs to provide a better solution and get adoption in order to accomplish their ultimate goal, which I think is generating additional revenue for the platform.
    05-16-2013 02:09 PM
    I'm not sure about that. I think it's a direct attack on WhatsApp. I've obviously used both and I prefer BBM hands down. Considering the fact that WhatsApp has proved than cross-platform messaging can be profitable, BlackBerry needs to provide a better solution and get adoption in order to accomplish their ultimate goal, which I think is generating additional revenue for the platform.
    If BBM can be used like iMessage and can text to any recipient whether they have an i-device or not can make all the difference. If the recipient, like with WhatsApp has to have it installed then it won't be more than a test app in my regard.
    05-16-2013 02:15 PM
    Too little...too late. If they feel an app whose ultimate challenge is "WhatsApp" is going to generate the kind of revenue they need to survive this freshman attempt at challenging the iPhone and Samsung's offerings, they are in for a world of hurt. Sure, it will certainly give the existing user base something profoundly better than what they had, but let's be honest, BBM on multiple platforms isn't going to drive significant traffic to the company to the extent they need to pull themselves out of the hole they were in when the Z10 hit the market, they need their hardware to make major ripples on the market, and so far, that hasn't happened...
    05-16-2013 02:38 PM
    Too little...too late. If they feel an app whose ultimate challenge is "WhatsApp" is going to generate the kind of revenue they need to survive this freshman attempt at challenging the iPhone and Samsung's offerings, they are in for a world of hurt. Sure, it will certainly give the existing user base something profoundly better than what they had, but let's be honest, BBM on multiple platforms isn't going to drive significant traffic to the company to the extent they need to pull themselves out of the hole they were in when the Z10 hit the market, they need their hardware to make major ripples on the market, and so far, that hasn't happened...
    You know, I don't think the platform is trying to challenge either IOS or android because it is clearly not a competition that they can win, at this point. In my opinion, the hardware is fine. BlackBerry's problem is a lack of wide consumer interest and developer commitment to the platform. Also, BlackBerry isn't in a hole, financially speaking. The issue is they don't have the popularity among neither consumers nor developers that they need to compete with the top two platforms. Considering this, I think their best chance lies in disrupting the status quo (which is what I think they are attempting to do with BBM), improve their badly damaged image, and innovate so that will be able to compete in the space that the market will be in a few years. Ideally, they will survive and be competitive at that point. The thing is, they have to figure out how to generate enough revenue to survive until then.
    05-16-2013 04:26 PM
    IMHO, it’s too little, way too late. When I switched to the iOS platform back in 2010, I was desperate for a platform like BBM that would allow for group chats with family and friends who were still on the BB platform, as well as those who had moved on to iOS and Android. At the time, the family was 14 users, all on the BB platform. Then a couple switched to iOS... eventually everyone left the BB platform and are currently split 13-2 in favor of iOS over Android. I just don’t see the need these days. iMessage is more than enough. (We don’t talk to the Android users in our family, anyway!)

I may download it just out of some morbid curiosity... I do want to see how it works... but very doubtful that I will have a real need to use it.
    I agree with 100% of your statement. I concur as i remember when I was a BB user BBM drove me nuts because as i said it is always on and you cannot turn it off so not only do you have your friends BBMing you or anyone else that is on your list or in your groups, You get all them, Your batter runs down quick and you also have a warm phone. Not interested in it.

The only point I do disagree with you on is that I will not be downloading it for any reason as iMessage is all I need period and serves every message purpose i need.
    05-16-2013 07:52 PM
72 123